• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

How to Treat Thunderstorm, Firework and Other Noise Sensitivities

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi everyone-

During last week's webinar (which is archived for anyone who didnt get to attend) we discussed various ways to temporarily soothe your pet who is sensitive (and especially those who are over-sensitive) to noises such as storms and fireworks.

Methods such as behavior modification/training, playing soothing music, maintaining an upbeat tone, supplements, essential oils, etc. (you can find all this info in the 6/24/19 Empower Hour!).

During the next session (7/1/19) discuss curative treatment of your oversensitive pets will be discussed.

Curative treatments are ones that improve your pets' internal balance to keep the noise (or other) triggers from becoming a problem.

There are a number of ways to do this such as homeopathy, Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda.

Click/tap here for the sudden fear monograph with specific homeopathic medicines which we will discuss on Monday.

Adaptogenic herbs, which are ones that can help internal balance are important both in Ayurveda and TCM.

I'll write further about them in another post and add some information to the HMDM research folder.

And then there's the most scientific (IMHO) treatment method which is to stimulate healing using homeopathy.

Here's some information from the Vitality and Balance using homeopathy "Sudden Fear" monograph that is attached above:

Any animal can develop sudden fears. Often these seem to come out of the blue and nothing else seems to be wrong with your pet. A sudden fear can be of something specific and obvious like thunder, emptying the dishwasher or the teeter hitting the ground in agility. But behavior changes can be subtle and hard to define but at other times they may be obvious.

Sudden fears can totally eliminated by addressing the underlying cause as discussed in this monograph. Management changes and psychoactive drug treatment can be helpful but they also cover up symptoms and don’t get to the root of the problem. Also, often these are not very effective and the drugs can have side-effects that can be worse than the symptom being treated.

When treated internally with homeopathy, fears can permanently resolve. Otherwise, they can persist and worsen over the years.

One very important take home is that sometimes, sudden fears and other behavior changes develop soon after vaccinations, especially those for rabies. Keep an eye out for this.

The webinar will help put sudden fears into the context of any sensitivity your pet may have whether it's mild or extreme.

Last edited:

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Look forward to this. I have a dog who has always had a fear of interior stairs in my house, despite no negative experience that I can tell (she never used them). Have not tried homeopathy with her. Had another who became phobic of thunderstorms following a shooting (twelve shots right near my house)--shell shocked, literally, after that, no amount of thunder shirts or oils or music helped. Another who became phobic of lots of things (i.e., ceiling fans) after house alarm malfunctioned and went on for twenty minutes straight. After that, she would become direly panicked by certain things, as if she was being led to the slaughter. All this lessened after a dose of Aconite given two years later, for a totally different reason. Another dog had a thunderstorm phobia triggered by a loud thunderstorm and hailstorm and was like that for two years until Phosporous was given for a different reason. Dog takes Phosphorous now and I noticed that he has been calm for storms for the past year..around when the first dose was given. (I say storms, because my thunderstorm phobic dogs are the same ones who are phobic of fireworks)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing these experiences Cassandra!

Let's talk further about Aconite and Phosphorus for your pups during the webinar.

How often, and what potency, of Phosphorus is your pup currently taking?

As you know, if the Phos (or any homeopathic medicine) is helping improve their underlying internal balance, the firework phobia (and other abnormal symptoms) should also be improving.

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
My dog initially took it last summer for droplets of blood coming from manly bits when stressed out over a girl in season. This was a 30c and “accidentally” addressed the thunder/fireworks situation and stopped the blood droplets but didn’t address the actual underlying cause that I was unaware of (stones)

Now, after having been found to have a small splenic mass, he’s having phosphorus 1m, two weeks on, two weeks off

We are working with Dr Ramelmeier. Turns out phosphorus is a constitutional remedy for my pup and the stones, splenic mass etc all fit so I feel confident that we are treating the underlying energetic imbalance and bringing him to his healthiest possible state

He’s also less jumpy. Hoping tonight he’s fine with fireworks.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom