• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

How to Stay Healthy During The Pandemic (and always)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wise words from our naturopath-homeopath friend Dr. Lisa Samet:

Developing and Maintaining Your
Good Health
It really strikes me as this pandemic drags on that the people who have the least to fear are those who have taken good care of their health all along. Sure, there are some “exceptional” cases of those who are young and healthy succumbing to the disease, but these cases are, despite the media coverage of them, exceptionally rare.

Those who are most at risk are the elderly (whose immune systems gradually weaken with age) and those with underlying conditions: diabetes, heart disease, obesity, upper respiratory conditions, etc. These conditions are often a result of poor lifestyle choices. Without a doubt, some people suffering from them have genetic diseases. But the majority have made poor lifestyle decisions for much of their adult lives, as the above conditions are largely preventable with education and better habits. Suddenly, we have to come face to face with the fact that taking a magic Rx pill while continuing to make unsatisfactory choices will no longer suffice.

Good health is an investment. I’m reminded of the idea of saving for a rainy day. It doesn’t seem to be such a popular concept now, but in my parents’ day it certainly was. Investing in good health over the years pays off now when one is facing that rainy day, COVID-19. The good news is it’s (almost) never too late to start making better choices.

I might be accused of preaching to the converted here. Obviously, that you are reading this newsletter and are a fan of homeopathy, you probably care more about your health that the average person, and have taken steps to build and maintain your good health. If that is the case, I hope you face COVID-19 with confidence, knowing that your good health and strong immunity will keep you safe from having a serious case of it, should you get it at all.

I sincerely hope that one outcome of this crazy time is that it serves as a wakeup call for how precious good health is… more important than satisfying our taste buds, or the temptation to watch another Netflix episode rather than walking outside in the fresh air or doing a yoga class on-line (for the moment).

Let’s not rely on magic pills to save us, homeopathy included. Let’s commit to taking our health in hand as the precious resource it is, and making good choices now and every day. I am no saint, but I do try to make good choices regularly. Let’s review what that looks like:

1. EAT WELL. I’m a big fan of a vegan diet (90% anyway, I don’t like things too tight). Why? Because studies have shown that a plant-based diet promotes alkalinity in the body and reduces inflammation, thereby reducing the likelihood of each of the lifestyle diseases mentioned earlier. Also, because eating animals is very costly for the planet and often very cruel to the animals being raised for our consumption (particularly factory farming). If you can’t go all the way, go part of the way toward plant-based eating. And make sure the animal products you do eat are organic and if possible from a small, local farm.

1. EXERCISE REGULARLY. Anything. Walk, jog, yoga, Pilates, weights, aerobics, Zumba, gyms, the list is endless. Commit to it and do it. Numerous times per week. Even if it’s not convenient, try to find a way.

1. MANAGE STRESS. These are extraordinary times to say the least. Against the backdrop of planetary health which seems to be in free-fall, we are facing a little-understood virus which makes it hard to make any pronouncements whatsoever about the future, and all of this stress (and other factors) are bringing to the forefront deeply entrenched societal problems and systems that are not functioning well, or at all. Many feel they are at the end of their tether. How to manage? Find something grounding, whether it be a philosophy of life that helps you through, or a practice such as yoga or meditation or prayer. Talking about your feelings in a vulnerable and honest way, whether with a friend, family member you feel close to or a therapist, can be enormously helpful. None of us are alone with this stress and it’s a good time to strengthen bonds with others. Being outdoors in nature is enormously grounding. Spend time in the sun and among the trees – they’ve seen it all. Consider tapping (EFT) or Psych-K to see you through.

1. SLEEP. Go to bed earlier. I talk to patients many times a day who don’t get enough sleep because they can’t get to bed before midnight, or even 2am. Then they’re woken up early by children or obligations. The sleep we get before midnight has more value than the sleep we get after midnight. Aim for 7-8 hours of deep sleep, use a natural sleep formula if needed. Everything looks more manageable when we are rested.

1. Take your homeopathic “chronic” remedy regularly when feeling upset or out of sorts. As you probably know, homeopathy treats people in a wholistic manner…. physically, mentally and emotionally. In my last newsletter, I published a list of remedies to take for “acute” emotional distress – perhaps refer to that again. I’m not a fan of taking a huge number of supplements daily, but some to consider: Vit D, Vit C, NAC, Zinc… and for stress: 5-HTP, Holy Basil, Ashwaganda, Rhodiola, Passionflower, Valerian.

1. The next time you go for blood work, consider asking your MD or ND to check the following lab values to assess your general state of health: a CBC – general blood panel, a cholesterol panel, your blood sugar – most important is your HA1c, a measure of how your body has managed sugar over the past 3 months, measures of the general inflammation in your body, such as sedimentation rate (ESR), homocysteine, C-reactive protein (CRP), a thyroid panel which measures T3 & T4 in addition to TSH, Vitamins B-12 and D, and your hemoglobin to see if you are anemic. While these values don’t tell us everything, they can highlight problems before they become too severe. And if there are any red flags, try to address them by natural means, rather than prescription medication which often simply manages symptoms but doesn’t address the root cause of the disturbance.
Wishing each and every one of you the very best in the coming weeks and months as the old falls away and the new emerges.

Lisa Samet, ND

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom