• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

How to Calculate Dose of Supplements or Medications for Pets

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
In another thread, Lori expressed confusion about how much of the phosphorus binder Phos-Bind from Rx Vitamins to use.

This was the perfect question to inspire this thread.

Here's what to do.

1. Find the dose on the label. For Phos-Bind it says 100mg/kg.

2. If the dose is in kg and you know how many pounds your pet weighs, divide by 2.2. For example, a 50 pound pet is 50/2.2= 22.73 kg. A 10 pound kitty is 4.5 kg.

3. Find the concentration of the product on the label. In this case, 500mg/scoop or 1,000mg/teaspoon.

4. Calculate your pet's dose by multiplying weight by dose. For the 50 pound (22.7 kg) dog this would be 22.73 kg x 100 (the 100mg/kg dose on the label) or 2,273mg.

5. Get the dose by dividing the dose by the concentration. In this case, 2,273/1,000/tsp or 2.73 tsps.

The 50 pound pup would therefore get 2.5+ tsp of Phos Bind

Another example is Hemp Rx which is a CBD also from Rx Vitamins.

The dose on the bottle is .1-.5mg/kg.

Taking the low end of the dose we get this calculation for the same 22.73 kg/dog.:

22.73 x.1 mg/kg=2.3mg

The bottle also says .5mg/drop. So the low end of the dose is about 4 drops.

As per the bottle label, this dose can be increased quite a bit.

Personally, I try to avoid medications and supplements that work pharmacologically (vs. energetically) and keep any I do use within a low dose.

Whenever possible I advise trying to activate natural healing mechanisms, with homeopathic medicines, instead.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom