Hot Spots and Chewing Paws

SuzanneS

Hi All. I am new to the group. This past Monday, I had my two golden retrievers to the vet, one (Cooper) for a pretty bad hot spot and the other (Dug) for chewing his paws until they were raw. Prior to the visit, I had heard quite a few stories regarding Apoquel and decided if the vet were to prescribe it, I would ask him for something else. Well after giving Cooper a mild sedative (which I wasn't happy about) to shave the hot spot and clean the area, the vet prescribed Apoquel and the antibiotic, Cefpodoxime. I expressed my concerns and told the vet that the golden retriever community in which I belong was suggesting Apoquel not be given to dogs. The community suggested using Cytopoint instead. I mentioned this to the vet, he was surprised by my comment. I ended up feeling somewhat pressured to go with the Apoquel. For Dug, because he had a cancer scare at 18 months, I was adamant that he not receive the Apoquel. I had contacted Dug's oncologist during the visit to the vet but did not hear back from him until the next day. Dug received an injection of Cytopoint. When I did hear back from the oncologist, he said he had mixed feelings about the Apoquel and he felt Cytopoint was a safer choice based on what he knew.

With all that being said, I have felt very uncomfortable giving Cooper the medication. As of Monday, I have given Cooper 1 tablet of Apoquel (16 MG) twice a day. This is to continue for seven days and then go to once a day for another week. I am giving him the Cefpodoxime once a day for 21 days. I have read up Apoquel and I no longer want to give it to Cooper nor the antibiotic. Regarding, BEAM - Cooper's behavior, energy, appetite, and mood are all good. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for hot spots just in case after I take Cooper off the medications, his hot spot flares again. And, do you have any recommendations for Dug regarding chewing his paws because I will not be having him get another shot. Thanks in advance. Suzanne

novasimpson

Hello Suzanne,

Poor pups!! I know there are members on the forum that know a lot more about natural treatment options: change in food? Remedies? Supplements?

Drug-wise in humans (and can be used in dogs too) with excessive histamine --we use Benadryl, famotidine and doxepin (antidepressant that actually works with chronic itching--and by prescription). I don't think drugs should be the first choice but I have definitely been in a desperate situation with Tater trying to "run away" from her itchy skin! And perhaps these drugs are less hurtful to the internal balance??

Tater's balance has improved and we give her Allergy Support with quercetin to help prevent her seasonal allergies.

Also I wonder about topical colloidal silver if the hotspots are infected?

Sending loving energy to the pups! ❤

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Suzanne-

Thanks for making your first post! 🙏

This is a really important topic so you may want to put the itching and skin problems in context so you can make the best decisions for Cooper and Dug.

The context is that external (skin and ear) health challenges are usually much less serious than internal problems. They pose little risk to the pups.

However, there is risk of organ failure and infection from the anti-inflammatories Apoquel and Cytopoint.

In addition, the anti-biotic will disrupt the microbiome and predispose to ther problems.

To increase their comfort, massage 99% pure and organic aloe vera into the red areas. Sprinkle cayenne pepper on top of the aloe both to decrease licking and to speed healing.

In addition, Marcellin salve is an incredible skin healer. I used it on my own second degree burn and it was pain free by the next day and healed within a week.

However, aloe and other soothing agents do not treat the underlying immune imbalance.

I'd advise that you focus on improving balance and building and preserving vitality.

For example, start with a fresh and raw diet, use the blueberry-kale smoothie (1/2 cup/meal), and promoting sniff walks and snuffle mat use.

You'll find many other suggestions in the allergy resources:

SuzanneS

Thank you Dr. Jeff for responding to my post. Thank you also for your suggestions. I will definitely try some of your suggestions.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Suzanne.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom