• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Honest Kitchen

SuzanneS

All-Access Member
Registered
My golden retrievers have been eating Honest Kitchen for just over a month. They love it and overall their B.E.A.M is really good. Really good energy and itchiness is gone. I am concerned because I was recently told that Honest Kitchen has synthetic vitamins and a dog cannot process them. Is this your understanding of this product and if so, what do you recommend I do?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic news about your pups!

I have been recommending Honest Kitchen for years and think it is a great product.

However, an even less processed and totally fresh and raw diet is even better.

Perhaps start incorporating 25% chicken, beef, lamb, pork, etc. kale, blueberries, etc. in with each meal.

Doing this alone will significantly increase vitality and cellular energy to help optimize healing mechanisms and balance.

I am unsure of the current source of the vitamins in HK, but would not be concerned about any negative effect that they might have.

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Yes, Honest Kitchen contains synthetic vitamins and added minerals:

For example, the ingredient list in their Grain-Free Turkey is:
Dehydrated turkey, organic flaxseed, dehydrated potatoes, dehydrated spinach, dehydrated carrots, dried organic coconut, dried apples, dehydrated eggs, dried bananas, dehydrated celery, dried cranberries, dehydrated organic kelp

minerals [tricalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, iron amino acid chelate, potassium iodide, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite], taurine

vitamins [vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5), riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D3 supplement], EPA, DHA

Their are other companies whose raw products don't contain as many or no synthetics at all, which I like: Answers, Primal, Nature's Logic, Bones and Co to name a few. Synthetics aren't natural - real food is.

I second Dr. Jeff that adding other fresh food to Honest Kitchen is a good idea. I also would encourage rotating brands to increase variety which will help BEAM even more.

To be honest, Honest Kitchen isn't my favorite. I like to see organ meat in the diet and less starch - HK contains white potato which can increase inflammation in some pets.

That's my two cents!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks @Dr. Sue, for adding the reminder to stick with more raw including the organ meats not in HK.

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
What do you think about ZiwiPeak? It's not the only food I feed. I also feed Answers and home made.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I like it (so do my dogs)!

Dr. Sue?

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Ernie and Penny go bonkers over Ziwi. More so than anything else except Answers Goat Milk Treats. I just saw that they have three new varieties called the provenance series:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom