• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Honest Kitchen

SuzanneS

VIP Member
Registered
My golden retrievers have been eating Honest Kitchen for just over a month. They love it and overall their B.E.A.M is really good. Really good energy and itchiness is gone. I am concerned because I was recently told that Honest Kitchen has synthetic vitamins and a dog cannot process them. Is this your understanding of this product and if so, what do you recommend I do?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic news about your pups!

I have been recommending Honest Kitchen for years and think it is a great product.

However, an even less processed and totally fresh and raw diet is even better.

Perhaps start incorporating 25% chicken, beef, lamb, pork, etc. kale, blueberries, etc. in with each meal.

Doing this alone will significantly increase vitality and cellular energy to help optimize healing mechanisms and balance.

I am unsure of the current source of the vitamins in HK, but would not be concerned about any negative effect that they might have.

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Yes, Honest Kitchen contains synthetic vitamins and added minerals:

For example, the ingredient list in their Grain-Free Turkey is:
Dehydrated turkey, organic flaxseed, dehydrated potatoes, dehydrated spinach, dehydrated carrots, dried organic coconut, dried apples, dehydrated eggs, dried bananas, dehydrated celery, dried cranberries, dehydrated organic kelp

minerals [tricalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, iron amino acid chelate, potassium iodide, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite], taurine

vitamins [vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5), riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D3 supplement], EPA, DHA

Their are other companies whose raw products don't contain as many or no synthetics at all, which I like: Answers, Primal, Nature's Logic, Bones and Co to name a few. Synthetics aren't natural - real food is.

I second Dr. Jeff that adding other fresh food to Honest Kitchen is a good idea. I also would encourage rotating brands to increase variety which will help BEAM even more.

To be honest, Honest Kitchen isn't my favorite. I like to see organ meat in the diet and less starch - HK contains white potato which can increase inflammation in some pets.

That's my two cents!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks @Dr. Sue, for adding the reminder to stick with more raw including the organ meats not in HK.

lizkunz

VIP Member
Registered
What do you think about ZiwiPeak? It's not the only food I feed. I also feed Answers and home made.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I like it (so do my dogs)!

Dr. Sue?

lizkunz

VIP Member
Registered
Ernie and Penny go bonkers over Ziwi. More so than anything else except Answers Goat Milk Treats. I just saw that they have three new varieties called the provenance series:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom