• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Homeopathy for acutes

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
There are many ways in which you can learn to help yourself help your pet in times of sudden illness or injury. Although it’s always best to run this by your homeopath, if you cannot reach him in an emergency, there is still much you can do safely.

Here’s a nice example: last week my dog became lame in a rear leg some time after a vigorous exercise session. Her unwillingness to use the leg was the only real symptom – there was no obvious joint damage or anything she couldn’t actually do with the leg. Assuming it was a soft tissue injury, and ruling out a completely torn ligament, I gave Arnica for any swelling and bruising, and then the more specific Ruta Graveolens, which loves sprains and strains. I also used an ice pack on it at intervals. After a few days she was using the leg but still favoring it, and I noticed it was worse upon arising after a rest or sleep. Well, heck, there’s a remedy that does exactly that, Rhus Tox. This morning I gave her one dose, and she soon showed no signs of favoring the leg at all, and was quite active all day. I love it when it works like that!

This is not to tell you specific remedies to use, but only to illustrate what a working knowledge and a first aid kit can do. This part ISN’T rocket science, and can be mastered with a good book or short course. The only problem is that, as soon as you start seeing these little miracles you’ll want to keep on learning more:)

ginny

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
And another nice acute resolution: Five days ago, my sweet lady dog was attacked by another on-lead dog in a pet store. Everything had looked fine for a greeting, and they were mutually sniffing when he rose up and attacked her head. We pulled them apart instantly, with what appeared to be no damage, but after I got her back to the truck I noted that she had what are probably claw injuries around her left eye: three parallel scratches, and one deeper laceration on the upper eyelid, and another two minor scratches, one inboard of the eye and one below it on the cheek.
She was in no distress, and there was no excessive bleeding, nor were sutures indicated. I was more than an hour from home, but when I got there I gave one dose of Arnica 30c, in case the eye was bruised or damaged – Arnica is a big eye remedy. A few minutes later I gave a dose of Hypericum, repeated it again later that evening, and again in the morning. I also used Hyper-Cal ointment on the scratches three times. She has healed remarkably quickly, as I knew she would. But it’s nice to have something to DO, that you know will be beneficial and speed healing. My doses are all given in water: for acute use it’s one tiny pellet dissolved in four ounces of water, succussed ten times – and she gets a spoonful in a dish with a little cream.

ginny

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing your experience Ginny. As you well know, acute prescribing is extremely rewarding. The significant symptoms are “in your face” and readily apparent.

Dr. Jeff

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom