• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Home cooked meals

EmilyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I have a very sensitive Chihuahua terrier mix. She was having so many stomach issues. I began cooking for her: boiled chicken, spinach, and sweet potato, with a little bit of chicken broth.
Is this enough to keep her health?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome to the forum, Emily, and thanks so much for making your first post! ?

Excellent question about your home-cooked diet and the answer depends on a few important factors which will help provide context to your question.

First is about variety. Is she getting any food besides the things you mentioned?

What happens if you try introducing anything else?

Exactly what were her sensitive stomach issues and was there a vet diagnosis?

What happened when you started cooking for her?

How old is she and is she sensitive in other ways? If so, how?

In the past, has she had any other medical problems?

Thanks again for your replies. I look forward to getting to know you and your adorable pup (what's her name?).

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Hi Emily,

This is a great question! You're on the right track by wanting to cook real food for your little dog, and it's good to get some guidance here. Once you answer Dr. Jeff's questions it will be easier to help you with the ingredients in your dog's home-prepared diet. From a Chinese Medicine point of view certain fresh foods can be chosen to better balance your little dog and help with stomach issues, while others may cause greater imbalance. Proportions of each ingredient are also important as well as making sure that the meal has variety and is complete and balanced by adding other foods or supplements over the long term.

I'd also like to know what she's been eating up to this point!

Warmly,

Dr. Sue

EmilyS

All-Access Member
Registered

Excellent question about your home-cooked diet and the answer depends on a few important factors which will help provide context to your question.

First is about variety. Is she getting any food besides the things you mentioned?

Thanks again for your replies. I look forward to getting to know you and your adorable pup (what's her name?).

Dear Dr Jeff,
Thank you. I rescued Reiki straight off the street. She had been dumped at about 1 year old. The first year she had what looked like mini seizures, but the Dr's did not seem to have a clue because they never got to see them.
They thought she had shuntz disease. One Dr said she did have it. After
many test they said no. Then she would have times where she would nit eat and her belly would look very bloated. They said it might be intestinal. They prescribed her hill's low protein. She hated it. They more I read about it the more concerns I had. She was not pooping regularly. I ordered freshly made meals for her., She started doing great. So then I started cooking myself. She pops regularly and her energy is back and I have not had any symptoms since. Shell be about 6 in September. I do not give her other foods because usually symptoms will show up ( no regular pooping, belly swollen) I boil antibiotic free chicken, sweet potato, and spinach or broccoli or cauliflower. Just to switch it up. I put some broth in with it Chicken or chicken bone broth and a little butter.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Good work getting rid of her mini seizures! As @Dr. Sue mentioned, keep on a variety if fresh foods. How long has she been on them?

For about how long has she now gone without vomiting, or other sensitive stomach issues?

EmilyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Good work getting rid of her mini seizures! As @Dr. Sue mentioned, keep on a variety if fresh foods. How long has she been on them?

For about how long has she now gone without vomiting, or other sensitive stomach issues?
She’s been doing well for 3-4 months.
should I be giving her more of a variety? I only cook her chocked with vegetables. Should she get red meat sometime?
Emily

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom