• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Holistic Care Book

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I recently previewed a copy of Lise Hansen’s “The Complete Book of Dog & Cat Health”. Dr. Hansen is an holistic practitioner in the UK and Denmark, and a friend and colleague in the BAHVS (British Association of Homeopathic Surgeons). This is the review that I wrote for the book; it is now available on Amazon. It would be a fabulous New Years or Epiphany gift to animal lovers in your life, or yourself!

I am delighted with the content, presentation, and style of this book. As an holistic practitioner in the US, I struggle to find texts for my clients. Conventional care books can be overly mechanistic and heavily reliant on pharmaceuticals, while holistic tests tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater, giving solely a negative view of conventional medicine.

Dr. Hansen has attained a balance: in evaluating and treating the whole patient, she merges a rational use of conventional medicine with appropriate application and recommendation of complementary modalities. The result is a truly integrative approach, respectful of the needs of the caretaker and the individuality of the patient. Some specific issues discussed, like Angiostrongylus, are not problems in the US, yet the principles discussed are valid for any disease problem.

I am particularly appreciative of Dr. Hansen’s clear and direct discussion of three topics where clients (and vets) need more information: diet, vaccination, and neutering. The explosion of information on these topics in the last five to ten years is remarkable. What is equally remarkable is how slowly the information is filtering into mainstream veterinary medicine. Much of the impetus to changing practices in these areas has come from animal guardians who have become aware of the scientific studies. Dr. Hansen’s book consolidates current scientific information and suggests sensible practices.

I do not agree with every single word in this book; that would be unrealistic, as each holistic practitioner has a somewhat different approach based on their experience and strengths. I do understand and respect Dr. Hansen’s approach, and support her conclusions and recommendations. This is, at last, a care book that I can enthusiastically recommend to my clients.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic, thanks so much for sharing this great recommendation with us @Dr. Sara!

It sounds like Dr. Hansen is using a version of the Vitality and Balance System.

I can't wait to read the book.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom