• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Herbs for Cat with Kidney Disease

Keely Parr

VIP Member
Registered
Good evening:

I am contemplating purchasing RX Renal for my soon to be 16-year old cat with kidney disease. (Most recent blood tests showed SDMA of 17, creatinine of 4.2 and BUN of 45) I am also contemplating giving him Burdock root and was wondering whether in your experience giving a cat a single herb is more beneficial than the combination of herbs used in RX Renal.

I gave him parsley juice this afternoon and it has perked him up.

Thank you,
Keely D. Parr

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Keely-

Every individual reacts to any intervention differently but in general herbal combinations can have synergistic effects whereas single herbs don't.

Here's another herbal mix that could be helpful:

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Keely
When treating my geriatric feline kidney patients, I try to use the smallest number of the most effective and palatable treatments, noting the cat's attitude and appetite, and overall BEAM.
Cats are often not keen on the taste of certain herbs. That is why I usually start treatment with constitutional homeopathic prescribing whenever possible, as homeopathic medicines are so easy to give any animal, even cats!
Some of my clients are not interested in homeopathy, preferring a nutritional and herbal approach.
Nutritionally, a highly palatable wet diet with a moderate amount of high quality protein is essential. It is rarely a good idea to severely restrict dietary protein, as that also decreases blood flow to the kidneys. If the cat is feeling well, the usual diet can be maintained in many cases, often with increased liquid added. Cats with kidney disease should not be fed a dry diet unless they absolutely refuse anything else.
If a cat's blood phosphorus is over the optimal level of 4.5, phosphorus binders are a good idea to decrease phosphorus absorption from the food, and prevent kidney mineral deposits. Niacinamide (not niacin) is a safe and effective phosphorus binder, at a dose of 250 mg twice daily for an average cat.
If herbal treatment is indicated, I prescribe one of the Chinese herbal combinations with proven efficacy to improve kidney function, usually Rehmannia Eight. These are available in powdered form, and most cats will accept them on their food if you gradually increase the amount.
It is best to discuss these treatment suggestions directly with your holistic vet. These treatments have been helpful and effective for many of my patients, but your kitty's treatment plan should be tailored to his needs.

Keely Parr

VIP Member
Registered
Thanks Dr. Sara. I have not administered the herbs as of yet because I am getting great results from giving him 3ml of parsley daily. I put the parsley and water in the Vitamix so he is getting all of the vitamins and nutrients. His vomiting has stopped, his energy and his appetite have both increased.

Keely Parr

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff and Dr. Sara:

I noticed that the Petwellbeing Kidney Support and the Rehmannia Eight both have Rehmannia but are mixed with different herbs. I am assuming that both products contain herbs that are expected to work synergistically with the Rehmannia. Any comments about the difference in herbs? I thought I might look in Cheryl Schwartz’s book on Chinese Medicine for cats and dogs to see which herbs match Karma’s condition more closely.

In addition, from my research, I did not find Rehmannia Eight in powdered form, only as a tablet. Can you share the name of the manufacturer for the product that you use?

Although Karma is doing better, I thought I would keep this product on hand.

Thank you,
Keely

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
KPC Herbs makes the granular product. They may only sell to practitioners. There are many Chinese herbal formulas available; not all are of good quality. That is why I prescribe through a pharmacy.
I prescribe the Rehmannia Six and Rehmannia Eight because there is research evidence - as well as clinical experience - indicating that they improve kidney blood flow. Herbs are combined in specific formulas in specific proportions because they have synergistic effects. It is important to ensure that the formula is produced accurately, from high quality herbs.
Cheryl Schwartz's book is a good resource.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom