• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Bella and her kidney disease progression (BUN/creatinine)

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Good afternoon! I ordered a book recommended by I believe @Dr. Christina , Homeopathic Care for Cats & Dogs by Don Hamilton, and have been reading it page by page. It has been a refresher for my own homeopathy education. I was reading the section on kidney disease and how the main blood values associated with the kidneys are blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine. Keep in mind I always fed Bella a raw food diet since she was a kitten (she is now 13 1/2), and so I see that Dr. Hamilton mentions for animals on raw meat based diets, the BUN may be 5-10 points higher and creatinine may also be slightly higher than published values. But starting last year when Bella's SDMA was slightly outside of normal range, I was encouraged to connect with a nutrition-specialty vet which I did, and started making homemade meals (cooked) for Bella, reducing her protein and adding carbs. Is this table what you would expect to see with a cat with kidney disease? BUN has been decreasing and creatinine increasing (though it was 2.3 in 2019, when I 1st noted to the dr I saw evidence of increased thirst and urination). Also, similar to my receiving opposing views on essential oils and cats which I recently posted about, I see again an opinion from Dr Hamilton different then my nutrition vet, where he says "it is commonly thought that when there is evidence of kidney disease, the protein level should be reduced. This is not correct for most animals". I spoke to my husband last night about what I was reading, and realizing here is the hard part as a pet parent I feel! Conflicting views. More food for thought for me, no pun intended. ? Please see the attached table and a recent photo from a few nights ago. The once warring siblings have been snuggling at night after I offer EFT and reiki! ? This is a new practice together, as I have not done EFT on my kitties, only on myself. Bella enjoys it!

20231107_160017.jpg

IMG_20231106_102911.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Your kitties are adorable Daysha!
Is this table what you would expect to see with a cat with kidney disease?
Yes, it is.

Homeopathy and optimizing fun, and play are the keys IMHO!

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Your kitties are adorable Daysha!

Yes, it is.

Homeopathy and optimizing fun, and play are the keys IMHO!
I just began reading another book I received in the mail as recommended on Dr. Christina's cat journal ebook, on Acupressure.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom