• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Help needed for my cat Zoe - not eating or drinking

maries

Registered
I could really use advice and ideas to help my sweet cat Zoe. She is not looking good and there has been a big change just over the last few days.

Current situation: Zoe has had reduced appetite for about 3 weeks. The last 10 days she has eaten very little. She seems interested in eating but then when the food comes she eats none. The same started happening with water today. Stands over bowl but won’t drink. Now yesterday and today, no interest in food and water and is not eating or drinking. She has also been moving slower and seems more confused and tired. Her urine varies from clear to brownish red.

This past Wednesday 9/29/21, we took her to our vet. She has lost 3 pounds in the past year (from 13 pounds to 10 pounds). While she was at vet, they gave her subcutaneous fluids. I have attached the labs from 9/30/21, as well as older labs from 10/04/20 and 7/15/20 to this post. Heard results from vet on Saturday and she is recommending sending urine out for culture to find right antibiotic and an ultrasound. Vet also recommended an injection of antinausea medication (Cerenia I think).

History: Zoe, 17 year old female, domestic shorthair, black
Began Methimazole for hyperthyroidism in July 2020 and takes 7.5 mg daily.
She has had recurrent UTIs over the past 5 years. First few were treated with antibiotics but for last 1-2 years have had some success with Apis 1M and Apis 10M.
Digestive - up until 2 years ago canned renal diet prescribed by vet. Last 2 years, Small batch raw patties and freeze dried Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw. We supplement with Nordic Naturals Omega- 3 pet. Zoe has been constipated for at least the last few months. We give Miralax one or two times a week when we find she has a day without a bowel movement. But stools are hard and sometimes she strains. There is no vomiting. Appetite has been very good up until this recent episode.

We are trying to understand what is making her feel bad and not eating and drinking and what we can do to help her feel and be better! Thank you!

Attachments

• Zoe labs 09.30.21 S.pdf
    59.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Zoe Labs 10.05.20 S.pdf
    200.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Zoe labs 07.15.20 S.pdf
    122.5 KB · Views: 0

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Marie-

I'm so sorry to hear about Zoe. :(

Have you happened to miss (or use less of) the methimazole in the past 3 weeks?

Does she currently have any UTI symptoms (like increased frequency, urgency, blood in her urine, pain before/during/after urination?)

Do you know what her heart rate was at last week's vet exam? If not, can you possibly upload a copy of her vet exam?

Is she a purrer, or are there any treats she loves?

maries

Registered
Hi Dr Jeff,

She may have gotten a bit less of the Methimazole, only because she may not completely finish the small bit of tuna we give it to her in. But that has really only occurred over the last 10 days. The crushed meds in about 1 tsp of tuna was her favorite part of her meal. I saw her thyroid values were still on high end of normal on her labs.

She has blood in her urine. Sometimes the color is a reddish brown.
There may be urgency. That is the one thing she will get out of her box to do is to go to the litter.
No signs of any pain.

I don't know what her heart rate was but I will find out or get exam notes.

She is usually a purrer, but not for the last day. She usually loves the tuna but not interested in that. She likes Organix treats - we could try more of those. But there is something with the eating. Like she eats and drools a bit. She just stood hunched over the water bowl for a couple of minutes, getting distracted and looking away, then putting her nose in and sneezing but not drinking anything. Then she walked away.

maries

Registered
Weight: 4.47 kg
Heart rate (bpm): 190
MM: Pink, tacky
CRT: WNL
Attitude/Mentation: BAR
Resp Rate (bpm): 36
Temperature (°F): 102.1

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Marie-

I'm glad to hear that she was a purrer and loved tuna until recently!

These are awe-some things you can work with to help move her in the right direction.

Have you tried offering her tuna, or other fishy food, without anything added to it?

You might also want to try petting, brushing (or whatever used to get her purring) right before offering the food.

Are you working 1:1 with a vet who is focused on quality of life (vs. a focus on dis-eases and diagnoses)?

maries

Registered
Hi Marie-

I'm glad to hear that she was a purrer and loved tuna until recently!

These are awe-some things you can work with to help move her in the right direction.

Have you tried offering her tuna, or other fishy food, without anything added to it?

You might also want to try petting, brushing (or whatever used to get her purring) right before offering the food.

Are you working 1:1 with a vet who is focused on quality of life (vs. a focus on dis-eases and diagnoses)?

We have tried offering her just plain tuna. At most she might eat one bite and then only from my hand. But mostly she just turns away from it. I will try the petting right before offering the food and see if that helps. She was doing some purring with petting last night!

I would have to say I don't think we are working with a vet who is focused on quality of life. I understand that blood culture and ultrasound (which would not be done until earliest Thursday) will help figure out what is going on. But in the meantime, Zoe feels bad and is getting into a bad state when not eating and drinking. I would love to do more supportive care for her. We have started doing antinausea meds. I asked again on Saturday about helping her with subcutaneous fluids at home, but this idea was not supported by the doctor. Maybe if I bring her to the vet they can do it for me. Do you think this could help with her comfort?

Regarding the UTI - could a UTI be causing the confusion, nausea, eating problems? Do I need to use antibiotics to help her with this?

I would be interested in finding a more supportive vet to work 1:1 with in my area to help us get through this.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes! Subcutaneous fluids can be super supportive.

Especially if they are warmed up prior to administering.

Regarding your question about the UTI symptoms as the cause for her problems. That's a great quetion Marie and the answer depends on how you ask. A human urologist might very well say yes. A veterinarian would probably say no. Personally I'd also say no. But not for the same reason as a conventional vet.

The reason I'd say know is that physiologically and energetically, it's the other way around.

Meaning that IMHO, the underlying imbalance is the cause for the UTI symptoms, nausea, not eating, etc. Not the other way around.

However that being said, anti-biotics and other drugs are definitely *associated* with improvement in symptoms that they are not treating directly.

One example is anti-biotics helping with viral dis-ease symptoms even though they don't treat the symptoms directly.

It's kind of like a form of distraction and development of a secondary imbalance called a dissimilar dis-ease.

Regardless, the anti-biotics may very well help the symptoms of both the blood in her urine, etc. It's best to follow the directions of the vet who is helping direct Zoe's care.

Who recommended the Apis 10M? Maybe they can also help guide you.

BTW-When one of my own cats didn't eat for a week, it was smelly, oily smoked salmon (lox) that helped bring his appetite back.

maries

Registered
Yes! Subcutaneous fluids can be super supportive.

Especially if they are warmed up prior to administering.

Regarding your question about the UTI symptoms as the cause for her problems. That's a great quetion Marie and the answer depends on how you ask. A human urologist might very well say yes. A veterinarian would probably say no. Personally I'd also say no. But not for the same reason as a conventional vet.

The reason I'd say know is that physiologically and energetically, it's the other way around.

Meaning that IMHO, the underlying imbalance is the cause for the UTI symptoms, nausea, not eating, etc. Not the other way around.

However that being said, anti-biotics and other drugs are definitely *associated* with improvement in symptoms that they are not treating directly.

One example is anti-biotics helping with viral dis-ease symptoms even though they don't treat the symptoms directly.

It's kind of like a form of distraction and development of a secondary imbalance called a dissimilar dis-ease.

Regardless, the anti-biotics may very well help the symptoms of both the blood in her urine, etc. It's best to follow the directions of the vet who is helping direct Zoe's care.

Who recommended the Apis 10M? Maybe they can also help guide you.

BTW-When one of my own cats didn't eat for a week, it was smelly, oily smoked salmon (lox) that helped bring his appetite back.
Thank you Dr. Jeff!
We took Zoe to the vet today and she had subcutaneous fluids. She seemed more alert when we returned and she ate a small amount of canned food. Then for the rest of the day and evening there was no appetite/eating/drinking.

It seems it is an issue with her sense of smell. She doesn't react to any food. She also doesn't seem to be reacting to bad (for a cat) smelling things. We will keep trying to find smellier foods to entice her. If you have any other thoughts on things to stimulate or help with sense of smell, please let us know.

We spoke to the homeopath who recommended the Apis 10M about what was going on. Last week we had given Nat Mur 30c. But in the days since then she has only gotten worse. He recommended we repeat the Apis 10M and see if it helps with UTI or helps her feel better.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so glad she seems a bit better after the fluids!

Yes, a decreased sense of smell will affect her eating. Have you tried Bonito Flakes?

When @Dr. Jean gets online, she may have other smelly suggestions (for foods and treats).

Fantastic that you are working with a homeopath and that he is moving back to the Apis 10M.

Please update us about Zoe when you're able.

maries

Registered
Hi Dr Jeff,
We saw no change from the Apis 10 M. She is not doing well - still not eating or drinking.
On consult with homeopath we are going back to Nat Mur trying 6c instead of 30c. But Nat Mur 30c was no change or worsening symptoms last week, so it is hard for me to understand how this works. (I don't have the 6c to give yet but am working on it).

We are hanging with Zoe trying to give her best chance to feel better.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Good luck on your journey Marie.

lizkunz

VIP Member
Registered
I'm a little bit of a one trick pony but might a B-12 shot help Zoe? Also, maybe Answers Goat Milk? Lastly something like Virbac Nutri-plus gel.
Ok, maybe a three trick pony. Good luck Marie.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great suggestions Liz, thanks!

lizkunz

VIP Member
Registered
I know there are other brands of nutri-gel. This is really out there but I have never had a cat, sick or well, that didn't go nuts for the roast pork in chicken friend rice and the roast pork in wonton soup. This might be useful to prime the pump so to speak. And I have had a lot of cats. I hope Zoey is doing better.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, Liz! I love your "out of the box" suggestion and look forward to trying the roast pork as an appetite stimulater.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yes! And you can buy this pork by the chunk in Asian markets, too. Or sometimes in sushi packs.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hm she is a conundrum! Canned mackerel stinks to high heaven and is perfect for cats who like fish. Hill's a/d is pretty irresistible (the only Hill's food I ever recommend, it actually has real food in it so better than most!). Meat baby food is often helpful. Extra hydration is always helpful for sick kitties. It's almost like magic, it just makes them feel better--no matter what the problem is!

I wonder if a remedy like Allium for a presumptive stuffy nose might help.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom