• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Has anyone heard of Dr. Paws flea collar?

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Definitely do a search on the forum for fleas and ticks. You will see several conversations about flea and tick collars. Most of us see limited success and if the cat can not get away from the odor.

There are some flea/tick tags that can help, and other products as well, depending on why you are using them - tons of fleas right now, fear of getting them, saw one flea...etc. Healthy cats rarely get fleas unless super exposed.

Download the flea and tick report for lots of details.

You have been a member for a few years, Anna. Have you taken the 101 health course? One of the early warning signs of internal imbalance is seeing fleas. Are you seeing fleas now, or wanting to prevent ticks? Please let us know why you are asking about the collars, read a bit more and we can fine tune our responses.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Anna!

Nope, never heard of it.

Looks like they have a collar for cats and it's worth a try.

As Dr. Christina implied tho, it is the susceptibility of the individual, based on their inner energetic balance, that often determines if the cat gets fleas.

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Christina & @Dr. Jeff,

Thank you for your responses. My indoor/outdoor cat Boochu tends to pick up a 1-3 fleas when it's peak season in Chicago. I feed him raw food, but unfortunately I cannot control what he eats when he's out. He is like the little mayor of the town, charming and a lot of people feed him so he doesn't eat well when he eats out. I was flea combing him soon as he would come inside be giving him a churu treat but he is sick of them now and I can't get him to stay so I can comb him. It's a big ordeal because he goes in and out about 3 times in a day. I do my best to not give him any flea medicine such as Virbac or Revolution. Unfortunately I had to give it to him last month because I went out of town and cat sitter would def not be able to flea comb him. It's not full proof anyway but I also vacuum and will spray more routinely wondercide in the house along with flea destroyer and flea buster dust. I bought him the TAG you recommended Dr. Chrisitna but it didn't work. I would still see one here and there on him and he lost it. too pricey to buy again, I read your flea e book a while ago. I will read it again. Just trying to see if there is a better option that chemical medicine.

His son, Junior is also an indoor/outodoor cat. He lets me comb hi while he's eating a churu. I also have him revolution last month.

Jinxie my 3 rd cat only goes out on a harness on my front patio for a few minutes. I flea comb her but I didn't giver her any revolution last month because I was afraid she would have a neurological reaction and I think she is special needs and. I already deal with her crying a lot.

Just trying to make the lesser of the evil/bad options. I don't give them flea medicine montlhly. I try to control out with other means but I also don't want them filling up with heart worm.

Dr. Judy Herman gave me some suppplements that I give them for 7 days post flea medicine to help rid of it from their bodies.

I guess it would stink (figuratively and literally speaking) to have a collar with essential oils on it and not be able to get away. But what's worse, Chemical flea medicine? Decisions, decisions.

Thank you! I will refresh myself on all the info here.

Anna

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Christina & @Dr. Jeff,

Thank you for your responses. My indoor/outdoor cat Boochu tends to pick up a 1-3 fleas when it's peak season in Chicago. I feed him raw food, but unfortunately I cannot control what he eats when he's out. He is like the little mayor of the town, charming and a lot of people feed him so he doesn't eat well when he eats out. I was flea combing him soon as he would come inside be giving him a churu treat but he is sick of them now and I can't get him to stay so I can comb him. It's a big ordeal because he goes in and out about 3 times in a day. I do my best to not give him any flea medicine such as Virbac or Revolution. Unfortunately I had to give it to him last month because I went out of town and cat sitter would def not be able to flea comb him. It's not full proof anyway but I also vacuum and will spray more routinely wondercide in the house along with flea destroyer and flea buster dust. I bought him the TAG you recommended Dr. Chrisitna but it didn't work. I would still see one here and there on him and he lost it. too pricey to buy again, I read your flea e book a while ago. I will read it again. Just trying to see if there is a better option that chemical medicine.

His son, Junior is also an indoor/outodoor cat. He lets me comb hi while he's eating a churu. I also have him revolution last month.

Jinxie my 3 rd cat only goes out on a harness on my front patio for a few minutes. I flea comb her but I didn't giver her any revolution last month because I was afraid she would have a neurological reaction and I think she is special needs and. I already deal with her crying a lot.

Just trying to make the lesser of the evil/bad options. I don't give them flea medicine montlhly. I try to control out with other means but I also don't want them filling up with heart worm.

Dr. Judy Herman gave me some suppplements that I give them for 7 days post flea medicine to help rid of it from their bodies.

I guess it would stink (figuratively and literally speaking) to have a collar with essential oils on it and not be able to get away. But what's worse, Chemical flea medicine? Decisions, decisions.

Thank you! I will refresh myself on all the info here.

Anna
The decision making process can be so tough. I have found it is easier with the great support team with the docs here at HA! Good luck!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Is there anyway to keep the 2 indoors?
Keep exploring how to train both the roamers to love being combed, and go out only once a day, then you can avoid chemicals.
YOU CAN TRAIN CATS to love anything. We have had several webinars and experts on this.
though not specific on this, check out the two webinars by Anitra Frazier
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Personally I hate flea collars of any kind. For one thing, they don't work.

But attaching a strongly scented collar to an animal's neck, right under their sensitive nose seems to be like having headphones glued to my ears playing heavy metal turned up to 11. Not nice. Even if they changed the music to something more pleasant, having it blasting 24/7 for months--well it's just rude. IMHO of course. :oops:

Regular flea maintenance should be enough to prevent just a few fleas. Here's my take on it: littlebigcat.com/natural-flea-control-for-dogs-cats/

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered

But attaching a strongly scented collar to an animal's neck, right under their sensitive nose seems to be like having headphones glued to my ears playing heavy metal turned up to 11. Not nice. Even if they changed the music to something more pleasant, having it blasting 24/7 for months--well it's just rude. IMHO of course. :oops:

Regular flea maintenance should be enough to prevent just a few fleas. Here's my take on it: littlebigcat.com/natural-flea-control-for-dogs-cats/
I agree! Especially since I am sensitive to chemicals and fragrances. I won't be using. Fleas are a tough situation to control naturally. UGH

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered

@Dr. Jean Hofve your article above was very helpful, thank you! I learned a few decades ago 1st hand that a weakened pet (in my instance my kitty had cancer) is susceptible to fleas. Holly was 100% indoors yet, we got fleas right towards the end of her precious life. I believe they jumped through a window perhaps in the summertime, it's the only thing I can think of! My question for you is, when you mention the following, is this also known as nutritional yeast flakes or torula, is it the same thing, or same family? "Sensitive animals can develop an allergy to brewer’s yeast, so monitor your pet to guard against worsening itchiness (pruritus)"

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered

@Dr. Jean Hofve also, is neem and tea tree oil the same?

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Yeah, any yeast, because it has a lot of protein. My own dog developed a yeast allergy to Missing Link (which does not specify type), bummer!

Neem and tea tree are not the same. Tea tree is highly toxic and can easily kill a cat if used topically. There's not enough info on neem oil to assess safety.

Personally I do not recommend using any essential oil directly on an animal, particularly cats. I just wouldn't take the chance. Very diluted, or as a hydrosol, is safer, but not my cuppa tea!

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Yeah, any yeast, because it has a lot of protein. My own dog developed a yeast allergy to Missing Link (which does not specify type), bummer!

Neem and tea tree are not the same. Tea tree is highly toxic and can easily kill a cat if used topically. There's not enough info on neem oil to assess safety.

Personally I do not recommend using any essential oil directly on an animal, particularly cats. I just wouldn't take the chance. Very diluted, or as a hydrosol, is safer, but not my cuppa tea!
@Dr. Jean Hofve thank you for sharing this feedback. Bella has always scratched a lot for years. I remember the vet had thought it could be a food allergy but maybe it could be a different type like the yeast. Hmmmmmm.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom