• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Greyhound sudden Anemia and blood test results

ChristineDG

VIP Member
Registered
Rocky is going to be 7yrs old in June, and was really healthy up until this past year or so. 9/2020 was the first blood test, right before getting his teeth cleaned. 6/2020 he was also put out to remove a pedunculted mass in his mouth, on his upper right side roof right at the gum line. I don't know why the surgeon could not have cleaned his teeth in June, but he didn't. I feel like after 9/2020, things got different. He started to not want to walk as much, he started to hit his back left leg when jumping onto, over, or going up stairs. Thought he was just being clumsy. Was losing energy gradually from 9/2020 to now for sure. It seems he has lost about 5 pounds, food has not changed. My holistic vet says his current blood work from this month shows Anemia. I did some research and am thinking:
Kidney failure
Addisons disease
Today he has an appointment to get a chest and abdomen xray, urine sample, fecal was already tested and my vet said it was good, and doing another CBC panel as well. I also want to ask for an ultrasound of the abdomen, heard we can maybe see more than an xray. I have no treatment plan as of yet. My vet also wanted a tick panel done just in case. Bloodwork on a greyhound is not the same as the avg range for every other breed. Even with that in mind, his values are still either low in certain areas, or too highScreenshot_20210427-005220_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210423-153321_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20210423-153321_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20210423-153329_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20210423-153321_Drive.jpgymail-tmp-9059766972879311288.jpgScreenshot_20210423-153321_Drive.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Christine!

Thanks for making your first post :)but I'm sorry to hear about Rocky.:confused:

Yes, an ultrasound would be awe-some! Especially if it's performed by an internist who will also review the blood test results to try to make a diagnosis (conventionally, we can't make a treatment plan or offer prognosis until a diagnosis is made).

Wonderful info. that you shared, and I wonder if you have test results prior to 9/20 (was there any before surgery in June?)? Please also share today's results when you get them.

In general, a single test result is useful, but evaluating that result in the context of a trend is even better. It's like making a decision based on information in a single photograph vs. doing so from a movie.

The good news is that all of this is really just a piece of Rocky's "bigger picture". Diagnostic test results reflect pathology in the body, but symptoms reflect internal imbalance and can be used to prevent pathology from developing in the first place.

You can start at any time, and today would be perfect.

We do that here by focusing on the cellular energy that Rocky needs to heal. Starting with food and avoiding potential obstacles to healing.

What does Rocky eat? What's his daily routine like? Does he get any flea, tick or other medications?

ChristineDG

VIP Member
Registered
I asked for an ultrasound, but the vet I took him to today said he didn't think he needed it. These are the results from today. Dr. Bogue doesn't feel he in Anemic as of right now, how can that be different 5 days apart? Urine was good, blood was OK. He thinks maybe early onset kidney disease?? Let me know what you think.

20210428_151500_10118_Digiacomo Rocky.jpg20210428_151533_10118_Digiacomo Rocky.jpg20210428_151702_10118_Digiacomo Rocky.jpg20210428_151730_10118_Digiacomo Rocky.jpg20210428_152443_10118_Digiacomo Rocky.jpg20210428_152759_10118_Digiacomo Rocky.jpg

20210428_214134.jpg20210428_214150.jpg20210428_214212.jpg20210428_214227.jpgGreyhound values vs other breeds

ChristineDG

VIP Member
Registered
Here are some more images, and some of his DJD in certain toes.

What does Rocky eat?
2 meals per day:
-Natures logic sardine flavor dry 1.5 cups
-1 pound cooked ground beef
-Vital 10 probiotic 1/8 tsp 1x per day
-Standard process canine immune system support (2 tsp a day)
-Organic pumpkin puree 2 tbsps a day
-honest kitchen bone broth 1/4 tsp 1x a day
-honest kitchen herbal digestive supplement 1/4 tsp 1x a day
-tru dog organ meat boost me topper 2-3 tbsps a day
-jing tang body sore 1/2 provided scoop 1x per day
-16oz of filtered alkaline water 2x per day
-eats ice cream I make 1x per day, I make 8 days worth with 1 can organic unsweetened coconut milk, 2 organic bananas, 4tbsps organic peanut butter, I pour the mixture into food grade silicone cups and freeze
-treats consist of fruitables dehydrated chicken breasts, rotisserie chicken (organic), organic unsweetened applesauce, organic banana pieces, organic pb

What's his daily routine like?
-eats breakfast at 7am
-goes for a walk around 2hrs later
-doesn't do much for the remainder of the day
-then 2pm he gets restless wanting to eat dinner
-he eats dinner between 3-6pm, then he goes after on a 2nd walk
-get his ice cream as a treat after pooping
-he poops at least 2x a day, poops are not large, and has small turn outs in between the walks to pee, lay in the backyard, or just smell around the yard

Does he get any flea, tick or other medications?
-ivermectin .75cc once a month now that mosquitos are active
-recently we adopted another greyhound that has hookworms, so rocky got dosed with panicure as a precaution for 7 days, 7.5cc (he tested negative for his fecal, so we probably won't dose him again) they go on walks so no cross contamination happens (we pick up all poops every walk)
-when flea and tick season starts (March or April here in KS), we give 1 tablet of credelio (not sure if this is good, suggestions are welcome)
-he is not a chewer, doesn't like toys at all. He is food driven, and loves treats

Other info:
The past week rocky has been peeing in the house, he never used to do that. I notice on my cameras he is constantly pacing throughout the day. Doesn't have the energy for long walks, we have to make him go out and get the exercise. He's getting early onset cataracts according to the latest vets visit, I feel his breath smells like undigested food, and was thinking he needs to have better digestion. I also brush their teeth once a day, a bad week will be 3x per week

20210428_152818_10118_Digiacomo Rocky.jpg2418_10118_2_s0.jpg2418_10118_3_s0.jpg2418_10118_4_s0.jpg2418_10118_6_s0.jpg2418_10118_8_s0.jpg

ChristineDG

VIP Member
Registered
Here are some more images, and some of his DJD in certain toes.

What does Rocky eat?
2 meals per day:
-Natures logic sardine flavor dry 1.5 cups
-1 pound cooked ground beef
-Vital 10 probiotic 1/8 tsp 1x per day
-Standard process canine immune system support (2 tsp a day)
-Organic pumpkin puree 2 tbsps a day
-honest kitchen bone broth 1/4 tsp 1x a day
-honest kitchen herbal digestive supplement 1/4 tsp 1x a day
-tru dog organ meat boost me topper 2-3 tbsps a day
-jing tang body sore 1/2 provided scoop 1x per day
-16oz of filtered alkaline water 2x per day
-eats ice cream I make 1x per day, I make 8 days worth with 1 can organic unsweetened coconut milk, 2 organic bananas, 4tbsps organic peanut butter, I pour the mixture into food grade silicone cups and freeze
-treats consist of fruitables dehydrated chicken breasts, rotisserie chicken (organic), organic unsweetened applesauce, organic banana pieces, organic pb

What's his daily routine like?
-eats breakfast at 7am
-goes for a walk around 2hrs later
-doesn't do much for the remainder of the day
-then 2pm he gets restless wanting to eat dinner
-he eats dinner between 3-6pm, then he goes after on a 2nd walk
-get his ice cream as a treat after pooping
-he poops at least 2x a day, poops are not large, and has small turn outs in between the walks to pee, lay in the backyard, or just smell around the yard

Does he get any flea, tick or other medications?
-ivermectin .75cc once a month now that mosquitos are active
-recently we adopted another greyhound that has hookworms, so rocky got dosed with panicure as a precaution for 7 days, 7.5cc (he tested negative for his fecal, so we probably won't dose him again) they go on walks so no cross contamination happens (we pick up all poops every walk)
-when flea and tick season starts (March or April here in KS), we give 1 tablet of credelio (not sure if this is good, suggestions are welcome)
-he is not a chewer, doesn't like toys at all. He is food driven, and loves treats

Other info:
The past week rocky has been peeing in the house, he never used to do that. I notice on my cameras he is constantly pacing throughout the day. Doesn't have the energy for long walks, we have to make him go out and get the exercise. He's getting early onset cataracts according to the latest vets visit, I feel his breath smells like undigested food, and was thinking he needs to have better digestion. I also brush their teeth once a day, a bad week will be 3x per week

20210428_152818_10118_Digiacomo Rocky.jpg2418_10118_2_s0.jpg2418_10118_3_s0.jpg2418_10118_4_s0.jpg2418_10118_6_s0.jpg2418_10118_8_s0.jpg

ChristineDG

VIP Member
Registered
We have only had rocky since 2018, when he retired from racing. Here is some more bloodwork for comparison. I am concerned with the weight loss...it's almost 8 pounds lighter since 2020. My goals are:

better digestion overall
better breath
lowering those kidney values
stopping the cataracts from getting worse
boosting overall immunity
helping the DJD (toes are really swollen like gum balls where he has it)

Screenshot_20210429-071012_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20210429-070903_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20210429-071004_Drive.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, lots of great data! Thanks for sharing Christine.

Looking at the trends of his kidney values and phosphorus level, I'd agree that early kidney problems are likely.

The recent bloodwork does not show anemia).

If you haven't consulted with an internist, it might be helpful for you to do so now.

The phosphorus in the ground meat needs to be balanced with calcium (from finely ground eggshell, seaweed, etc.).

Also, you might want to start adding Aventi kidney support to help bind any extra phosphorus in his food:

Regarding his multiple health challenges, perhaps just focus on one thing that will help them all. You can do that by focusing on getting him into the "flow" of optimal physiologic performance by using the Happiness Protocol.

Try to get him outside in the sun today to play the hunt for treats game every few hours. You do this by scattering a handful of treats in the grass and letting him sniff them out.

Also, frequent therapeutic sniff walks and use of a snuffle mat will help increase his cellular energy and healing. He doesn't need to go far (or anywhere) to sniff around.

This glandular supplement may also be useful to both increase cellular energy and support his kidneys:

Lastly, now's a great time to start working with a vet homeopath. You can look for someone here:

Do you have your 15 min. HMDM call scheduled yet?

ChristineDG

VIP Member
Registered
Wow, lots of great data! Thanks for sharing Christine.

Looking at the trends of his kidney values and phosphorus level, I'd agree that early kidney problems are likely.

The recent bloodwork does not show anemia).

If you haven't consulted with an internist, it might be helpful for you to do so now.

The phosphorus in the ground meat needs to be balanced with calcium (from finely ground eggshell, seaweed, etc.).

Also, you might want to start adding Aventi kidney support to help bind any extra phosphorus in his food:

Regarding his multiple health challenges, perhaps just focus on one thing that will help them all. You can do that by focusing on getting him into the "flow" of optimal physiologic performance by using the Happiness Protocol.

Try to get him outside in the sun today to play the hunt for treats game every few hours. You do this by scattering a handful of treats in the grass and letting him sniff them out.

Also, frequent therapeutic sniff walks and use of a snuffle mat will help increase his cellular energy and healing. He doesn't need to go far (or anywhere) to sniff around.

This glandular supplement may also be useful to both increase cellular energy and support his kidneys:

Lastly, now's a great time to start working with a vet homeopath. You can look for someone here:

Do you have your 15 min. HMDM call scheduled yet?
Yes I have my 15min call scheduled. I don't see an interest near me unfortunately, not even within 50 miles. What else can I balance the phosphorus out with? Something that's ready to use is much easier. What about gut health? What's the best way to eliminate plaque and bleeding/irritated gums?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Eggshellent calcium and Animal Essentials seaweed calcium are easy to use. Both are readily available online.

For gut health, promote diet variety, fermented foods like sauerkraut or Answer's, vary probiotics, use Ion* Biome...

For plaque and tartar use raw chicken or turkey necks. The bleeding gums may be secondary to the tartar.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom