• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Good Poop, Bad Poop?

Dana

VIP Member
Registered
Murphys morning poop has been splendid. Good size, color, shape. But, when we go for our hikes in the park in the afternoon he squats multiple times and what comes out is not as splendid. Very slimy and mustard color. He continues to squat until nothing but mucus comes out.... should I be concerned?IMG_5971.jpgIMG_5983 2.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yum!

No need to be concerned Dana as long as his BEAM remains great.

Since mushy stool with mucus and straining are also symptoms of colitis I wonder how Murph seems during the walks? Stress or excitement (which can be a stressor) can promote colitis symptoms in susceptible individuals.

Also, how long has this persisted?

Dana

VIP Member
Registered
He LOVES his walks! I have only noticed the poop issue over the last week. We are taking longer, more frequent walks. His BEAM is good - even his appetite is better... still picky but eats his 2 meals. (no more breakfast)

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
These stools look to me as if Murphy is finding some yummies on his walk, like animal stool and plant material. Those can make the stools a bit soft. The size of the particles being passed makes more liquid stay in the intestines, so the stools are more loose.

Excitement is a common cause of loose stools. When his mum was under 2, and she went for a walk in a new exciting place, she would often have a foul soft stool. It was no big deal; the body is reacting to the excitement by emptying the bowels to be ready for the new experience. The older she got, the less this happened, and she hasn't had one for a few years now.

If Murphy had any issues with his BEAM, or if the soft stools persisted, I would be concerned.
Give him a hug from us!
Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great to hear Dana that his appetite is a little better and that his BEAM is otherwise still great!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom