• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Fluffball with an infected anal gland

KateN

Community Member
Registered
Greetings,

I am new to this forum, literally having just joined yesterday! Good timing because I happen to be traveling for work and heard from my husband tonight that our little Peaches (10yo, female, bichon/maltese mix) seems to have an infected anal gland. I am so glad I can post here as I feel pretty helpless not being at home.

She's had this issue 1x before in May 2022 and we had it treated at our emergency vet center (not particularly holistically minded). We're open to taking her into the vet again to have this treated, but I am wondering if it might be possible for this to resolve on its own or for us to at least avoid sedation and antibiotics?

This incident seems different. First of all, she's acting fairly normal whereas last time, she seemed quite ill. Yesterday my husband says she did not have her normal appetite, but today she's back to normal with food, although drinking more water than usual. She also wants to play and doesn't seem to be perturbed at all by the swollen gland (she's not licking it or scooting). The other thing that is different is that there is a "head" on the swollen gland that looks like it might burst, whereas last time, the pus was underneath the skin and did not breakthrough without the vet lancing it.

Peaches finds going to the vet very stressful, so if there is any way we can treat at home and avoid a trip to the vet altogether, that would be amazing. Alternatively, if there is any way to treat at home and take her in for a follow-up to make sure that the area is healed properly, I could handle that, as well. Of course, we don't want to put her in any danger, so if the advice is to get her in immediately, we would do that without hesitation. We just don't really know how dangerous the situation is and how well it can be resolved by alternative treatments.

We're new to homeopathy for pets, so if that's part of the recommendation, it would be good to know the basics of where to get the remedies etc. We do have a natural foods grocery store nearby and they carry remedies.

Thanks very much for being here-it's so helpful to be able to reach out.

Kate

Screen Shot 2023-09-03 at 8.05.30 PM.png

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Kate!

Thanks so much for making your first post about Peaches. ? :snowman:? I'm sorry to hear about her health challenge.:confused:

I am wondering if it might be possible for this to resolve on its own or for us to at least avoid sedation and antibiotics?
Great question! Yes, and yes!! The healing ability of the body is amazing!

What you do next however depends both on Peaches' BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite and Mood) in addition to your "gut feeling" (and intuition).

The physical manifestation of her symptoms is a distant third IMHO, and is only really relevant if it seems very uncomfortable for her, e.g. by excessive licking of her butt, scooting on the ground, etc.

Perhaps consider asking your husband to hot compress the gland which will help it open, drain and heal.

Then call your vet whenever they are next open to inquire about the necessity for an appointment.

In the meantime, also consider taking the HA! 101 course which can be found in your member area.

There are also other discussions about anal gland inflammations with secondary infections on this forum.

One fundamental factor to the HA! approach is learning more about how to keep Peaches in tip T.O.P shape. The scientific reality is that germs and bacteria are our friends and are not to be feared or combatted. They rarely become a problem when you focus on optimizing inner balance.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Thanks for the great description of prior and current anal gland problems. Having them at all is one of the Early Warning Signs of Internal Imbalance, so do read about those. in the 101 course.

When animals are feeling good overall (BEAM is good) you can definitely help at home . The hot compresses are often all that are need, especially if you add some rescue remedy (BACH) to the water. If the swelling does open and she feels good still, add some tincture of calendula (10 drops per cup water) to the soaks and it may heal right up.

Feed as much fresh food as you can to boost the gut microbiome (read more on the site and in the 101 class.

download the Healthy Dog Journal and record past and current issues.

There is so much to learn that in a few years you will be a pro at deciding when the conventional veterinary care is needed. Till then, create your holistic health care team. Go to "select' or "find a vet", read the article, and access all the websites. Well worth taking the time now.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom