• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Female Older Lab incontinence

ChrisO

Registered
Just rescued a Female Choc Lab between 8-10 yrs about 1 months ago "Remmi" is her name. She came with undisclosed urinary incontinence. Several urinalysis and blood tests done. She also had a weak/tight back end and limping on front left leg.

Bloodwork didn't show any issues.
She did have a UTI but no bacteria. Antibiotic helped for a bit then stopped, did 2 courses. Local Veterinarian then started Proin (not a fan). That also helped a bit then not so much.
Vet then suggested time release Proin ER. Not really doing the job either. Vet says next step is drawing urine directly from the bladder. Not gonna do that.

I have education in holistic nutrition/supplements, specializing in humans & a bit for pets but I'll be the first to admit I don't know it all, always learning!
From what I'm learning, I feel this is more a bladder/muscle issue, possibly estrogen issue as well? Read about the product Incurin (estriol).

I ordered Herbal Factors Urinary Flow Formula, will give that a try when it arrives.

My question is. As a supplement buyer, I looked into other options and found a product called Urox Urinary Control by Seipel Group that contains: Lindera aggregata extract (root), Horsetail (aerial parts) and Cratevox (three leaf caper). I cannot find any information about the safety of use in canines for Lindera or Cratevox. Also contains Hypromellose, Rice flour, Silica.

Of course I won't start this product until I see the effects of the Herbal Factors supplement, but am also VERY open to other recommendations before trying Urox. Just need some help here.
When she first arrived she was pooling urine :( It has improved about 50% but would love to get this beautiful girl out of diapers all together if possible.
Diet now is Raw (chicken protein). Also giving her: Easy Peasy, Probiotic, Fish Oil and Glucosamine for her joints. She has dropped a few pounds and seems she is much more comfortable (less limping and back end seems to be improving as well.
If the Herbal Factors does not help, can you recommend anything else? Possibly Incurin (estriol)? Or something else I'm missing?

I read through as many threads I could find here on the forum but saw mostly questions about male dogs.

Thanks in advance!

ChrisO

Registered
Just rescued a Female Choc Lab between 8-10 yrs about 1 months ago "Remmi" is her name. She came with undisclosed urinary incontinence. Several urinalysis and blood tests done. She also had a weak/tight back end and limping on front left leg.

Bloodwork didn't show any issues.
She did have a UTI but no bacteria. Antibiotic helped for a bit then stopped, did 2 courses. Local Veterinarian then started Proin (not a fan). That also helped a bit then not so much.
Vet then suggested time release Proin ER. Not really doing the job either. Vet says next step is drawing urine directly from the bladder. Not gonna do that.

I have education in holistic nutrition/supplements, specializing in humans & a bit for pets but I'll be the first to admit I don't know it all, always learning!
From what I'm learning, I feel this is more a bladder/muscle issue, possibly estrogen issue as well? Read about the product Incurin (estriol).

I ordered Herbal Factors Urinary Flow Formula, will give that a try when it arrives.

My question is. As a supplement buyer, I looked into other options and found a product called Urox Urinary Control by Seipel Group that contains: Lindera aggregata extract (root), Horsetail (aerial parts) and Cratevox (three leaf caper). I cannot find any information about the safety of use in canines for Lindera or Cratevox. Also contains Hypromellose, Rice flour, Silica.

Of course I won't start this product until I see the effects of the Herbal Factors supplement, but am also VERY open to other recommendations before trying Urox. Just need some help here.
When she first arrived she was pooling urine :( It has improved about 50% but would love to get this beautiful girl out of diapers all together if possible.
Diet now is Raw (chicken protein). Also giving her: Easy Peasy, Probiotic, Fish Oil and Glucosamine for her joints. She has dropped a few pounds and seems she is much more comfortable (less limping and back end seems to be improving as well.
If the Herbal Factors does not help, can you recommend anything else? Possibly Incurin (estriol)? Or something else I'm missing?

I read through as many threads I could find here on the forum but saw mostly questions about male dogs.

Thanks in advance!

Of course if the ingredients in the Urox are not safe, I will not move forward with that.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for posting your question and asking about Remmi!

Thank you as well for giving a rescue pup a loving forever home. ?

Great work that she's now on a fresh food diet! You're already seeing some of the improvements from the upgrade.

How's Remmi's BEAM? Does she get lots of outside time and/or use a snuffle mat?

I asked these questions before commenting on the supplement, because your question gets to the heart of what the Sacred Paws summit and HA! are all about.

Because food, supplements and drugs are only one little part of the healing picture.

When it comes to helping physical symptoms like the incontinence there's lots that you can do.

I'll get back to you and post more, after my appointments. If you haven't done so already, perhaps take the HA! 101 course (it's on the resources drop down menu when you log in to HA!) as that may also be helpful.

BTW-The Urox looks interesting and I'll ask a master vet herbalist about the ingredients.

ChrisO

Registered
Thanks so much for posting your question and asking about Remmi!

Thank you as well for giving a rescue pup a loving forever home. ?

Great work that she's now on a fresh food diet! You're already seeing some of the improvements from the upgrade.

How's Remmi's BEAM? Does she get lots of outside time and/or use a snuffle mat?

I asked these questions before commenting on the supplement, because your question gets to the heart of what the Sacred Paws summit and HA! are all about.

Because food, supplements and drugs are only one little part of the healing picture.

When it comes to helping physical symptoms like the incontinence there's lots that you can do.

I'll get back to you and post more, after my appointments. If you haven't done so already, perhaps take the HA! 101 course (it's on the resources drop down menu when you log in to HA!) as that may also be helpful.

BTW-The Urox looks interesting and I'll ask a master vet herbalist about the ingredients.
Thanks for your quick reply!!
Remmi spends between 2-4 hours outside. We walk around our little farm several times a day so she does a good amount of sniffing :) Certain areas on our property she is drawn to....her nose goes to the ground and she gets to it! Love watching her do her thing <3
Lots of deer and wildlife around us (no farm animals yet, we just moved in July).
This gal is an absolute gem. I love spending time playing with her! She is silly and playful and regal.
Yes, I saw the HA course! Very interesting!!

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Chris.
This gal is an absolute gem. I love spending time playing with her!
Fantastic!

I think that if you keep doing what you're doing, and help her shed a few more pounds, her incontinence will improve and maybe even totally resolve.

ChrisO

Registered
Will do! If you find any extra time to look into those three ingredients in the Urox Urinary Control by Seipel Group. And I will keep looking as well. Not one to give in easily ~ No rush, going to follow your advice but would like to consider Urox in the future if needed.
Lindera aggregata extract (root), Horsetail (aerial parts) and Cratevox (three leaf caper).
Appreciate this forum! Was referred by Nicci Cammack, owner of North Point Pets in CT. Worked with her for a time.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi Chris! I would sure consider chiropractic for your girl! I also like Mexican wild yam as a supplement, as it contains phytoestrogens. It comes in lots of formulas as well as by itself.

ChrisO

Registered
YES!!! We thought about chiropractic! Need to look into finding one ~Thanks for validating and yes again to Mexican Wild Yam! Thanks so much Dr. Hofve!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Chris!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom