• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)

JoanD

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello Forum, Does anyone have information that may help stabilize and improve a cat's condition with FIP? This particular cat is 4 years old. Her belly and eyes are swollen and she is not eating unless fed with a syringe. Since she obviously has fluid accumulation, should she be getting IV fluids? She is normally calm but begins hissing and scratching when they try to administer fluids. The vets that have treated her are pretty unhelpful and see FIP as a death sentence for her. The illness came on quickly after a very stressful time in her home from a power outage and no air conditioning for 3 days. It was 90 degrees and very humid for that time. She is a Ragdoll.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Howdy Joan.

Absolutely, and thanks for asking! Any talk about coronaviruses is welcome. Especially FIP and SARS-Cov-2.

Neither virus "causes" disease and most people and cats exposed to coronavirues have relatively few, if any, symptoms.

However, some individuals develop serious dis-ease and may die. The difference is the reason for the hyphen.

I consider a disease (no hyphen) to be a predictable set of symptoms directly related to the number of infective particles. A dis-ease is more related to internal balance than the dose of virus.

Dr. Niels Pedersen has been studying FIP for decades:
and has been using a drug like remdesivir (an antiviral against SARS):

However, whether a kitty gets FIP has to do with many individual molecular factors besides the virulence of the germ.

This same phenomenon is seen in covid.

As an example, look at my notes about a recent molecular biology article:

The first thing that needs addressing in your friend's cat is her decreased BEAM, especially her appetite.

She needs the subcutaneous (not intravenous which is done through an IV catheter in the hospital) fluids if her kidneys could use the support or if she is super anemic.

Do you know if she was truly 100% before the heat stressor?

Also, how did she respond to the 90 degrees?

The bottom line unfortunately is not good. The kitty's prognosis is grave as the vets have said.

It's most effective, in my experience, to treat the kitty's vitality and quality of life. Not FIP.

Brighthaven rescue and shelter has an excellent hospice course that could be very helpful now.

JoanD

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff, Thanks for your response to my questions and for all the information and articles. I had read the one about Pederson in my research but not the molecular biology article. As for our patient, CoCo, the anxiety within the household (not from the Covid19 hysteria but from our own government's response and threats of mandatory vaccination, etc.) probably contributed to the onset of FIP along with the heat. Their house is always kept pretty cool with AC so the heat probably played a part. Her people administered subcutaneous fluids and were feeding (with a syringe) all kinds of liquid foods and supplements. They also have a Quest practitioner that made a "homeopathic" remedy for her. Can you explain how this type of remedy relates to classic homeopathy? My friends use this for their own ailments and for their cats. It seems to be working for them so I'm curious. CoCo's beam has been improving since she started the Quest remedy. I'd love your opinion. Also my friends were meditating and praying, me included. I was trying to quell some of the anxiety by telling them I would get further information from you and that it wasn't hopeless.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic Joan! Yes, it's never hopeless as long as there is any life force left to use for healing. Where there's life, there's hope.

Having never used Quest before, let's see what @Dr. Erin has to say about your question. She uses the Quest machine to "imprint" remedies for some patients. You are correct that, by definition, this is not homeopathy as they do not base it on symptom similarity . I think @JoannC did a consultation with her and may also have more info.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom