• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cleo challenge with possible kidney failure and dry FIP

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
Hello everybody,

I just receive some test results for Cleo( some of them didn’t return yet). They are attached. She is in the local veterinary hospital right now getting the IV fluids. I also believe she got Baytril injection.
a Preliminary conclusions from the vet - a possible kidney failure and DRY FIP??
She is dehydrated, has the body odor ( sweet smell), with weight loss, anorexia, she was sitting and looking at he water bowl drinking very little. There was no fever, a little wobbly with sudden weakness in the rear legs and no wish to communicate with us.
I was advices to see the internist in the emergency room to keep her there overnight, get more input from the inte4nist and decide to treat her for all issues or not.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Dinets cleopatra UA 12-16-23.pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Dinets Cleopatra cbcchemfelineserfecop 12-16-23.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 4

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Elena!

I'm so sorry to hear about Cleo's challenges. She should be way too young to have lab results like this.

She may have an underlying genetic kidney dis-ease of Abby's.

Did the vet do a UPC (urine protein:creatine)? I ask because she has lots of protein in the urine, but the blood can affect this result.

When was Cleo last 100% herself?

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
Nov 28 CLEO HAD ANUAL WELLNESS EXAM. There were nothing special about this visit except the weight loss. Here is the dynamic of her weight loss:
12-16-23 5.00
12-08-23 5.25
12-04-23 5.50
11-28-23 5.50
10-14-23 6.44
07-31-23 6.38

I think she is even lighter this evening. She started loosing weight even when she had a good appetite. She always was the finicky eater and I always had a few different food to offer. She become really bad eater at the end of November but I noticed the behavioral changes and emotional withdrawn may be about 10 days ago.

Thanks for the link. I have read the publication and then read about Amyloidosis. The clinical signs of Amyloidosis related to the kidney damage include excessive drinking and urination ( started somewhere at end of Nov),
dehydration (since the end of Nov till 12/8 Cleo got four subcutaneous fluids),
poor coat quality, gingivitis ( she was diagnosed with gingivitis in January and were working on her gums really hard, though she already lost 3 teeth), lack of appetite, weight loss and lethargy ( last maybe 5 days she become progressively withdrawn and sleepy). It’s heartbreaking how every single sign describes Cleo’s conditions.

And now FIP is added.

We got her from supposedly very reputable breeder who is very known not only in Abys community and the cat association but in the cats world. She shows her cats and she is a judge.

Thanks for the link.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
When she was 100%, what were the 3 things that made her happiest and stimulated her to purr?

ElenaD

Community Member
Registered
Purring on my heart in the early morning, looking from the window at the birds in their feeder, playing with the laser and the wool ball ( only wool) teaser wand, hiding under the pool table in the basement ( she was not allowed to go in the basement ) and play hide and catch with us there.

This morning we repeated CBC and creatinine. all red blood counts are very, very low, and creatinine is awfully high.

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Purring on my heart in the early morning, looking from the window at the birds in their feeder, playing with the laser and the wool ball ( only wool) teaser wand, hiding under the pool table in the basement ( she was not allowed to go in the basement ) and play hide and catch with us there.

This morning we repeated CBC and creatinine. all red blood counts are very, very low, and creatinine is awfully high.
My prayers for Cleo. ? My kitty Bella who I post about has also been gradually losing weight and I am navigating different approaches and treatment plans for her kidney issues, high calcium and emerging anemia.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
@DayshaG, does Dr. Herman know about Bella's high calcium?

It may be relevant to the use of Aventi.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW!

Happy solstice Saturday and holiday weekend!!❄️❄️❄️❄️

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff I believe she did but I will bring it up again. Thx!
@Dr. Jeff I heard back from Dr. Herman today who had the following comments re: Bella's calcium and use of Aventi since I have recently transitioned Bella back to raw:

• Calcium at 11.1 is minor. You can have it rechecked at the appointment. Sometimes lipemia (eating) can raise it some.
  • You can use Renafood glandular vs the Aventi if you are nervous. They work differently though.
Have you heard of Renafood and are you familiar with their differences? Thank you. Recent pic of Bella attached! :cat2:

20231225_184500.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Have you heard of Renafood and are you familiar with their differences?
Yes! It's a great product to use instead of or along with Aventi.

BTW-I agree with Dr. Judy about Bella's 11.1 calcium.

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Yes! It's a great product to use instead of or along with Aventi.

BTW-I agree with Dr. Judy about Bella's 11.1 calcium.
@Dr. Jeff cool! And what is the main difference between the two products in your general experience?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
They are totally different IMHO.

Perhaps stick with Aventi, PhosFix or Phos bind if you are trying to decrease Phos.

@Dr. Jeff Thank you. Dr. Herman also got back to me (I figured I'd ask her, too.). She said:
The Renafood is a glandular. So it is basically feeding her kidney to help her own kidneys. The Aventi is a phos binder and helps the body eliminate blood urea. It acts more of a detox.

I am not sure which product would be the best, though.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Her phosphorus was initially extraordinarily high, so the phos binder (Aventi KP) would be very important. Their other product is a probiotic.

Renafood is for helping the kidneys heal and rebuild, it also has detox properties.

You could probably use both, since Renafood is just food, not any kind of medicine.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Her phosphorus was initially extraordinarily high, so the phos binder (Aventi KP) would be very important. Their other product is a probiotic.

Renafood is for helping the kidneys heal and rebuild, it also has detox properties.

You could probably use both, since Renafood is just food, not any kind of medicine.
Thank you for your feedback

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom