• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Calming Aid for Cats

RochelleB

Community Member
Registered
I have five cats and while they get along most of the time, one of the cats struggles with anxiety. Hanna's anxiety has been under control for years, but she is now quite ill and her anxiety has greatly intensified most likely from me administering remedies, pills, etc. The result is frequent altercations with the other four cats which is obviously bad for her. I have Feliway throughout the house and she is on CBD capsules, but giving her the CBD orally has become too stressful for her. I haven't found a CBD treat she would eat and she absolutely hates the oils.

I've read you can rub CBD oil in a cat's ear. Has anyone tried this?

I've ordered Jackson Galaxy 'Stress Stopper' to try. Any other ideas in case this doesn't work?

On a separate note, any ideas on how to get a cat to take potassium? She will not eat her food with any kind of potassium in it, and I've been unsuccessful in tricking her into licking the Renal K gel even when surrounded by treats. I'm currently giving her Amino B+K but wow she doesn't like it. Giving it to her is definitely part of her stress increasing.

@Dr. Jean Hofve what magic might you know? :)

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Oh Rochelle, I know LOTS of magic! 

Stress Stopper is a great start, and I would spritz that around common areas and wherever the anxious kitty spends time (not while she is there of course!).

Since there are issues among the cats, I would also recommend Jackson’s Ultimate Peacemaker. We’ve had amazing results with it over the years. Safe Space might also help, but I’d try the others first. Self-Esteem is great little remedy for her. To reinforce it on the physical plane, also do Play Therapy with her. Close off a room or area from the other cats and play with her alone there. Where a cat hunts, she gains confidence and makes it *her* territory.

Tellington TTouch, Reiki, and EFT (EFT Tapping for Animals | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve) could all be very helpful for her! None of them need to actually touch the cat. TTouch can be done with a feather, pencil, paintbrush, or similar item to put a little distance, if she is shy of your touch at any point.

At some point, a complete separation may be necessary for a few days or even weeks. Then re-introduce the cats as if they’d never met. Yes, it’s a hassle. But you’d be surprised how well this can work. Here’s an article on the process. Just something to keep in your back pocket. https://littlebigcat.com/cat-to-cat-introductions

Potassium made for pets, for some reason, tastes terrible. A trick I heard of recently is to get empty gel caps (Whole Foods or probably any pharmacy). Take it apart and smear baby food inside and out. Once she’s eating those, leave the capsule whole and smear with baby food on the outside. When she’s fine with whole capsules, then you can put a little potassium inside (I would probably start with just a teeny bit and work up to full dose, since it also stinks!), and with any luck, she’ll eat it!

Cats!! They require infinite patience and infinite persistence, but I couldn’t live without (at least) one!

RochelleB

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jean Hofve THANK YOU so much for all the information. The articles are great and I will be giving the suggestions a try. I'm hoping to not have to do a reintroduction but can if needed - I've had to do that before with other cats.

I've been working on reinforcing a positive association for them when they are near each other. I bring them together for treats and it seems to be helping, but it isn't always successful as Hanna's appetite isn't the greatest right now. I have also discovered we have a neighbor's cat spraying in the yard which is aggravating one of the younger cats (Nala). It's basically Spring here in South Carolina and every year about this time I have more cats in the yard spraying (not all are altered :(). Nala and I do play/prey session every night but I might need to do more of that with her. Hanna has been quite sick but I will work with her more to get her to play a little. I've been trying Reiki with her daily and will add TTouch.

Again - thank you so much for all the information. I completely agree with you - I could not live without cats, even though they are so incredibly tricky.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I've heard from several experts lately that cats should not be fed within sight of each other, or at least 10 feet apart. Having them all together for treats could backfire, I'd give them separately to Hanna, based on recent studies. And keep them more separated rather than trying to force interactions. Counter-intuitive, I know, but the less she sees of the others, the better, for now.

RochelleB

Community Member
Registered
That’s surprising to hear. I know it’s true with meals, I guess it makes sense with treats. I will definitely change my approach. Thank you!

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I've always fed my cats together, so this new research was a surprise to me, too! It will be interesting to see if the change makes a difference. Please keep us posted!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom