• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Feline house guest with loose stool and vomiting, now bloody urine

Jane Evans

All-Access Member
Registered
Due to a heartbreak situation, our daughter and her cat Jack have moved in with us short term for her to be nurtured back to whole. They arrived about three weeks ago. He was having loose stool and vomiting. This was resolved with Nux, Rescue Remedy, oral B12, and cucumber juice. We attributed the issue to the stress and once in a more calm situation, it resolved. This morning he had several light reddish pink colored clumps of urine in the box. He has good stool in the box. So I was fairly certain it was urine. Cleaned the box, and now 6 hours later there are two small urine clumps. One is free of visual blood, and the other has a tiny center of pinkish color. He is living in one room now instead of a home (we have two other cats and they will not tolerate him roaming free). His human Mom is sad and stressed, but trending better each day. When she is out, he gets lots of visits in his room from me. And we take him for house walks when our cats are outside (supervised). He does not like to go outside. Given the series of symptoms and the situation, I believe it is a lower urinary tract/cystitis Pandora thing going on here. I went to the Cystitis Power Hour notes and Phosphorus and Lycopodium jumped out, and leaning more toward Phosphorus due to the separation anxiety component. He had a difficult time adjusting at first and was howling each night and really upset when his Mom went to work. Also looked up in online Kent for blood in urine in cats and Plumbum was indicated. Does not seem right here. Plus, I currently have the other two remedies on hand. Other than the outward symptoms of elimination, he looks great, is eating and drinking (more the past two days), is bright, and loving and does not feel cold or warm to the touch. He does bite when overstimulated being held or petted. However, this is not his normal demeanor. When alone in the room, he hides under a chair. When his Mom is home, he is out with her or on his cat perch in the window. He really loves our basement and his walking trips down there. They lived in that room for the first week here. They are now on the 2nd floor due his Mom not being able to sleep near the HVAC unit running. Please let me know your thoughts on the Phos or Lyc.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow Jane, great Materia Medica work!

Does Jack have any other urinary symptoms?

Licking his penis before or after urinating?

Crying while (or before/after) urinating?

Drinking more/less?

My first inclination would be for you to redose Nux.

It's good practice to repeat the last remedy that acted well as long as the symptoms (including the emotions) fit.

e.g. Nux is a Gr. 2 in this rubric: MIND - GRIEF - ailments,from

and a Gr. 2 in this one: URINE - BLOODY

If you used a 30c solution for the diarrhea, you could just succuss and redose the saved solution.

Please keep us updated.

Jane Evans

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for the quick reply!

He is licking his penis after urinating.

He is scooting after urinating.

He is drinking more.

He had additional bloody urine this evening.

Also, Dr. Colleen was here today for Freckles' fluids and she looked at his penis and said it was swollen. She also agreed it was most likely Pandora Syndrome.

We did use Nux 30. However I made it up at his house, and when they moved here, it was not transported with them.

I will make a new batch and succuss it back to the 15 I originally did and do 15 more and give him 1cc. Is this okay?

And as I am typing this, I actually think I gave him two doses in those three days. So I would have to build it up to 45 whacks.

There was so much going on with moving things around here to accommodate them. And then actually moving them in while he was not well while keeping my cats assured all would be well. So I am not 100% sure if he got 1 or 2 rounds.

Should I go 30 and 1cc or 45 and 1cc? And is 1cc right, or q-tip or toothpick?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
1. Yes. After you make up the dose, I'd advise 30 catch up succussions 1 hour before you give it.

Then 15 more when you dose.

The subtly altered potency from the succussions will improve his body's response to the Nux.

2. Yes. 1cc of the Nux 30c is perfect!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I agree that Nux fits this cat very well. The biting and hiding are very characteristic of Nux. The general improvement of eating more (drinking not an improvement in a cat), being bright and active also indicate Nux was beneficial.

Keep us posted on how he does.

Flower essences for your daughter - Check out Green Hope Farm Flower Essences and the Living Tree Orchid Essences - I have found them very powerful for helping people (a little hard to decide which ones for animals unless using intuition).

Jane Evans

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff and Dr. Christina. Wondering how long I should wait before deciding to give another dose of Nux if his bloody urine, increased thirst, and biting symptoms do not abate? As of 12 hours later, no change in behavior or symptoms.

And thank you for the info on the flower essences for our daughter. I had also given her Nux (whole pellets a few times during those first days since she was unable to eat and was vomiting with stress each morning while mustering up what it took to face the day-not pregnant.) Will take a look at the essences for her for going forward.

Jane Evans

All-Access Member
Registered
He was drooling once a bit today. I have not dosed again. Wondering if I should now or not. Still urinating blood. He has gotten more restless throughout the day.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
If you did not redose, I would. Being restless may point to a different remedy as I do not think he was restless before. Still, try another dose Nux, or if you did already, let us know the results.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes!

Did you redose Jane?

If so what was the response?

Is  the restlessness or other symptoms worsening? This would be a clue his body is giving you that a new remedy is needed (and the symptom details tell you what it might be).

In the meantime, if you redosed Nux and there was no effect, I'd try up to three Nux 30c 20 succussion 2cc doses. 4 hours apart.

If any symptom is worsening, don't keep redosing.

Jane Evans

All-Access Member
Registered
I did redose one more time with 2cc, and he is doing well now a few days post. I am following up with cucumber juice and cranberry juice with him for a few days. He is visiting the box less, not crying at night, not dragging his butt at all, or licking his penis more than normal. If he starts to exhibit frequent attempts to urinate or any of the other symptoms again, I will redose him 2cc. And update this thread. Thank you.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Thank you for the report. He is certainly showing improvement, so redosing when needed with the 200c would be perfect, unless new symptoms appear.

Dr.C

Jane Evans

All-Access Member
Registered
So Jack and Jen moved to their own place the end of October. A couple of weeks later he began straining in the litter box and crying and licking himself. She brought him to the ER, and they said he had Stuvite crystals, and they gave fluids and put him on a catheter. He also had diarrhea. He was there for three days. He left a wreck emotionally on pain meds and antibiotics and a medication to stop the bladder from contracting. He began hiding in the closet at home every time he felt a bit stressed, or someone visited. He was getting back to okay this past week and his appetite was back to normal as of a couple of days ago. He was also placed on Hills Rx diet for kidneys, and he had to adjsut. Last night he was in and out of the litter box again. Several urination piles in the box. This morning he is in and out and straining and crying and licking his penis. She saw a bit of blood, and the last visit to the box was just a bit of blood. He was drinking more yesterday. He is crying and hissing and growling and biting when she tries to touch him. He is sleeping now. She wants to take him back to the ER to have Perineal Urethrostomy surgery. Please help. She and Jack have been through so much stress and heartbreak this past year. She is asking my advice, and I am not sure what to have her do? I do feel this surgery may be extreme, but she feels she needs to have it done.

Jane Evans

All-Access Member
Registered
Forgot to add, he had several rounds of Nux 30c while they lived here. I think we were up to about 135 succussions in total with a 2cc dose from 1 pellet in 1 cup of water.

Jane Evans

All-Access Member
Registered
She took him to the ER today, and they said she caught it in a good time. They did a catheter and some pain meds and cleared him and he urinated. Sent him home. Thank goodness because she took him there for a PU. She gave him freshly made cucumber juice, blueberry juice, cranberry juice, and B12, Zinc, Rescue Remedy and water orally via syringe a couple of times today before taking him. Wondering now that he is home what the plan should be? Nux? Something else? Yes continue the Rescue Remedy daily, as well as the juices and supplements. Also adding in L-Lysine and Ester C. Would Magnesium Glycinate help? What remedy?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great that your daughter's cat didn't need surgery!

In addition to the juices, did Jen dose Jack with Nux before he went to the ER?

Regardless, a dose of Nux now could be helpful.

If Jack has been stressed since moving to the new home then that was certainly the trigger (not the cause) and yes, definitely continue the Rescue Remedy etc.

The vitamin C can help lower urinary pH in addition to boosting his immune system.

Magnesium in commercial diets have previously been associated with urinary symptoms, but actually can help.

Especially if Jen continues with the added fluids and keep's Jack's urinary pH below 6.5

She might want to periodically check Jack's urine, even when he's doing well, for he presence of crystals and pH.

Because bacteria play a role, Jen may also want to consider adding fresh cranberries or cranberry extract (such as the one from Rx Vitamins) to his diet to decrease any harmful effect from the bacteria.

D-mannose will also help.

You can read and watch much more in the HA! cystitis and kidney dis-eases course available at <a href="https://www.holisticactions.com/holistic-actions-for-cystitis-and-kidney-dis-eases-webinar/" target="_blank" rel="noopener">this link</a>.

The acute cystitis prevention and management Empower Hour! might also be helpful.

You can find it by <a href="https://www.holisticactions.com/hmdm-for-cystitis/" target="_blank" rel="noopener">clicking/tapping here</a>.

As far as individualizing homeopathic medicines for Jack to prevent future urinary symptoms,  that will require a lot more information and study.

That's exactly what he needs (individualization)!

At this time, is Jen really up to working with you or a professional homeopath to do that?

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom