• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Feline eye issue

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I woke up late and my cat was squinting her eye and it was watering. I opened the eye and it looked red. I took her to the ER under the advice of my vet. When I got there, her eyes were fine! I got back home and she was squinting again. I'm assuming this could be allergies? Any ideas?

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I will say I can't be allergies since it's just the one eye that is irritated. I will probably take her back to the ER and get her checked out in the next few hours if it doesn't get better.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Kathy, it is amazing how many times when I worked in clinics and ERs how animals' symptoms completely resolved as they walked in the door. Stress, being in the fight or flight, seems to override any but very serious problems. I would not go back to the ER today unless it makes you comfortable.

Have you created your holistic health care team yet? The sooner you do this the better. Search for find a vet or go to HolisticActions.com/select and read the whole article to see why you have to do a lot of leg work to select a vet near you or who works by phone.

A single eye may have a scratch, or something stuck in the eye folds, or maybe an ulcer. Try this today:

Do you have any human saline eye drops? Or an herbal eyebright eye wash for people?

Do you have your homeopathic first aid kit? If so, you can give a few doses of Aconite 30c (or from the health food store).

Two great books to have on hand would help you here:
Tilford and Wulff - Herbs for Pets (worth the $ to buy the 1st edition hard cover) & Anitra Frazier's newest edition of The Natural Cat.
Saline eye rinse: dissolve 1 teaspoon sea salt in a cup of water - cool.
Add 1 drop rescue remedy (or other emergency healing essence) to the cup of water and take a drop yourself, and if your kitty is distressed, rub a few drops in your hands and pet with it.

Flush the eye (again books have long descriptions how to do this) several times - if she fights it only do a really good flushing once.

There are other herbal eye rinses you can make yourself, but I do not want to overwhelm you.

You can also put a drop of Cod-liver oil in the eye which will protect and stimulate healing.

Next, find whatever makes her happy right now - cuddling, playing, catnip, eating treats, etc. And work on keeping your mind clear and unworried.

Read more the eyes: go to your member resources, resource library, eyes!

Dr. christina

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Kathy, did you go to the ER to have your kitty's eye tested for an abrasion or a superficial ulcer?

In addition to flushing the eye with saline, lubricating eye drops followed by hot compresses 3x a day can help her eye heal.

If you have an ionbox, try holding it a few inches away from her eye to soothe it and help it heal.

A vet visit is important if the eye symptom persists today or if her BEAM is decreased.

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you everyone! Sorry for the late reply. I ended up going back to the ER since her eye started acting up right after. what a stressful day! Now I know that if there is another eye problem then I know what to do. Thank you!

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
FYI the vet told me her eye got scratched. But just a day or 2 of drops worked fine so she is happy now. Thank you again!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Kathy!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom