• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Feeding Fermented Food for Your Pets Health

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi everyone-

On Monday's (2/3/20) webinar, we'll be taking a deeper dive into feeding raw, fermented food.

Doing so can be very helpful anytime your pets have a digestive upset.

In addition to the sauerkraut, kimchi and other fermented vegetables that I often recommend, the Probi supplement from ABC Biologicals and Answers pet food are great fermented products.

Another benefit of Probi is that it can help reduce glyphosate:

For a general review of how fermented foods are beneficial to people (and pets), take a look at what the MDs at Harvard have to say:

Also, click below for a copy of a detailed fermented food article.

Click/tap here for the article.

Answers Pet food is another great option for fermented, sustainably farmed foods.

Keely Parr

All-Access Member
Registered
I give Karma Kefir which is fermented and it soothes his gastrointestinal tract.

Keely

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Charlie doesn't seem to tolerate Answers fermented beef kefir at all. He did a little better on Answers fermented goats milk. He has done the best on fermented raw sauerkraut comparing his stools to the Answers products.

I'm looking forward to tonight's Empower Hour. I think Dr. Knueven said that getting probiotics from fermented products makes more sense than using supplements. Would like more info on this since our email from Saturday said fermented foods and probiotics are not the same.

Thanks!

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Here's a good article about probiotics compared to fermented foods:

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Here's a good article about probiotics compared to fermented foods:

@Dr. Jeff -- this article, Your Guide to the Difference..., put it all together for me in a quick and easy-to-read way, thanks! It helped me get through the highlights of the article you past last week on gut microbiota.

Do dogs and cats tolerate miso and olives? They're staples for me.

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Most do indeed tolerate them well Kristen.

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I like to make fermented foods for my dogs.
I always have water kefir on hand, it is super easy and inexpensive to maintain. Right now, while we hunker down and we never really know what is going to be in stock at the supermarket, this, for me, is perfect.
All it takes is water kefir grains, water and sugar.
If I don't have any fermented veggies on hand for my dogs I just use the water kefir straight.
I tend to use this in my fermented veggies in place of whey.
I get my supplies and a lot of my recipes from Cultures for Health.

Water kefir FAQs

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing this great info. Becca! :thumbsup:

What are the supplies anyone needs to order from culturesforhealth.com?

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
The absolute only thing you need is the grains. Cultures for Health recommends using a nylon strainer and I did order one when I started. Seems to be working, my grains are 6-7 years old.
You need a jar of some sort (glass) and something to cover while it ferments. If you have a mason jar and lids, that will work, or a large glass container of any sort with a coffee filter, cheesecloth, you be creative to make what you have work.
Here is a link to the grains;

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom