• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Ear treatment mentioned on the Empower Hour

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Sara I was listening to the Q and A and you mentioned an ear treatment. It sounded like Peletal. I looked it up and could not find it. Can you please spell it and is it a prescription or over the counter? I do know that some of the medications do cause deafness. My Gabby is mostly deaf and has had some ear issues in the past. I believe the ears were red but she was not terribly bothered with discharge or anything like that. I also heard about Zymox but it wasn't mentioned during the hour. After hearing that some ear medications cause deafness, i want to explore other options and whether they are really needed as discussed. Thanks.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Pellitol is available from compounding pharmacies. I order it from Wedgewood.
The Whole Dog Journal had an excellent article about it:
I do not know of an OTC source for Pellitol. You would probably want to see your vet put it in the first time, as it needs to be placed deeply in the canal.
Best regards,
Sara

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Sara Thank you for the good information. Do you think conventional vets would do this or would I have to have a holistic, alternative vet? My conventional vet never offered this to me. He even admitted that the conventional drug can cause deafness when I mentioned it. But he kind of said, "they all do."

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Lil,
When I was a conventional vet, I used Pellitol, but that was many moons ago. Our older technicians are familiar with Pellitol (and like it), and they worked in conventional practices. Pellitol fell out of favor because it can be messy and stain. It is incredibly safe and effective, and I think if more people were concerned about the negative effects of antibiotics and steroids, it would be more widely used. Wedgwood Pharmacy, where I get my Pellitol (or PellOtic, as they call it), is a conventional compounding pharmacy, so this is not solely an holistic treatment. It is always worth a try to show your vet the article!
Dr. Sara

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thank you @Dr. Sara , I appreciate the particulars and am going to "plan ahead" and have this option ready to go if and when needed. My conventional vet seems flexible and open so will print out the article and highlight. In all my learning of options for my dogs, I never heard of this before. It makes me want to dive into ALL the empower hours, maybe a marathon over the Thanksgiving holiday, to see what else I have missed. Right now I am dealing with a decline in kidney function in BOTH of my dogs. I have not posted the results yet as I have been over my head. Thanks for this addition to the Q and A Empower Hour last week!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom