• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog Limping

DonnaR

All-Access Member
Registered
What would you do? My dog BABY GIRL started limping a few days ago, she doesn't want to put weight on her Rear-Right leg. After 2-3 days it is not getting any better and wonder if an ANICA MONTANA dose or other remedy might help her. Only other symptom that never seems to go away is Weepy Eyes. Rest of her BEAM is good and unchanged.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Donna,
I would certainly start homeopathic treatment for BG. Do you have a history of injury? Did this occur after jumping or running?
In hind legs, one of the most common problems is an injury to the cruciate ligament. Gently flex and extend the leg (carefully!) noting if there is any pain on manipulation of the stifle (knee).
Do be sure that you have examined (carefully in case she is sore) her toes and feet for any wounds. Dogs can tear their pads on the strangest things, and they will limp quite dramatically. Thorns can create small wounds that are quite painful as well.
Homeopathic remedies stimulate healing, and thereby decrease pain and inflammation, so when an animal that is receiving homeopathic medicines feels better, they actually are better.
For wounds, I clean the area with a solution of Calendula herbal tincture diluted 1:10 with water. I then follow with homeopathic Calendula for scrapes, or Ledum or Silicea for punctures - take a look at the materia medica to see which seems more appropriate.
For joint sprains and strains, I initially use Arnica and Ruta, substituting Rhus tox for Ruta if the patient limbers up and feels better after moving around.
In all cases, decrease the frequency of administration as the patient improves.
A 30 C potency is initially given once or twice a day, a low potency (6x, 6C, or 12X) may be given up to 3 or 4 times daily when the injury is painful.

Other treatments that speed healing are acupuncture and joint supplements. Acupuncture improves circulation and decreases pain.
Supplements, such as vitamin E (5 - 10 IU per pound daily), glycosaminoglycans (7 to 12 mg per pound of each chondroitin and glucosamine), and salmon oil 1,000 mg per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight) ensure that adequate nutrients are present for joint repair.
Let us know how things go with the little one!

DonnaR

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks @Dr. Sara - I did the gentle stretching, some message and after dinner she is doing better. I have no idea what caused it - she might have jumped off the bed. She is 8 lbs, so that is a big jump. She thinks she is super girl - even though she has a ramp to get down off the bed. Thanks

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Here's hoping that SuperDog just jammed the joint a bit when she landed. Those work out fairly quickly.
It can be difficult to convince these peanuts to use some sense. I have a few clients with flying mini dogs who put big pillows on the floor around beds for when their little ones decide they would rather fly than take the stairs!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom