• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog Getting Patchy Pink Fur

JenniferB

Community Member
Registered
Hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day weekend. 🇺🇸

First time poster here... grace is appreciated :)

Aries is a @5 year old spayed female. She's mostly white with some black spots mixed breed (likely pitbull, maybe hound? dalmatian?). She is 60lbs and her BEAM and general disposition is also excellent except when she has skin flare ups. Constantly scratching, at times 30-40% of her skin covered in scabs.

We have bouts with fleas but never reach infestations.
To combat, we use essential oils diluted on bandannas they were around their neck.
Diatomaceous earth sprinkled in beds.
Garlic in food.

Of late, skin has gotten very pinkish in random areas. Pictures below. A little tough to see but you can get a sense of the pink color. This is new; last 60 days maybe. It’s even happening in places (behind her ears) where she can’t lick. We’re thinking that likely rules out porphyrin as cause.

Diet
Whole chicken skin removed before cooking over frozen or fresh green beans, frozen peas, fresh carrots and celery. Sometimes raw garlic cooked with the veggies. Just recently began adding chicken or beef liver and chicken gizzards raw to reheated food. Baked eggshells ground to a fine dust for calcium. Organic or cage free eggs 2 - 3x / week. Minced garlic in apple cider vinegar.

Supplements (frequency varies): L-tryptophan, Quercetin Dihydrate, Life Extension Dog Mix Multivitamin, Zinc, turmeric, and fish oil; same as above.

Condition status: See above.
Diagnostic work: No specific skin scrapes or biopsies. Bloodwork last August showed no issues.
Current and previous treatment: Currently not being treated by a vet. Previous… too many to list :( Countless remedies. Shampoos etc
Muciprin prescribed once.

image000000.jpg (4).jpeg

20240525_084505.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Jennifer!

Welcome to HA! and thanks for making your first post.

When did Aries first start having challenges with her skin and itching?

What is her favorite thing in the world to do?

I ask those two questions because psoric (a homeopathy term) skin flare-ups are often associated with things like emotional upset, toxins, drugs, vaccines, etc.

And because the way to go beyond these things is to optimize her energetic and immune balance.

Have you worked with a trained vet homeopath?

Optimizing her inner balance through happiness, sniffing etc. can often have the same effect.

However, physical stuff like food and supplements don't address the energetic state of immune hyper-sensitivity that we call "allergies".

Does that make sense?

JenniferB

Community Member
Registered
Thanks for the reply. Though it and the referenced info of which most I've already read or skimmed.. doesn't specifically provide thoughts on the pink fur... understood it's "allergies".

Aries has had challenges with her skin and itching since before we pulled her from the shelter almost 3 years ago.

Her favorite thing to do is everything... As mentioned her BEAM and general disposition is excellent. She plays (unsuccessfully hunts lizards and squirrels) in a yard not treated with pesticides. She goes on multiple, usually 2+ mile walks daily.

Yes we've worked with a trained vet homeopath. That is who prescribed the "Countless remedies" mentioned above.
Unfortunately, the last interaction we had with her on this very topic was to ask us whether we thought the turmeric was causing this pink fur. Of course we have no idea which is why we paid a professional and asked here. We've since stopped turmeric yet the pink fur has returned.

We have a new vet starting acupuncture for out other dog... We'll consult them about this too. Again... Thanks for the response.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
specifically provide thoughts on the pink fur
Only a skin biopsy can say for sure, but the most common physiologic reasons are porphyrin staining from increased licking (most common), dietary insufficiencies and intolerances (chicken is a common trigger) and minerals in the water.

A hair analysis might be informative:

However, even if this gets fixed physically, the underlying energetic imbalance will remain until it is addressed.

TCVM with tongue and pulse diagnosis and acupuncture can be curative.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi Jennifer! This a really interesting situation!

The one thing that comes to my mind is that there seems to be very little fat in her diet. Fatty acid deficiency (in this case, both essential fatty acids: linoleic acid (LA) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) can cause weird skin issues. Chicken skin is a good source of healthy fats. So, leave the skin on the chicken. Maybe add a little evening primrose oil (LA), or hemp seeds/hemp oil (LA) and flaxseed oil (ALA) to her food. The most common sources of linoleic acid are seed oils, which are not a good choice, since most are solvent extracted, and worse, from GMO/glyphosate-sprayed plants.

I associate reddish and pinkish tinges on various things (though not usually dogs!) with algae. That's a weird place for it, but if you are in a high humidity area, or if she swims, it's remotely possible. I say remotely since she has had lots of baths and that didn't solve it--OTOH bathing can disrupt her skin oil barrier and may have left her susceptible.

Just FYI, porphyrin is not what causes reddish stains from tears and licking. Rats get the same staining--and they do not produce any porphyrin at all. It's more likely an interaction with skin bacteria, since the one thing that will reliably stop it is the antibiotic Tylosin. And as you said, she has staining in areas she cannot lick.

Of course, Dr. Jeff's suggestions are also important for balancing her emotions and energy to support total body healing!

JenniferB

Community Member
Registered
Thank you again @Dr. Jeff !
AND @Dr. Jean Hofve for adding even more feedback & suggestions!!
So we were told to remove the skin from chicken that's not organic by our homeopath but that was to address a lipoma for our other dog Leo. She said that's where all the hormones and what not are...
And instructured us to add the Organic or cage free eggs 2 - 3x / week to replace the fat.
Since we cook their food together; that means Aries hasn't been getting the skin either for almost a year now.
We buy Perdue and Tyson chicken that's supposed to be no antibiotics but still have been pulling the skin off.
We did/do use fish oil but ran out recently.
We will definitely look into the evening primrose, hemp seeds/hemp and flaxseed oil sugguestions.
THANK YOU!
She does't have a lot of baths... Knowing exactly what you mentioned - we try to limit it to no more than 1/week and that's only if she's REALLY itching bad.
We DO live in an area that as high humidity - apologies for not mentioning - we're on the Gulf Coast of Florida in a down called Dunedin.
We have been trying to do everything we can to balance her emotions and energy support.... been on here for a few years.
But since the pink fur is a new "symptom" and I'm finally a member - like I said, thought I'd throw it out there.
THANK YOU AGAIN! 🙏

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Thank you for your first post.
Since you are new, be sure to avail yourself of the 101 health course - 5 lessons packed with general information.

Fleas - healthy dogs do not get more than one or two fleas and do not need any "prevention", so use their presence as a clue to keep working on balancing their energy field (homeopathy or good Chinese medicine). Download the Fleas Be gone book. Not in it yet are the flea tags, which usually are more effective than E.O. bandanas. one is ticklessusa.com

skin - in the 101, you will read that symptoms are clues of internal imbalance, so the major focus is to re-balance that. Sometimes the Happiness approaches Dr. Jeff listed for you are enough, or you may need what you have already tried - a vet addressing the energy field. Who was your homeopath? Does your acupuncture vet do tongue and pulse diagnosis? Does she ask questions about the dog in general, or merely pick a few points? These and more questions you can learn about in the select a vet article. Also, deciding how good a match a vet is for you and how best to work with them.

As you learn about how the body responds to treatments (evaluation of response) you will learn that if the dog can keep the symptoms on the skin level - we are happy - no matter how bad that skin is!! Chapter 2 & 3 are all about that in a very practical book on homeopathy by Don Hamilton - Homeoapthic Care of Cats and Dogs. Tracking the symptoms in an orderly fashion really helps as well - Download the Healthy Dog Journal.

Diet
You are doing great. Remember that each dog may need a different diet, so the more variety of proteins you use the better. Vegetables (raw and cooked) are best pureed finely for better digestion. go seasonal, even more variety. You will read more in the 101 course and in the resource library.

Supplements (frequency varies): Very good to vary the frequency and type of supplements.

Vets
Read the article on

Life for each of us is a journey of the soul, and sometimes the physical part takes many twists and turns. As long as BEAM and happiness are good....patience for the rest.

DR. Christina

JenniferB

Community Member
Registered
Thanks for all of that @Dr. Christina - I've reviewed it all and felt that it didn't answer my question or I wouldn't have posted; will refrain from doing so in the future... FYI you and I spoke years ago and you recommended me to Dr. Adriana Sagrera who is the one who recently question us if we thought the tumeric was the cause.
We're trying not to pay money to have professionals ask us for a diagnosis.
Curious - why was my post title changed from "White fur turning pink" to "Dog Getting Patchy Pink Fur"?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great suggestions everyone!

Good question about the title of the thread Jennifer. It may have been changed to improve SEO.

Also, regarding the physiologic causes of straining, this article has some good info:

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
"I've reviewed it all and felt that it didn't answer my question or I wouldn't have posted; will refrain from doing so in the future... FYI you and I spoke years ago and you recommended me to Dr. Adriana Sagrera who is the one who recently question us if we thought the tumeric was the cause."

As you will see reviewing past speakers at Holistic Actions, and even responses from the veterinarians here, we do not always have the same answers.

Please keep posting. If we do not answer your question, please post again and re-state your question. I misinterpreted and thought you wanted help building health.

This may be an unusual reaction to something causing fur in a few areas to turn pink. Each body is certainly unique.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Just checking in, Jennifer.
Any more questions (maybe we will have a definitive answer, but usually not!) or guidance for next steps to great health for Aries?

Dr. christina

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Um, my suggestion would be a radical change in diet: I'd toss the commercially-raised chicken. Perdue, Tyson, etc. is about the worst chicken you can get, in terms of how it is raised and fed. Skin or no skin doesn't much matter; it's all junk. Yes, we feed some chicken, but from a relatively small local supplier with a more benign husbandry. But for you, I would switch to any other meat for a while. Look for local restaurant suppliers, farmers - or at least switch off chicken and feed duck, lamb, pork, local fish (no Thai or other mass-farmed such as tilapia), beef, venison (talk to hunters), goat, etc. One excellent and nutritious dog product is from Greentripe.com - check your local pet suppliers or order direct. I'd also cut down on veggies; plants can be reactive in many ways. Try only a tablespoonful or so, and vary the kinds. Make sure she gets a good source of Omega 3s, from capsules, or fish body oil in bulk. Don't feed vegetable oils other than a bit of olive and a carefully-chosen medium chain triglyceride (MCT).

Do remember that homeopathy treats the entire system: when she is functioning well, the staining will go away. But there is no such thing as an appropriate systemic remedy "for" staining - so you could pursue a search for the remedy that so improves her that the staining will become a non-issue, and be rewarded by an abundantly healthy dog in all other ways.

So, pretend there is no issue, and feed a varied and bountiful meat-based diet. Let's see whaat happens....

JenniferB

Community Member
Registered
Hello again. Thank you ALL. Apologies for the delay here...

I'll try and unpack and reply as best I can :) LONG post ahead!!
Who was your homeopath?
As mentioned - Dr. Adriana Sagrera

Does your acupuncture vet do tongue and pulse diagnosis?

I believe so. We're using Dr. Holly Bedford. @Dr. Christina you may recall you actually vetted her for us years ago during the pandemic; but because of it we didn't get to partner with her at that time. That's when we started consulting with Dr. Sagrera virtually.
Dr. Bedford just came to our home last week for the first time to treat our senior guy Leo; primarily preventive stiffness and soreness + lipoma + chronic ear infections. She was solely focused on Leo that day so unfortunately, we didn't get to talk much about Aries. We have a follow-up in a few weeks for Leo combined with a first appointment for Aries.
Diet
You are doing great.
THANK YOU. We're certainly trying! 🙏❤️
Does she ask questions about the dog in general, or merely pick a few points?
She did ask A LOT of questions about Leo. She was here for almost 3 hours.
So we're very much looking forward to our next appointment for both of them.

It may have been changed to improve SEO.
If anyone understands that - I do! Good to know as a member and a digital marketer ;)
physiologic causes of straining
I believe you mean staining - and if so - I've mentioned above it's happening in places she cannot lick; like behind her ears. Thought about whether or not it could be Leo doing it... It's possible.
we do not always have the same answers.
Unfortunately, the response from Dr. Sagrera was a question.... not an answer; she asked us if we thought the turmeric was causing the issues. Again... why I thought I'd tried posting here...
Um, my suggestion would be a radical change in diet
Um, THANK YOU! Wonderfully valuable suggestions!!
Unfortunately the commercially-raised chicken is about all we can afford for now.
I'm not working and the acupuncture treatments are steep but we'll try to do better there too. And looks at some of the other suggestions along with... For reference, besides the preventive pain stuff for Leo; he also deals with chronic ear issues and a lipoma that's about the size of a grapefruit (or was!). Dr. Bedford did not comment on similar concerns about the chicken (not saying they're not valid! just mentioning ;) but didn't align with removing the skin to help his lipoma either...
What she did provided for Leo is below. Since we're still feeding them both together....
We're trying some of the Cooling Foods for Aries too. Small amounts of all for both.

And as mentioned, very much looking forward to her first appointment as the results for Leo's acupuncture are astounding!

TCVM Food Therapy:

General Foods Therapy Recommendations:

Yin Tonics (Cooling Foods): Turkey, Cod, Duck, Egg whites, Pork, Tofu, Cheese, Black Beans, Kidney Beans, Asparagus, Spinach, Tomatoes, Peas, Apples, Mango, Pears, Brown Rice, Broccoli, Celery, Cucumber, Lettuce, Pear, Strawberry, Mushrooms

Qi Tonics (Energy Foods): Beef, Chicken, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Pumpkin, Squash, Sweet Potato, Shiitake Mushrooms

Recommended Specific Foods Actions:
Resolve Stagnation: Ginger, Peach, Chive, Coriander, Dill Seed, Radish, Turmeric
Transform Phlegm: Almond, Pear, Orange, Apple

Recommended Specific Organ Toning Foods:
Support Spleen: Beef, Chicken, Salmon, White Rice, Brown Rice, Quinoa, Oatmeal, Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, Butternut Squash, Carrots, Mushrooms

Support Kidney:
Asparagus, Kidney Bean, Black Beans, Black Eyed Peas, Raspberry, Sweet Potato, Squash, Almonds, Walnuts, Beef, Chicken, Salmon

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom