• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Feeding Mackerel to Help Itchy Dog

ivegrgas

All-Access Member
Registered
Early this summer, my dog Xia, an 8 lbs chihuahua mix, started itching and, after several failed approaches, feeding mackerel helped identify the cause.

Xia is on a home prepared raw diet consisting of about 80% raw protein (meat and organs) and 20% cooked leafy vegetables mixed with calcium, Healthy Powder, omegas, vitamins A, B, E. Occasionally she gets Cornocopia supplements and least once a week she gets a chicken egg. Xia also gets a marrow bone or a frozen chicken neck at least once a week. During hot weather, Xia gets an "ice-cube" made of chicken bone broth as a treat.

Generally, Xia is a very clean dog and will spend a fair amount of time licking herself. Now and then she will scratch her ears, but usually, this is accompanied by scooting and is an indication that she needs to express her anal glands; and she does that on her own and has never been an issue.

The itching that made us concerned was more persistent. Xia used her hind legs to scratch her sides, and occasionally she would scratch her face. She would do this couple of times an hour, and while itching, her energy was more frantic, for the lack of better word. She would wake up at night and would start scratching herself.

At first, we attributed this increased itching to stress since I was traveling a lot at that time. But when I returned and the itching continued we suspected that the cause was environmental. We thought that washing might help. We used natural mild shampoos (based on oatmeal, hemp, charcoal). To ensure skin was not dry, we tried different conditioners. Although there were no visible hot spots, we applied a soothing herbal spray. When that did not help, we tried rinsing her with the solution of apple cider vinegar to no avail. (I wanted to add local honey to her diet, but I could not find any).

When none of these approaches helped, we started focusing on the diet. We have always avoided chicken or turkey as the source of protein. Generally, we will use beef, duck, rabbit, lamb, and on occasion, fish. As far as the vegetables go, they are never the same. Therefore, the goal was to find a protein that is nutritious but not likely to cause an allergic reaction that would manifest itself in itching. The solution came in the form of wild-caught frozen mackerel.

For the first feeding, we gave Xia couple of whole frozen mackerel. After the first curious looks, Xia proceeded to eat the little fish and expertly avoided eating the guts and a couple of tidbits that she did not fancy. By the second feeding, we learned two things: (1) Xia was no longer itching (HURRAY); and (2) to avoid having carpet smell like fish guts we must clean the fish before serving it to Xia (she has us trained so well). After a couple of days on the fish diet, we started introducing other foods. The first thing that we fed her was a frozen chicken neck. The itching started as soon as she finished eating the chicken neck.
From this experience, we have learned how to feed mackerel and to avoid feeding Xia chicken in all forms.

IMG_0135.jpgIMG_0137.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 11.54.12 PM.png

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
So great seeing her eat the Mackerel.

Thank you for the extensive write up as it demonstrates how to note the symptoms, then look for possible triggers, while temporarily soothing the symptoms.

Xia's health journey is not done. A healthy dog will not have a reaction to different proteins, so now the goal would be to improve vitality and balance so she can eat anything, or almost anything.

In homeopathy we talk about palliation. That is when something (a homeopathic medicine, flower essence, special collar, or specific foods, etc) seem to resolve the symptoms, but have to be continued.

What often happens is that if the underlying imbalance is not corrected, in a few months, or years, the current protein (mackerel for Xia) begins to cause symptoms. That is why we have kangaroo dog food!

Keep us posted as you explore improving Xia's internal balance.
Dr. Christina

ivegrgas

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr. Christina, thank you for the comment and for the reminder that Xia's health journey is not over.

Luckily, I am working with Dr. Jeff to help Xia achieve optimal balance. Taking into consideration other symptoms, Dr. Jeff has prescribed a remedy that I administered over the weekend. Now I am keeping a close eye on all the symptoms.

In the meantime, Xia is dining on the locally sourced rabbit and alpaca!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom