• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog femur only 20% in socket- hip replacement or alternative therapies?

AmandaR

All-Access Member
Registered
An 8yo Aussie has been told by a conventional vet that it needs a hip replacement. They say that the femur head is only 20% in the socket.

Is this a determination that makes surgery the best choice?
Could alternative therapies, supplements & herbs, medicinal foods, etc be enough to repair a hip to this degree?

Thank you!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yes, it would depend on how impaired his function is. And many times improving the health of the joint tissue, and strengthening the surrounding musculature could help a lot. Supportive braces also could be employed. It may not be a matter of "repair", but of simply improving what's left. There are also several different surgical procedures that could work, short of a complete prosthetic joint. I would advise a few other opinions be sought.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I have actually seen some hips reshape to almost normal. At 8 years this is a little odd. Was there trauma? How lame is your pup? What has Dr. kangas had to say about the hip, or are you not close enough to her?

How does your dog feel overall (we call it BEAM - behavior, energy, appetite and mood)?
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Amanda. Thanks for making your first post. ?

I'm sorry to hear about the pup. :(

Context such as his history, prior problems, lifestyle, etc. would be great. Also, if you have the x-rays or any test results, you can upload them here.

Also, Aruna has a lovely forum info. posting thread and video here:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom