• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Digestive Enzymes

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Everyone,
My kitty has been constipated (on and off) for years. I have tried so many things (diet, supplements, laxatives, etc,) and he has been doing better but only goes every 3rd day and is still constipated periodically. I had reduced the laxatives but may have to increase them again b/c he has two recent episodes. I am wondering if anyone has tried a digestive enzyme? There is one from Dr. Mercola I am looking at. Thanks!

i9skkjpnSu6HyZwMdcttVQ.jpg

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Nicole, could you tell us what you have tried in terms of feeding fresh foods? Eating a raw meaty bone diet often resolves constipation.

Also, does he have any other medical issues? And how is his BEAM?

And what other modalities have you used?

Have you tried probiotics? Using them along with digestive enzymes can help. There are many good brands - Earth Animal, Animal Essentials, RxVitamins are a few.

Increasing exercise is also important.

Dr. Christina

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @Dr. Christina
I have been giving him probiotics for years on and off and started again this past winter - he gets 1/2 2/day. I also give him a pinch of turmeric, flax seed, and bone broth, which I have been buying at the farmer's market. I have tried fish oil and magnesium but he won't eat his food when I put those in. I've tried pumpkin (no sugar) and that hasn't seemed to help. I am also giving him herbal liquid supplements.

His main issue has been constipation. He was on a raw food diet (Primal) for a long time. Dr. Jeff suggested to try one without bones. Right now I am giving him Smalls (homemade, delivered), Small Batch (froze raw), Raised Right (Dr. Becker's) and have been making food, too (lamb, chicken liver, quinoa, etc.) -- I am in the process of moving so I haven't been cooking much -- plan to do more homemade food once settled. I bought the chicken necks as you suggested and am going to lightly cook them tonight (I don't think they will eat them raw). I also want to try the healing touch modality. In the past we did a bit of acupuncture w/ a holistic house vet but she wasn't very successful getting him to sit still with the needles, so she stopped -- she only did it a few times and this was at least a couple of years ago. I'd like to try it again but haven't been able to find a vet in my area who does acupuncture for cats.

His BEAM seems better overall - he seems a bit perkier to me (he sleeps a lot but I have noticed he's up a bit more - at the windows, etc.).

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Given that his BEAM is improving, you could continue on your path and add the digestive enzyme. However, when any symptom has been this persistent (remember the 4Ps - persistent, problematic, peculiar, prominent) it is time for more professional help. If your acupuncture vet is not available, or there are not others in your area on the HA list of web sites you could have this kitty also become a patient of Dr. Jeff.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Oh, OK. Thanks for clarifying.
The silica homeopathic medicine will be addressing the constipation as well. Since the BEAM is better, I suspect the Silica is effective.
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom