• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cooked food for Piper

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
My 6 year old Great Great Dane was just diagnosed with Pemphigus Foliaceus with severe secondary bacterial infection. While undergoing treatment it was (very nicely) suggested by the dermatologist that I switch to a cooked diet vs her usual raw diet and I have no problem with that. Her immune system is so damaged right now and I want to give her every chance to heal. I’m looking for some good recipes and if there are any foods to exclude from her diet. She needs to gain weight as well. Thanks

48E9FC4C-C02C-435B-83B9-D0645BBB3C23.jpeg

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Have you thought about a consult with Dr. Stephanie Chalmers? She spoke on allergies and the problems with a lot of foods in the August 2020 Empower hour. She is a board certified dermatologist and certified veterinary homeopath. While trying different diets can help, homeopathy can address the immune problems, the skin and the weight.

For diet, I would review the talk on fermented foods. I have seen a few dogs fasted on the Answers fermented goats milk (lots of good bacteria for the microbiome) be very helped with skin problems. It can be added to any cooked foods. And Dr. Beal also discussed the foods affected with Glyphosate.

Amy (Dr. Jeff's wife) has a great video on cooked foods. Feeding some raw and some cooked may be a help. Remember that no one answer is correct. Some dogs with damaged immune systems recover with raw, others with cooked, others with a combo.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Judy.

I'm sorry to hear about Piper's PF diagnosis. :(

However, maintaining her vitality, cellular energy and ability to heal is more important than ever.

Feeding as many fresh, raw and lightly cooked foods is key.

Regarding the many recipes which are available, very few are truly balanced enough to be a mono-diet.

Meaning that only one food is fed.

Without the balance of a varied diet, the dermatologist would probably recommend a Balance-it or vet nutritionist-formulated diet.

Regarding the varied cooked component of the diet, consider some Instant-Pot of slow cooker meals.

Amy has shared a bunch on the forum and in the Holistic Fun-damentals course over at the main site.

Also, she'd be happy to do a cooking class with you in Weston or on Zoom.

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
Have you thought about a consult with Dr. Stephanie Chalmers? She spoke on allergies and the problems with a lot of foods in the August 2020 Empower hour. She is a board certified dermatologist and certified veterinary homeopath. While trying different diets can help, homeopathy can address the immune problems, the skin and the weight.

For diet, I would review the talk on fermented foods. I have seen a few dogs fasted on the Answers fermented goats milk (lots of good bacteria for the microbiome) be very helped with skin problems. It can be added to any cooked foods. And Dr. Beal also discussed the foods affected with Glyphosate.

Amy (Dr. Jeff's wife) has a great video on cooked foods. Feeding some raw and some cooked may be a help. Remember that no one answer is correct. Some dogs with damaged immune systems recover with raw, others with cooked, others with a combo.

Dr. Christina
Thank you so much. Not sure how I missed all this good info

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
Hey Judy.

I'm sorry to hear about Piper's PF diagnosis. :(

However, maintaining her vitality, cellular energy and ability to heal is more important than ever.

Feeding as many fresh, raw and lightly cooked foods is key.

Regarding the many recipes which are available, very few are truly balanced enough to be a mono-diet.

Meaning that only one food is fed.

Without the balance of a varied diet, the dermatologist would probably recommend a Balance-it or vet nutritionist-formulated diet.

Regarding the varied cooked component of the diet, consider some Instant-Pot of slow cooker meals.

Amy has shared a bunch on the forum and in the Holistic Fun-damentals course over at the main site.

Also, she'd be happy to do a cooking class with you in Weston or on Zoom.
Thank you

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom