• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

How to transition to raw food

lisa1951

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi,
I am new to this and Dr. Jeff suggested I post this request. So here goes...
I have a 3 1/2 year old Great Dane, who we are treating for a skin issue. However, part of his profile is that he is a picky eater with loose stools. He has been a grazer for most of his adult life. He has been on kibble with some tinned food, but I have been trying to switch him to "real" food. I have experimented with cooked food and doing it slowly, but he is annoyingly picky. Recently, I experimented with some frozen raw food, and while I was only giving him a small portion every other day, he loved it. As he has now almost stopped eating every other food I give him (home cooked, tinned, Honest kitchen stews) and eating about 1/2 the amount of kibble he usually would, I started giving him raw food more consistently in the morning to see if he would continue to eat that, and he did. So after only a few days of his eating almost nothing except the small raw food offering, I took a chance today and gave him a full breakfast of raw food -- 4x8oz patties! I have no idea if his digestion can handle this, but he is one happy boy. He looked so satisfied and laid down in the sun and looked like a lion that had just been fed and wanted a nap.
I am concerned about this, as I have no idea how to switch his diet, but I went by my gut that he is clearly choosing to eat what he needs, and since that is the case, hopefully his body can manage it. If today ends badly, I will back off the amount of raw food and introduce it more slowly. I will also be adding some mitomax Probiotic.
Regarding the change to raw I have no idea how much to feed. He was eating a 1 or 2 tins of dog food and 8-9 cups of kibble a day. Right now I am going off the package for raw food, which at 145lbs. says he needs 4.5lbs of raw food a day. I feel if his digestion and absorption of nutrients improve so will the volume of food he consumes. At least I hope so! I would like to think he will be able to eat all foods: however, right now my focus is on this switch to a raw diet. I am flying by the seat of my pants here, so any advice, thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Lisa-

I love, love, love the fact that Slate is liking his Primal raw food!

Since we just discussed my recommendations a few minutes ago, I'm going to hand off this discussion to a raw feeding expert @GinnyW.

Ginny, one extra word of context here. Lisa lives in Bermuda where sourcing raw foods may be more of a challenge.

Lisa, one question I didn't ask is whether there are any farms or other places on the island that raise cattle, chickens, etc. for sale to the public? How about fishermen?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom