• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Constipated kitties

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Ten days ago, someone dumped 2 tiny unweaned kittens outside my front gate. They were cold and wet and very hungry. I had nothing in the house to even make an emergency formula for them, so I used diluted cow's milk. They survived the night. The following day, I was able to purchase a milk replacement product Growlac Pets, which I have been giving them every 4 hours since last Saturday. For the first 5 days, they had loose bowel movements but for the last 36 hours, they have not passed any stool. They are still hungry and peeing is not an issue, but pooing certainly is and their little bellies are hard and swollen. Yesterday morning, my vet here suggested 3 cc of milk of magnesia every 8 hours but still no poop and I am quite worried. I am taking them to the vet this morning but at their young age (4 weeks) things can go bad very fast. I massage their little tummies and anal area but nothing has happened. What else can I do for them?

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Update; a trip to the vet yesterday and 2 tiny kitty enemas later, poop blockage issue mostly solved. The faster-developing kitten is pooping just fine now but the slower developing kitten seems to be plugged again. I asked the vet if I can use the milk of magnesia if constipation occurs again, and she said yes. Seems I was not giving them enough when I first started using it as I was giving them way less than what the vet prescribed. The measure is 3 cc, but I was giving less than 1 cc at a time.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great new Bonnie that the stool blockage got relieved.

Milk of Magnesia and topical magnesium oil are both great ways to help their defecating.

Perhaps make up a batch of magnesium oil from Epsom Salts (vs. Mg chloride flakes) as this can also speed intestinal transit. Magnesium works by increasing their cellular energy and and ability to maintain and regain internal balance.

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Well, the "plugged" are now "unplugged" and taking the bottle like little troopers. (see attached pics) Next challenge is getting them weaned. I have tried mixing some kitten food with their formula and putting some on their mouths and in a low saucer. They much prefer to be hand nursed! I think I am going to try mixing some kitten food with formula and giving it to them in a bottle. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance I am doing the correct thing here. Litter box skills improving but still need work!

IMG_20210627_115006.jpg

IMG_20210627_114159-1.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing the adorable kitty pictures Bonnie.

Just keep perservering as when they're ready to eat on their own (and use the bottle better) they will.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
This happened with my first (and only) time fostering 2-week old kittens. (I was a foster fail--kept 2 of them!). A little glop of Vaseline smushed into their mouths took care of the problem. (Great for hairballs too--totally inert in the body, passes through and "greases the skids" quite nicely!)

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
I think I am going to be a foster fail as well, Dr. Jean. We have solved the plugged plumbing situation, but the weaning process brings a new set of challenges. . . they don't want to! They won't even lick the formula/kitten food mixture off my finger. I think the little scallywags enjoy being bottle-fed too much!

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
LOL, I feel ya!! We can't all be perfect foster parents, right?

Some potential temptors to get them interested in something other than the bottle: heavy cream (not too much though), chicken baby food, Fancy Feast or Fancy Feast Petites or Fortiflora (I'm not a fan of Purina, but they *do* know how to make irresistible products!), Wysong Denta TreatI (don't think it does much for their teeth but it's mostly powdered cheese and quite yummy).

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
@catdoc , in my experience I find if i spread a little milk or other yummy on their paws and forelimbs, then when they groom they start to figure out they can get flavors/foods in their mouth on their own. Put down a little bowl of something and let them crawl through it, then they clean themselves and their mates as best they can. Let them get messy!! ;)
Good luck and keep posting those adorable pics!!
Becca

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Thanks Becca, I will try the food on the paws trick. I just came back from my vet with the little guys. They are both putting on weight but Zack (the ginger) at a much slower rate. The vet confirms they are both healthy as their little gums are the right pink colour. They are like two wriggly worms but I will take some more pics and post them

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
LOL, I feel ya!! We can't all be perfect foster parents, right?

Some potential temptors to get them interested in something other than the bottle: heavy cream (not too much though), chicken baby food, Fancy Feast or Fancy Feast Petites or Fortiflora (I'm not a fan of Purina, but they *do* know how to make irresistible products!), Wysong Denta TreatI (don't think it does much for their teeth but it's mostly powdered cheese and quite yummy).
Thanks Dr Jean, I will try some of your suggestions here. I have lots of Fancy Feast in the house since I have other kitty mouths to feed. The vet suggested Intestinal Care for a few days while they transition. I don't want to introduce too many different types of food as I don't want to upset their little tummies any more than they already are.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom