• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Collapsed Trachea

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello Dr. Jeff - I was told by Dr. Durtschi and other vets that I need to get Koby’s coughing under control because the more he coughs, the more collapsed his trachea becomes. He has been coughing so much that we are all very concerned. For example, the length of his coughing fit this morning lasted on and off for 30 minutes…

I understand that hydrocodone is not an option … I can try force feed him children’s tussin or blackberry syrup again but forced feeding him those in the past triggered more coughing…

I am also using Flower Essences for calming. Slippery Elm syrup (with honey) for soothing the throat. I can restart CBD regimen (once every four to six hours)...

Any other options to try during his homeopathic treatment while waiting for the vital force to be in balance?

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Low dose hydrocodone is OK to use.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Low dose hydrocodone is OK to use.

Thanks Dr. Jeff - I understand that both CBD oil and hydrocodone are suppressive. If both are effective in calming down the coughs, which would you prefer I give to K?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
CBDs.

However, they don't act on the same cough-center receptors as the hydrocodone so may not be as effective.

Also, they are both both make symptom interpretation more difficult by palliatively manipulating symptom expression, but are usually not suppressive.

Between the two, CBDs have less of a vitality-lowering effect.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
CBDs.

However, they don't act on the same cough-center receptors as the hydrocodone so may not be as effective.

Also, they are both both make symptom interpretation more difficult by palliatively manipulating symptom expression, but are usually not suppressive.

Between the two, CBDs have less of a vitality-lowering effect.

Thank you, Dr. Jeff - I’m holding off on giving him hydrocodone ?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Please let us know if the CBDs (and the remedies) help.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks, Dr. Jeff - I tried not to give him CBD too frequently during the day...so just mostly at night before bedtime or when he wakes up in the middle of the night coughing. I think the remedy (Puls 6c) is working steadily. :)

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Jeff - Koby was coughing very hard for the last two days (now his coughs are horse sounding) ... CBD and remedy didn't seem to be helping so I finally gave him ONE 1/4 tab of 5mg Hydrocodone (my last resort) today :confused: By the way, his coughing reduced by almost 60% for two days after we increased the succussion to 15.

I'm concerned about hydrocodone's vitality lowering-effect now...do I keep him on the same remedy, dosage and potency to pull his vital force back to before he took this med?

I thought about giving him an extra dose of Furosemide (to reduce coughs) but then his respiratory rate has been normal so I did not.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Don't worry too much Christine. :)

Did the hydrocodone help?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great!

Use it sporadically as needed.

Meaning, that if his cough gets bad and is not controlled by his homeopathic dosing, then give a hydrocodone dose and don't worry too much about the repercussions.

It's most important to his quality of life to be able to go on walks and interact without frequent and severe coughing spasms.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom