• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

CIRDC (and kennel cough) in dogs with gaggy coughs and spit up

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Is there something besides antibiotics to give for CIRDC? I have a friend who does rescue and he says it will run its course. The cough worse in morning. I did not want to use antibiotics as I believe the new dog already had a course of them. What ELSE can I try? And how to administer? Not sure I want to try putting a tincture in her mouth just yet. I do have some answers goat milk or would that make her even more congested? Can it ever worsen into pneumonia and how do you tell? This dog has had so many toxic assaults if there is something I can avoid I would like to in place of something else. Thank You.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Depending on the exact nature of the cough, the Kennel Cough homeopathic nosode can be super helpful for retching/gagging coughs.

Naturopathically, Throat Coat tea + manuka honey (a few sips 3-4x/day) also can be helpful.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Also, here's an excerpt from a great article from OSU vet school:

Antibiotics are rarely needed for dogs with
CIRDC (generally reserved for dogs with eye/
nose discharge containing mucus or pus along
with one or more of fever, lack of energy, or lack
of appetite; or illness longer than 10 days). Only
using antibiotics when indicated is important to
protect the health of your pet and the public

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Very helpful.. Will get the tea. She has not wanted to eat the vienna sausage for some milk thistle I was trying to get into her. Was going to try colostrum also. Tried Goat milk, no interest. She did eat her Rawbble food. I am feeding dry for the moment. Where do I get the Kennel cough nosode. Thanks for the tips and article. Will go get the tea and I have raw honey already

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

LilF

Community Member
Registered
You have raw manuka honey??

OH, MANUKA is the operative word! No I have raw honey. She seems fine when lying down. When she gets up in the morning the gagging is bad but better than saturday where it lasted longer. But she does sometimes still spit up some white stuff. This morning she went right back to bed after going outside. Her appetite has not been good for kibble (Rawbble) as it was the first day I brought her home friday. She does want deli lunchmeat or braunschweiger for her pills (trazadone) and yesterday she did eat some thin steak for supper. I cannot feed her a fresh diet right now and don't have time to with all the other things going on. I am posting more about some other problems that make me going out to get things difficult. Yesterday I gave her 2, 150 mg caps of milk thistle (Jarrow). I also gave her a colostrum (Pro Symbiotics) I hope her CIRDC is not getting worse. I thought it was getting better with coughing time decreased some, but she seems lethargic this morning.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom