• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi!

I have 2 shih tzus who live with me -Tater Tot and Toshia. Tater Tot had chronic diarrhea for several months when she was 7 years old. She lost weight and her albumin was very low. We changed her to a home cooked meal and muscle tested all her food and additives. She quickly recovered and we slowly transitioned her to a raw diet.

Fast forward 4 years and the beginning of this year she started having bouts of diarrhea again. Sometimes she will go months without diarrhea but since about May it has been more frequent. We have been working with Dr. Jeff, including homeopathy and supplements: Nutrigest, Dia-Assist and Floraphage. She also receives energy work from Catie, my mom and me. We feed her a bland diet of 50% meat (local turkey breast OR 93% lean beef) and 50% mushy rice or oatmeal. We feed her 4 times a day. I would like for her to gain some weight. Over the past couple of months, she seems to be having ~24 hours of liquid diarrhea every week or so. Happily, her BEAM is typically really good. On occasion, she seems low energy on diarrhea days but usually always looking for food and love. A big change for her is that she no longer wants to play with her Tzu pal Toshia but enjoys playing with her humans.

Interestingly, Toshia (who has an "iron belly" since she was ~ 1 year old and has been on raw for 4+ years) started having bouts of diarrhea since she had sand colic in May this year. And last month, they both had very similar spurting liquid poops. Toshi has seem to have recovered and we are starting to advance her diet slowly. She still has some mucus in her poop occasionally.

They have been tested for parasites and giardia -negative. We give them spring water.

I was reading about biofilms and was thinking perhaps to add turmeric to Tater's food. Any thoughts on adding turmeric? And any thought in general about possible supplements or anything environmental we haven't considered? We agree this is an energetic imbalance and Tater is doing the best she can and we would like to help her along as best we can :) Is it reasonable to feed her more? I am concerned if I feed her more it may cause more diarrhea...?

Thanks to everyone! I am so appreciative that we have a place and a community to discuss our furbabies!
Nova

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You have done such a great job with Tater and of course her energetic field does need more work.

Every animal is different in how feeding more food affects them, so I would start gradually increasing quantity while not changing anything else.

I will have to research about turmeric for GI tract issues. Mostly I know it for the pain relief effects. For that it does need to be given with black pepper and some oil.

Another possibility for any GI issue is Fecal Transplant (Microbiome Replacement Therapy - MBRT). There is a company now that has stool of clean, healthy dogs in capsules. While it may not be as effective as direct transplants, it has made a huge difference in many dogs and cats. www.Animalbiome.com

For Toshi, I am sure you are also working with Dr. Jeff as well.

Dr. Chambreau

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for posting @novasimpson.

Adorable photo, we'd love to see more of them (you can add them under "media" as you did for the pic of the girls with Santa)!

If their weights are OK, no need to feed more because I agree about possibly worsening the diarrhea.

Organic liquid aloe vera (1/4 cup/day to start), marshmallow and Rx Zyme will help sooth their GI mucosa.

Yes to turmeric, pepper and other ways to decrease biofilm production.

Click/tap here for a nice recent scientific article about turmeric breaking down biofilms.

@christina may have other ideas about diet, supplements or other useful supplement.

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Nova-

MBRT and AnimalBiome are great ideas for both girls!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom