• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Chicken drum sticks (pulled off the bone), beef chuncks, chicken breast chunks - Good start to canine raw food diet

RobinT

Registered
I'm mixing in beef and chicken chunks with pulled chicken drum sticks with regular food. Is this (picture attached) a good start? Also, I'm going to ask the Butcher to slice the beef femur bone in half so they can eat the marrow but any splintering, puncture safety hazard with giving the whole bone?

Thanku!

20230727_225520.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Robin!
good start?
Yes, this is a great start!
giving the whole bone?
No problem IMHO. Let's see what the bone boss has to say. @GinnyW ?

BTW-It would be great if you can find a local family farm to patronize as they're usually much more humane to their animals than companies that rely on factory farming like Perdue and other "big" names.

Plus the local farms are often willing to sell glands, organs and other parts to pet parent (some are even now making their own pet products).

A vitamin/mineral supplement like this will help "balance" the raw diet:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
My ears are ringing:) Yes, I'd like to see a more balanced selection, including edible bone. Drumsticks, et all, may not be the best longterm answer. Can you just buy whole chickens and whack them up? You can always save drums and thighs to make broth. But feeding "frames" such as keelbones (breasts), backs, and even wings will provide great nutrition with suitable challenge. You can feed the occasional BIG bone, but watch to see how it is handled. No "marrow" bones, or the other "dog bones" that butchers offer; they are tooth breakers when chomped; and especially avoid crosscut or "ring" bones which can become stuck around jaws.

I knew two dogs who ate chicken backs exclusively for 90% of their lifespans - they met me early on:) - and thrived fairly well. But the overarching factor in diet is variety over time - many animals, many parts, lots of organs. You might look for products from www.greentripe.com - mixes of tripe and organ meats that provide a wonderfully nutritious basis which one can supplement with suitable bony things. Look also for pork neckbones, pork ribs, rabbit, lamb ribs, lamb tails, hearts, kidneys. Try ethnic markets - Chinese, middle-eastern, etc.

Also, search your area for raw feeders and their sources. Many groups of buyers exist that do group buys, either of meats, or high-quality prepared meat mixes. Or, as Dr. Jeff said, look for local farmers. So, look for variety over time, and other raw feeders, for an optimal and long term solution. We're out there!

RobinT

Registered
Hey Robin!

Yes, this is a great start!

No problem IMHO. Let's see what the bone boss has to say. @GinnyW ?

BTW-It would be great if you can find a local family farm to patronize as they're usually much more humane to their animals than companies that rely on factory farming like Perdue and other "big" names.

Plus the local farms are often willing to sell glands, organs and other parts to pet parent (some are even now making their own pet products).

A vitamin/mineral supplement like this will help "balance" the raw diet:

Woot! Thank you Dr Jeff!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Robin!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom