• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Chewing Paws and Itchy Skin

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello, we switched our 3 year old mastiff from kibble to a raw food diet because we were hopeful that her skin irritations would be alleviated. It worked for a little while, but now its back and she has been chewing her paws and rubbing her chin on the carpet. I spoke with Dr. Jeff last week. He suggested that we give her a test dose of Thuja, which I did last week and she didn't have any reaction. So, tonight, I will give her the first dose! My question is, do I give it to her on a qtip again to her gums, after I succuss it 10 times or is there another way I should dose her?

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Lisa-

Yes, sticking with a Q-tip dose is the best way to let the remedy do its job without aggravating her itching.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Lisa.

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff! Naya had her last dose of Thuja yesterday. First, I have to say that she acted like I was poisoning her with the Q-tip, but I tried my best to get it on her gums three times. She is still chewing at her paws. I didn’t want to continue dosing because I think you said no more than 3 times. Any thoughts on what our next step would be?

Thank you for your help in trying to figure this out!
Lisa

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lisa-

Now comes the time when we watch her body for symptom clues.

Symptoms shifting or coming and going show that she responded to the dose and that her internal balance is changing.

Please update us by next week.

Thanks!

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
Hey Lisa-

Now comes the time when we watch her body for symptom clues.

Symptoms shifting or coming and going show that she responded to the dose and that her internal balance is changing.

Please update us by next week.

Thanks!
Hi Dr. Jeff,

I've been watching Naya for the past week. She does seem to be chewing her paws a little less (yay!). Now I've noticed that she is also chewing her private area. It's not red, like her paws and she isn't chewing as often as her paws, but that is a change. I try to distract her when I see her chewing and it seems to work temporarily, but she does go back to chewing. She seems to be especially itchy in the morning, when she first wakes up before breakfast.

Looking forward to the webinar this evening!

Lisa

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello, I noticed these bumps on Naya’s belly this evening. I haven’t seen her chewing at her belly very much, but she’s not with me during the day. So right now, it’s her belly, paws and chin that seem to be irritated. Some times I’ll see her mess with her ears but not often enough for me to be concerned and there isn’t any odor or dirt in her ears.

Also, I haven’t changed the protein in Naya’s food. She either gets chicken, beef or turkey. I heard Dr Chalmers mention last night that chicken is a food allergy or sensitivity that she sees often. We’ve taken Naya off of chicken several times in the past, nothing changed, she was still itching. Once we switched her to a raw diet, everything cleared up for quite a while, so I thought we were safe with the chicken. Should I try to remove it from her diet?

Is there anything I can give her to help alleviate some of the itchiness? I know the plan is not to treat the symptom but I wasn’t sure if there was something I could do. I feel so bad not being able to help her. She doesn’t understand why she can’t scratch or chew.

Thanks for reading all of this!
Lisa

03B2A565-1B74-43D7-93B6-D46016F3BB6D.jpeg

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Dr. Jeff lost his electricity last night, so he may not be able to respond. I assume that you had an appointment with him when the Thuja was prescribed?

I would not want to prescribe right now because he may have already decided on the next possible remedy given the case taking appointment.

Yes, for now I would stop the chicken. I would even try a fast for a few days of only feeding Answer's fermented goats milk or fish broth. See the Empower Hour when Chris from Answer's spoke.

For now, there are a few things that may help relieve the itching in addition to Dr. Chalmers suggestions.

Using herbal topicals, flower essences, plants from your yard, natural oils (like coconut) can soothe the ear or skin while the deeper imbalance is being healed with homeopathy, acupuncture, herbal therapy, Reiki, other intuitive healing or chiropractic.

You can offer Reiki (once you are trained or see Kathleen Prasad's Empower Hour on getting into a calm, connected state and offering soothing several times a day.)

TTouch Anxiety Wrap,
oral flower essences such as Rescue Remedy, acupressure, bathing and distraction rather than saying not to itch (toss a ball, etc.)

Be willing to tolerate a bit of an ear itchies or skin itchies while the deep healing is happening and be glad that deeper problems are not manifesting.

SOOTHING TOPICALS:

From the Grocery or Health Food Store:

Sweet Almond Oil, Vitamin E, Calendula gel, Hypericum gel, Mullein, Oatmeal baths. Put raw oatmeal in a stocking, get it wet, and then drip the liquid on the skin or in the ears.

Aloe vera - drinkable from store or cut off a piece from a live plant (ask permission of the plant and thank it) rubbed on itchy areas (best for belly as may rub off the paws).

Rescue Remedy is an easily available (at any health food store and many regular stores) combination flower essence to “rescue” when needed. A drop or two can be added to any of the following topical treatments or 4 drops in a pint of water can be sprayed or sponged on itchy areas and giving internally multiple times a day. Bach remedy Crab Apple is good for skin as well.

Other flower essence companies have combination skin and/or ear products. Check out www.GreenHopeEssences.com, spirit essences, www.Anaflora.com (Sharon is also an animal intuitive so that may help discover what is triggering the itch).

Animal’s Apawthecary’s has a great anti-itch Fido Derm Spray - amazon and others.

Ayush Herbs: Neem oil (www.ayush.com)

Earth Animal allergy and skin (Natural Pet Remedies - Earth Animal)

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for the awe-some post @Dr. Christina!

Lisa, these bumps may be part of a curative response to the Thuja dose a few weeks ago.

Has her BEAM, or any other symptom, changed?

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Christina, thank you so much for all of the information!! I do have some Rescue Remedy at home and some Vitamin E oil. I appreciate you taking the time to share everything!

Dr Jeff, I’m glad your electricity has been restored! Her BEAM is still good, nothing else has changed. She’s still full of energy, great appetite. If it wasn’t for the itching, I wouldn’t think there was anything wrong.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Please then update us with any changes by next week.

If your local vet hasn't seen her recently, now might be a good time if you want a conventional diagnosis.

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
I really don't want to take her to her vet. She has gone to three different vets, she's scared to death of them, they muzzle her and the last time they had to sedate her. Its so traumatic for her and they are just going to tell me that its allergies and to put her on cephalexin. If it's ok with you, I would like to continue on the path that we have started. Although she won't let me spray anything on her, so I'm spraying the areas where she lays with rescue remedy. We're going to try the oatmeal bath this weekend.

I went back through the Empower Hours and rewatched the Answers fermented goats milk, so I'm going to order some of that as well. She does get kefir water with her food every morning, but I'm going to try the goats milk.

I'll send an update next week.

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, I understand the unhealthy stress of a vet visit Lisa. I agree that if Naya continues to have great BEAM, that the skin rash may not warrant it. Has Becca seen it?

Please keep us updated.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I totally agree to not go back to the conventional vets, especially as you said - "Her BEAM is still good, nothing else has changed. She’s still full of energy, great appetite. If it wasn’t for the itching, I wouldn’t think there was anything wrong."

If the vital force can keep the imbalance on the outside (skin) it can stay strong, so keep working to find the soothing treatments along with specific homeopathic treatment.

Dr. Jeff's electricity is still off, so keep trying the soothing approaches until you can have a follow up appointment with him. Keep tracking any modalities (things that make the skin better or worse).

Dr. Christina

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello! I apologize for the delay in sending an update. Unfortunately, Becca and I have not seen each other since this quarantine so she hasn't seen Naya's skin irritations first hand.

Naya has been off of chicken completely for almost a week, it will be a full week tomorrow. The fermented raw goat's milk arrived and I started giving it to her on August 14th. 3/4c for her weight. So far, she's still itching. She still won't let me near it to apply anything to it, no oatmeal baths, no aloe. I have been putting three drops of rescue remedy in her food in the morning, along with still trying to spray the areas where she lays. I'd like to say that my entire household is chill now because of the rescue remedy, but that's not the case. :)

After the Empower Hour this evening, maybe I need to give acupressure a shot. Her BEAM is still on point. Thankfully!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry that Naya is still so itchy, Lisa. :(

Stopping the chicken was a great move, but it may take up to six weeks to see a difference.

Yes, acupressure would be great for her!

In fact, as Amy said tonight, even just sharing your chi can help re-balance the underlying energetic imbalance that's causing her itchiness.

IMO, "smoothing" the flow of energy is why many forms of massage and therapeutic touch work so well.

One more thing to try is Eden Energy, which Dr. Vicky said should help itchy Archie and could also help Naya.

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you. I’ll try to work with sharing my chi. I’m also going to look into the Eden Energy.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom