• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat with UTI & Super high Kidney values - Vet talking euthanasia

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff, You know Lucy has Kidney Disease. She was hospitalized yesterday after UTI was not getting better and 103 temp (see test results attached)
Can you help me with what to do next since vet is talking euthanasia and her body shutting down. Here is her timeline since we last talked in our April call.
  • MON 4/6 - she went to vet for yearly checkup and blood test
    • BUN 94
    • CREATININE 5.9
    • PHOS 5.3
  • 4/7 - she started having diarrhea
  • 4/8 - diarrhea again (gave her ARS ALB - no change)
  • 4/8 - diarrhea better / stooll 1/2 normal 1/2 loose (gave her ARS ALB)
  • 4/9 - diarrhea gone
  • 4/17 - some blood in urine found - she wouldn't let me give her SUBq fluids that night
  • 4/18 - gave her 1.5x fluids in morning - no blood seen
  • 4/19 - she didn't want fluid's again
  • 4/20 - She got SUBq fluids 1st thing in morning, she was seeking out heat, was constipated, vomitted up dinner (NUX + coconut oil in rice + liver powder)
  • 4/21 - Didn't want to eat all day - would drink cream (George's Aloe given) - 1/2 of normal SUBq fluids given that night
  • 4/22 - Got 1.5x SUBq fluids at lunch - no breakfast, got goats milk/ cream and baby food for dinner with some bologna
  • 4/23 - took her to vet - diagnosed with UTI and put on ClavAmoxi - symptoms were she was straining to pee and poop, but was eating/drinking and perky as normal this entire time --- got 1.5x SUBq fluids after dinner
  • 4/27 - diarreah started again
  • 4/28 - vomited over night
  • 4/29 - Lucy back to normal - jumping all round, pooping and peeing just fine
  • 5/11 - UTI followup checkup and it was NOT better - still infection in urine so vet sent urine out to be tested by lab to see exactly what type if infection to give her correct Antibiotic (unfortunately the lab lost her urine and vet sent again 5/17) --- she's eating fine with normal behavior
  • 5/13 - started vomitting hair with little fluid overnuight (NUX given all day) - normal eating and behavior
  • 5/14 - vomitted overnight hair with little fluid again (NUX and ARS ALB given all day - ARS ALB seemed to help) - normal eating, a little less playful today
  • 5/15 - not eating, not vomitting any more (NUX and CAN given) - called VET, was told to wait for my vet to be back on SUNDAY 5/17 - lithargic but was walking around, weak so couldnt jump on counter like normal
  • 5/16 - ate breakfast, ate broth and some chicken for dinner hand fed to get her to eat (NUX and CAN given and ARS ALB) - sleeping all day - ARS ALB seemed to help since she ate some chicken and broth for dinner
  • SUN 5/17 - Took her temp and it was 103 degrees, so took her to VET immediately - urine test done and infection still there (clavamox not working) - this is when we found out lab lost her urine and so had to send it out again to try to figure out what antibiotic to give her.
    • TEMP was 103 at vet in morning
    • BUN 155 (up from 94 on 4/6)
    • CRE 12.8 (up from 5.9 on 4/6)
    • PHOS 8.3 (up from 5.3 on 4/6)
    • started her on intravenous fluid drip (700 mls / day)
    • ANTIBIOTIC 1x/day started - Cerenia 10mg/ml and Enrofloxacin 22.7 mg/ml
    • Famotidine 10mg/ml 2x/day for coating stomach to stop nausia
    • Vet thinks infection is causing all these symptoms.
    • She ate when I visited her 2x, was a little out of it, lithargic in AM, in PM she was more alert rolling over to let me pet her belly
      she stayed overnight at vet on fluids
  • MON 5/18 - TODAY - after
    • morning TEMP 101.4 degrees
      • BUN 178 (up from 155 on 5/11)
      • CRE 15.3 (up from 12.8 on 5/11)
      • PHOS 8.8 (up from 5.3 on 4/9)
      • AM Visit - she ate well, peed, no poop, little more alert - but still a bit out of it --- purred like crazy whole time I was there
    • Vet calls me about lunch time saying it is looking bad with these test results - might be end of life - time to think about euthenasia
    • afternoon TEMP 99.9 degrees (normal)
      • PM Visit - she ate at least 1 cup of food before I got there, peed, no poop, stood up when she saw me - more alert
      • I gave her RESCUE REMEDY drops in mouth, rubbed it all over t-shirts I left in her cage at vet, put on my hands and petted her all over with it too - her alertness went thru the roof, walking all around, eating more, purring up a storm - growling at the tech's (this is good behavior for her)
    • left her with vet overnight to keep getting intravenous fluids and Antibiotics listed from yesterday

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
Here are the test results

Attachments

• Lucy - 2020 04 09 Blood Test Results from Sango Vet.pdf
    139.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Lucy - 2020 05 18 - RECORDS from Sango Animal Hospital (UTI not better).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
more test result history on LUCY - BUN and CRE were normal until VET put her on ATOPICA for alergies and licking her hair off in JULY 2019, then kidney failure happened OCT 2019.

Attachments

• Lucy - 2019 10 15 - NVS kidney tests.pdf
    416.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Lucy - 2019 11 14 - Blood test (after 1 week on raw diet started).pdf
    281 KB · Views: 1

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
Dr Jeff asked this morning if LUCY is eating - yes she is now (KD food at vet). He recommended I take her fresh food to feed her every few hours.

He also recommended MAG OIL for her constipation - applied to belly or underarms

He also said to stop all Antibiotics - I asked why if she still has UTI after 4 weeks. We are setting up a call to talk more on the phone tomorrow.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, Donna! I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy's response to the atopica.

Yes, her kidney values are very high, but some of her parameters are actually not too bad.

It's outstanding that she's still eating as you texted me this am.

Let's start by your defining your observations of the totality of her symptoms.

What is most prominent right now?

Are the UTI symptoms or diarrhea still there? If so, it would be very helpful to know the details of these or any 4P (Persistent, Prominent, Problematic, Peculiar) symptoms.

Also, what medications is she taking?

Please continue her subcutaneous fluids today and continuing feeding small frequent amounts of fresh food mixed with the phosphorus binder (Phos Bind from Rx Vitamins).

How's her BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood)?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Donna for posting your update this am which you were writing when I was also posting, so I'm just now seeing it.

Your updating this thread is a fantastic way for you to help others decide what to do.

Thanks again. ?

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
UPDATE today 5/20:

LUCY CAME HOME from vet yesterday evening. She got 150 mls of SUBq fluids, she at 1 cup KD food, purring alot, sleeping in her bed, drinking some, peeing normally, pooped overnight. No temp.

1. Kidney profile taken yesterday 5/19 3:30pm
    • CRE 7.4 mg/dL (down from 15.3 on 2 days ago, 5.9 was baseline)
    • BUN 110 mg/dL (down from 178 on 2 days ago, 94 was baseline)
    • PHOS 10.5 mg/dL (up from 8.8 2 days ago, 5.3 was baseline) - but vet is not giving her PHOS-BINDER
  2. Vet prescribed:
    1. 150 mls SUBq fluids 2x/day starting last night
    2. 1.2 ml of VERAFLOX every 24 hrs (stronger antibiotic as we wait for the external lab report to tell us what the UTI bacteria anti is best)
    3. PHOS-binder in her food 2x/day
    4. KD Food mixed with cooked fresh food (to minimize bacteria being eaten)
  3. PPPP
    • Persistent =
      • UTI infection
      • Constipation (but she pooped last night after I applied MAG OIL to her belly 2x yesterday)
    • Prominent = UTI infection
    • Problematic =
      • Fever this past weekend but normal now
      • Loss of appetite over weekend when fever came - but eating like crazy now
    • Peculiar =
  4. BEAM
    • BEHAVIOR = sleeping mostly, pees normally, wants to jump up on countertop but can't yet (too weak still) - she is jumping up on chairs to table to look out window at birds
    • ENERGY = Low
    • APPETITE = Great - eating every 3-4 hours 1/2 cup KD
    • MOOD = relaxed

Attachments

• Lucy - 2020 05 19 - KIDNEY PROFILE results from Sango Animal Hospital.pdf
    276.4 KB · Views: 1

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
Here are her discharge notes for last 3 days at VET showing meds given,etc.

Attachments

• Lucy - 2020 05 19 - DISCHARGE DOC from Sango Animal Hospital.pdf
    329.7 KB · Views: 2

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Donna. Please let us know how she does after the individualized remedy dosing that we discussed today.

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
UPDATE 5/21: LUCY's doing good today. *** @Dr. Jeff I never got your notes from our appointment, could you send to donnareed7@gmail.com again? thanks
  • ARS ALB 30c one dose right after our call - no noticable reaction at that moment
  • MAG OIL applied to her belly again for constipation - she pooped a good poop over night and peeing fine. whoop whoo!
  • 150 mls SUBQ fluids taken well last night and this morning.

BEHAVIOR / ENERGY- I found her on the kitchen counter-top this morning - so she jumped up there herself - so she is getting her strength back. She is walking around more and more alert. Not liking me petting her too much still, but getting better. Grooming herself and more awake this morning.

APPETITE - eating very well and asking me for food

MOOD - purring happy this morning. Drank some cream with other kitties w/o any hissing ! that's amazing.

Last edited:

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
QUESTION 1 : ANTIBIOTIC - My biggest concern is the bacteria in her urine. Vet says it is UTI and wants her to stay on new antibiotic VERAFLOX for 6 WEEKS. @Dr. Jeff, what was your recommendation about this?

RESPONSE: Dr Jeff said to keep taking it.

QUESTIONS 2: FOOD - As we discussed, my vet believes raw food is introducing "bacteria" into her body and she wants me to sear her meat's outside before feeding it to Lucy. And she really wants me to feed her Hills KD diet canned food. You said to keep it as raw as I can - so I started that for dinner last night on top of the KD and she ate it just fine.

RESPONSE: we decided to add fresh meat seared on outside to her KD food to it with probiotics, enzymes, phos-binder, RX Kidney.

Last edited:

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff also recommended:
  • Rena-Go to help her constipation - since Mag Oil is working I'm holding off on this
  • Wysong Archetype (freeze dried) to help supplement the canned food since my town doesn't have raw available - i go everyday and there is nothing to buy & vet wants her to stay on Hills KD canned
  • NUX dos after visiting Vet since it is so stressful for her
  • HEARTWORM - ask Vet if she is seeing it before giving it to Lucy
  • eLYTES - great to give her
  • PROBIOTICS - give her daily
  • FISH OIL - give her daily

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
QUESTION: Vet wants me to take Lucy back into her tomorrow to take Kindney Panel. It stresses her so so much to do that. What do you recommend I do other than take her and give her NUX afterwards.

RESPONSE: Dr Jeff said to wait for a week to minimize stress on Lucy - since she just got tested 2 days ago.

Last edited:

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you to @gailpope for coaching me on end of life if that were to happen as Vet is talking Euthenasia. I've read her website (BrightHaven | Holistic Animal Sanctuary, Hospice, Rescue & Education Center) at least 3x to get it into my head. I highly recommend reading it before you need this advise. What a help in preparing me to think about things now. Thanks Gail

Getting your head and heart in the right place for our pets is so critical.

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
UPDATE 5/22 - Remote Lab finally reported that she has E COLI, so vet did say to keep giving Lucy VERAFLOX for 4 WEEKS.

BEAM: Lucy is doing great at home. Jumping up on tops, eating great, and has pooped 1/2 her body (exagerating for drum roll of course :) ) MAG OIL really works great. Itching getting better, not gone yet.

@Dr. Jeff recommended:
  • Arsenicum album 30c 15 succussions Q-Tip dose today and please send a web form update on Monday.
  • Please start mixing in Wysong Archetype with the canned food to increase the food's vitality.
  • Use both Phos-Bind and the Aventi as phos. binders (alternate them with each meal)
  • Rena-GO and AminAvast will also be very supportive to her kidneys.
  • Continue to use the flea comb and add diatomaceous earth topically and environmentally. The essential oil spot on I mentioned is called Dermoscent.
  • SUBQ fluids continue 150mls 2x a day as long as her body is absorbing it

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much Donna for updating your thread! Lucy's come a long way since 4/6 and:

vet is talking euthanasia and her body shutting down.

By your supporting her body, she is healing beyond vet expectations. What Dr. Rudy Ballentine calls "Radical Healing".

Good work!!

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
UPDATE 5/31 - Lucy is doing excellent. Vet just called with the latest Urine Test values that are lower than back in November!!!!! I'm mixing fresh food in with her KD diet (KD for now) - adding Wysong Archetype and Reno-Go. Her appetite is a great one. I'm giving her 150 mls SubQ fluids once a day (down from 2x/day) for a week and the values were excellent as you can see)

ITCHING - I'm waiting on Dermoscent order delivery still, for her skin. In the mean time when I see her start to itch I give her ARS ALB 30c expressed 15x via q-tip to gum. 1st time I had to doser her every 10-15 mins for about an hour, itching stopped. 2nd time I only had to dose her once.

Thank you @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina @Gail.

DonnaR

VIP Member
Registered
P.S. Since Lucy gets very stressed out going to vet - I gave her RESCUE REMEDY dose about 45 mins before getting into her crate. also rubbed a little on her face and towel in the crate. This is the mellow-ist I've ever seen her going to the vet!!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic that Lucy is doing better Donna! :)

Itching is not often a sign for dosing of a homeopathic medicine.

The one exception would be a drop in BEAM along with the itch.

Yes, the calming effects of Rescue Remedy can be amazing.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom