• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat Urinating and Defecating Outside of Litter Box

JanelleG

Registered
Hello everyone, I am new to the community!

I have two cats and we recently just welcomed a little Bichon puppy to our home.

My older cat, Olivia, has started urinating and defecating outside of her litter box which is very unlike her. Any thoughts to what may be causing this behaviour?

Thank you,
Janelle

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome to HA! Janelle!

Did Olivia's "inappropriate elimination" (which is vet speak for pooping or peeing out of the box) start before your new puppy came home?

JanelleG

Registered
Thank you, Dr. Jeff.

Yes, the behaviour was occuring before puppy arrived (it's been going on for about two months). I have another cat, Halo, and she is not spayed--I will have more questions on whether to spay or not to spay in another post-- and she bothers Olivia quite a bit when she is in heat, so I'm not sure if that is causing Olivia stress.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for posting.

First to help with the last question - go to Non member login - Holistic Actions! for some information about spaying.

Do you have at least 3 litter boxes?
Is one on them in a place where Halo tends not to go?

Make a timeline of when the behavior first began ( even if it was once, then weeks or months later began repeating). Think about what could have triggered it. If Halo - it would likely be only when she was in heat. Did you change cat litter at any point? Where does she go when not in the box?

Have there been any, even very small, changes along with the physical?

And a good start for health in general is to take the Holistic Health for Pets 101 class. It also covers how to find a holistic vet to be on your health care team.

These extra facts will help the community respond to your concerns.

Dr. Christina

JanelleG

Registered
Thank you, Dr. Christina. I have provided responses to your questions below:

1. Do you have at least 3 litter boxes? Is one of them in a place where Halo tends not to go?
- I only had one litter box, and both cats were using it with no issue. However, when this issue started, I picked up a second litter box, to see if that would help, but it hasn't. Olivia will use the litter box sometimes, and sometimes not. It's very difficult to pinpoint a pattern, because it is not consistent. I'm also not sure if there is a way to separate the litterboxes so that Halo doesn't use Olivia's box.

2. Make a timeline of when the behavior first began (even if it was once, then weeks or months later began repeating). Think about what could have triggered it. If Halo - it would likely be only when she was in heat.
- Now that you mention it, it seemed to me that it started after I gave her some canned tuna. I think the day after I gave her that she started periodically going to the bathroom out of the litter box.

3. Did you change cat litter at any point? Where does she go when not in the box?
-I have not changed cat litter. She will usually urinate on the rug in the living room. I had to throw the rug out, so now she just urinates and defecates on the living room floor (usually in the same place). However, she did defecate in my room this morning-- I'm not sure if that means she is upset with me?

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
this can be so frustrating. Sort of like potty training a child who was perfect, then slipped.

3. Rarely do they do this because they are mad at you. maybe, for a little bit, keep a litter box in the living room and maybe in bedroom, or keep that door closed for now.
1. Do 3 boxes, for sure

2. I doubt the Tuna did this.

It may be a good time to get a urinalysis - you can get glass crystals for the litter box to collect at home. Or need an appointment. Have you created a holistic health care team yet? To help you find a vet part of your team, check out this article

Adding an intuitive to your health care team can often help with behavioral issues.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom