• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat boarding at friend's house

PamR

Community Member
Registered
Couldn't think of the right folder heading for this...

The question is about bringing my cat to stay at a friend's house while I take a short trip. I'm in desperate need for a getaway and my overnight petsitter is busy.

A friend has offered to take care of my 12 yr old cat (who hates getting into the car). He has a separate cottage where he hosts the cats of his family and friends when they travel. He uses the cottage to prepare and eat his meals so he's there part of the time but not overnight. I checked the place out and it doesn't smell of cats, though I'm sure my cat would pick up the scent. My friend is an experienced cat owner and has one in his main house.

Any recommendations on how to make my cat not feel like I've abandoned her? I'll bring her beds and blankets and a blanket of mine. She'll have all her regular food and treats, and I'll bring her own litter pan. Anything else I can do?

The alternative is to have a petsitter come over just to feed her twice a day. Then she wouldn't have to leave home but she's be alone most of the time.

It's always a dilemma for me, not having a friend or family member who can live here and cat sit. Thus, I never go anywhere!

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Pam-

Being able to get away is essential, and Morticia will do just fine in your absence.

Any recommendations on how to make my cat not feel like I've abandoned her?

Sounds like a great question for flower essence and cat expert @Dr. Jean Hofve!

My two cents is that it is very useful to talk. to Morticia about this and to let he know that you are not abandoning her.

There are many specific flower essences that can help but I usually recommend a general one that can help keep her balanced and "flowing" evenly:

There are also many other things you can do like to bring her favorite toys and use a web-based device (if the cottage has wifi) that would allow you to talk to see and interact with her via your phone:

PamR

Community Member
Registered
Hi Pam-

Being able to get away is essential, and Morticia will do just fine in your absence.

Sounds like a great question for flower essence and cat expert @Dr. Jean Hofve!

My two cents is that it is very useful to talk. to Morticia about this and to let he know that you are not abandoning her.

There are many specific flower essences that can help but I usually recommend a general one that can help keep her balanced and "flowing" evenly:

There are also many other things you can do like to bring her favorite toys and use a web-based device (if the cottage has wifi) that would allow you to talk to see and interact with her via your phone:

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW!

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Oh this is always a tough one!

In general, I have found that cats prefer routine, and being very territorial, they prefer their own space. For a week or so, someone to feed and spend a little time with her twice a day might be enough.

OTOH, your friend's situation sounds great, and her things you plan to bring are perfect!

I would certainly consider talking to an animal communicator who can convey to her what is going on, and maybe even get a sense of what the cat would want. I use my dear friend Kate, at www.katesolisti.com, but I know that there are others that have been recommended here.

As far as flower essences, which of course I would highly recommend, Jackson Galaxy's Easy Traveler is perfect, or if you're short on time, any health food store will have Rescue Remedy and Wild Rose, and probably Walnut and Water Violet as well. I have a whole article and guide to which essences and how to use them here: Do-It -Yourself Bach Flower Essences | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve There are even formulas for making your own combos.

I have gone both ways with my cats. Just recently I faced trying to be in two places at once for a week. I'd be home for a few hours a day, but stayed with a friend's neurotic dogs overnight. It felt like Perry was more stressed about being alone than I thought he'd be (which Kate confirmed). He's about 10 or 11 years old. I go camping for 2 weeks in June, so I'm really torn about what to do. I have great neighbors who will help, but is that enough? There's a great cat vet who boards in Boulder, it's a long drive and Perry is no more fond of the car than your cat! But maybe that would be better? Oh gosh, I feel your pain!!

If you keep her home with a sitter, I would still recommend flower essences (the 4 I mentioned above are a good combo) in her water starting a week before you go, and continuing a couple days after you get home, to help her adjust to the new sitter. (By the time she figures it out, you'll probably be home already!)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom