• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Canine Estrus Symptoms

LauraL

Community Member
Registered
My 7 years old female working cocker spaniel is in estrus season now. She had an ovarian spayed at 3 years old. The vet only kept 1 ovary ( right side). She shows discomfort in her lower back and psoas ( mild pain). Supersensitive and dislike to be touched. Extremely hungry and emotionally more fearful. Any suggestions on how to ease some of these symptoms when she is in heat?

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Laura,
As always, the best thing is to prescribe on the totality of the case.
There are certain homeopathic medicines with an affinity for estrus problems, like Pulsatilla, Sepia, Lachesis, and Lilium-tig, so you might read through the materia medica of those medicines and see if any suits your girl.
If no homeopathic medicine seems to fit, herbal medicines, either Western or Chinese, can be chosen for her signs. I would suggest you work with either a homeopath or herbal vet to find the best options for your girl.
Regards,
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Laura!

Thanks for posting about your pup.

As Dr. Sara wisely pointed out, all of your pup's symptoms would be most effectively helped by working with a vet.

Ideally (IMHO) you would work with a vet who can address her energetic imbalance in addition to supporting her healing holistically.

Drs. Judy, Adriana or Levy would be great for doing that:

LauraL

Community Member
Registered
Dear Laura,
As always, the best thing is to prescribe on the totality of the case.
There are certain homeopathic medicines with an affinity for estrus problems, like Pulsatilla, Sepia, Lachesis, and Lilium-tig, so you might read through the materia medica of those medicines and see if any suits your girl.
If no homeopathic medicine seems to fit, herbal medicines, either Western or Chinese, can be chosen for her signs. I would suggest you work with either a homeopath or herbal vet to find the best options for your girl.
Regards,
Dr. Sara
Thank you Dr. Sara! I will look up the remedies. Would 200CC, 1 pallet per day for 3 days be a suitable dosage to start? I stop the pallets if she shows signs of fatigue during the 3 days and observes for a couple of weeks.

Laura

LauraL

Community Member
Registered
Hey Laura!

Thanks for posting about your pup.

As Dr. Sara wisely pointed out, all of your pup's symptoms would be most effectively helped by working with a vet.

Ideally (IMHO) you would work with a vet who can address her energetic imbalance in addition to supporting her healing holistically.

Drs. Judy, Adriana or Levy would be great for doing that:

Thanks Dr. Jeff!
Finally getting into the Forum's swing! I need to post more often and utilize this amazing tool! I will definitely look into this and address her imbalance.
Laura

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Thank you Dr. Sara! I will look up the remedies. Would 200CC, 1 pallet per day for 3 days be a suitable dosage to start? I stop the pallets if she shows signs of fatigue during the 3 days and observes for a couple of weeks.

Laura
Dear Laura,
I would not use 200 C potencies for a deep seated problem unless you are working with a homeopath. A 200 C potency is valuable for acute care where you are certain of the need for a particular medicine. For example, it would be a good choice to give 200 C Aconite for a robust patient that was in shock.

In this instance, the medicines that I suggested might be useful, and could be appropriate for the totality of your girl's situation. However, I was suggesting them as a symptomatic or local treatment. To use homeopathic medicines locally we match them with the symptoms of the disease, and use them in lower potencies, such as 6X to 30X, or 6C up to maximum potency of 30 C. I would put the pellets in water and give her a dose twice daily for up to three to five treatments, stopping if you see any negative effects. If she improves quickly, stop, as we never give homeopathic medicines if they are not needed. Watch her BEAM (behaviour, energy, appetite, mood) throughout.

Ideally, it would be best to consult with an holistic practitioner for treatment, but I know how difficult it can be to get appointments. This treatment method should not adversely affect any treatment that another practitioner wants to do, and should be safe for your girl.
I hope this helps!
Sara

LauraL

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Sara,
I have followed your recommendations and she is back to her normal BEAM.
We are drawing whole blood + serum tomorrow to send off to Dr. Jean Dodds for their annual blood test - Complete Thyroid Panel with CBC. I am also planning to take additional serum to send to the VDI lab to test their CRP, VtD, B12, Folate, and Mg levels. My question is do they need to fast more than 8 hrs before the blood draw to test for VtD?
Laura

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
An 8-10 hour fast should be sufficient for all of those tests.
It is always a good idea to ask the lab what they want, as requirements vary.
Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom