• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cancer Diagnosis in a Golden Despite Doing Everything Right

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I was inspired to write this post a few weeks ago after I learned about a malignant cancer tentative diagnosis in a middle-age (IMO) male, intact and incredible Golden who was a patient.

He is also the father of many other great pups and is in vigorous good health otherwise.

His wonderful NR (natural rearing) breeder asked a very important question which I will answer here because it might be helpful.

However, first a warning. This information is from my opinion and is not "standard of veterinary care". What I write below is NOT the current understanding of cancer in dogs.

The question was "why" did this happen to a raw fed, unvaccinated dog who had minimal exposure to environmental toxins?

IMO,the answer has 2 pieces. One is easily controlled and the other can be modified but not directly controlled.

Those two things are early age vaccination and genetics and they also determine whether a pet eventually develops cancer.

The genetic association with cancer is well understood. However all of the epi-genetic factors that determine if genes get turned on or off remain to be fully elucidated.

The ones we know are the healthy lifestyle like varied fresh food feeding, exercise, engagement, avoiding toxins, etc. However, it is also my personal belief, as taught by Dr. Hahnemann and homeopathic medicine, that whether we work with the body or against it also has major epi-genetic effects.

He wanted us to embrace symptoms as friends and proved how effective this approach was by saving thousands of lives.

He didn't know about genetics or infectious agents like viruses, but his keen empirical observations and incisive mind let him form a whole system of medicine based on combatting sickness using an understanding of genetic, infectious, and toxic influences.

However, even considering none of his incredible system, there is strong scientific evidence that working with existing mechanisms of the body conserves cellular energy and lets cells do their jobs.

This is because the process of translation, which is making new proteins, is the most energy consuming process in the body.

Anyway, this was a long-winded and confusing way of saying that coming down with cancer, and most dis-eases (imbalances), starts at birth with genetics.

Unfortunately, some breeds like Goldens, are genetically predisposed to a number of dis-eases and cancers.

The other factor that helps determine whether a serious dis-ease develops despite doing everything right, is early age vaccinations.

By early age, I mean 12 weeks.
Pups or kittens who live in an area where there is an outbreak locally of parvo or distemper may need a vaccine by 8 weeks of age.

Ideally puppies and kittens would not receive any toxic insults at all.

I'm not going to discuss vaccines here, and strongly advise anyone interested to read the reference list of the vaccinosis ebook.

This brings me back to the Golden who had never had any vaccines, but had cancer. The same applies for any purebreed animal where everything possible was done to avoid (adult) vaccines, and maintain health.

That's it for now. The two factors that determine if a pet who had "everything right" done develops a serious dis-ease are.

1. Genetics

2. Early age vaccination

I look forward to discussing this over the next few weeks.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I agree with Dr. Jeff and would expand the list.
#3. There are triggers for any kind of ill health, including cancer, that we just do not know.

For decades we just thought certain breeds were susceptible to hypothyroidism (scientific studies showed that). Then one vet (Dr. Dobias) began to observe some dogs who changed from collar to harness walking no longer needed medication. He realized that the thyroid gland was right under the collar! Do any dogs using harnesses still get hypothyroid? Yes. Because there is another trigger we do not recognize.

There is no "right". Yes, there are things that Dr. Jeff listed that make common sense. As you read and learn and hear from others in the HA! community, others will make sense to you. Our pets want us to have fun and not worry too much, and definitely not feel guilty for anything we did that now seems "wrong".

We certainly observe that the challenge to "do everything right" can also cause illness. I have had clients who were so desperate to make the right decisions that they had little time to play with their companions and just relax in life.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Excellent point, thanks for adding #3!

HannahS

All-Access Member
Registered
We certainly observe that the challenge to "do everything right" can also cause illness. I have had clients who were so desperate to make the right decisions that they had little time to play with their companions and just relax in life.

Dr. Christina
Thank you for this reminder to play with my cats and enjoy their company as much as possible while I can, this is helpful as I just received news that one cat has a large tumour in her abdomen and I'm keen to 'do everything right' however I don't want to become obsessive. My cat is wanting lots of cuddles and that's something easy and lovely I can do :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, Hannah. Love, cuddles and happy purring are keys to helping to activate healing mechanisms.

Here's what one fantastic holistic vet has to say about vitality, balance and love:

I look forward to our chat in a few days.

BTW-Have you consulted yet with Dr. Liza who is also in NZ:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom