• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Brown discharge (no foul smell) 2 weeks post Estrus

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Hi @Dr. Sara - Hope”a estrus cycle ended in mid-May and I posted about brown little specks of discharge in urine (link here
Post in thread 'Excessive licking after heat cycle'
Excessive licking after heat cycle) I did not find any more discharge after that day.

Her BEAM has been consistent except for being a little picky with food and she has had soft stool.

This morning I found a little piece of brown discharge in her urine. it’s larger than the ones I found last time. I smashed it to see if there’s anything else in it. Nothing. And no foul smell. Please see photo.

is this normal?

34EA3E0C-CE31-4473-8356-8E9F1E30A395.jpeg

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Not a vet ....but, yes, I wouldn't worry about this, as long as there is no frank blood. Looks like clots of old lining, to me. I have seen similar in my girl on occasion, and it clears up.

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Christine,
This does look like an old clot or debris. Each girl's physical configuration is a bit different in her vaginal / vulvar area. Usually all debris is flushed out within days of the end of the cycle. However, if a girl has a small vulva, or a tipped vagina, debris can get stuck, as the vagina in a bitch is quite long.

I know that what you are probably concerned about is pyometra, or infection of the uterus, which typically occurs 2 to 8 weeks after estrus. If the discharge continues, increases in amount, or is associated with a foul smell, or most importantly, if Hope seems unwell (depression, loss of appetite or energy = bad BEAM) she should be examined as soon as possible. Hopefully this is just a wee blip in her tract completing cleaning itself out.
Stay well,
Dr. Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom