• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Bone Broth & potential histamine aggravation

Cyd

All-Access Member
Registered
I wanted to provide more complete details concerning the info that I passed along during the 3/15/21 Empower Hour. Dr. Ruth Roberts made this comment during her presentation about SIBO, which was part of the the 4th Animal Wellness Summit. Her comment caught my attention because it was the first time I'd EVER heard anything cautionary about bone broth, in my mind it was an amazing immune, general constitution, digestive-tract booster, something that I'd been remiss about offering my dogs. For me, a big part of the delay involves getting organized time & $$$ wise to find & buy ORGANIC bones & figure out the best non-toxic method to store the prepared broth. In my opinion, any substance where the vital healing component is extracted & concentrated must absolutely be super-clean & not contaminated, especially the case with bones where any toxins will be extracted out of the marrow & bone minerals. My intention was to give bone broth to support healing severe respiratory/allergic rhinitis/sinusitis, after hearing Dr. Roberts comment & me figuring that my dog need ANTI-histamines & feeling that she had undetermined systemic inflammation & was detoxing food, chemical, conventional drug/vaccine, physical injury & emotion-wise, I decided to take the histamine triggering possibility of bone broth into consideration & wait. I first heard about bone broth as a cure-all for healing a tattered human intestinal tract, in my mind, it is possible dogs could be more sensitive to the rich, concentrated nutrition because of the shorter digestive tract & the overall differences in how they breakdown food compared to humans. For me this was a big "it depends" scenario, I knew I wanted to facilitate the massive amounts of nasal mucous to discharge & avoid at all costs doing anything to increase the amount of nasal congestion which makes breathing so difficult. When I start offering bone broth I plan to offer a very small amount, dilute it & watch for any reactions. I start offering anything new by mouth in this (I try to remember) manner, giving 1/8, 1/16, 1 x / day, typically avoiding night time to introduce
something new to avoid surprise bowel reactions in the middle of the night, I've learned the hard way, being too generous too soon can trigger a reaction. I thought I'd share Dr. Robert's observation, she also mentioned avoiding strawberries when treating SIBO for the same histamine elevating reason, I do my best to file these obscure tidbits in my mind so that I can investigate further & take anecdotal observations into consideration when figuring out a healing plan.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing this great info Cyd.

As you wrote, it depends on the context whether bone broth is a good idea to use.

Anything that the body sees as an allergen is going to trigger a normal histamine release (which is part of the healing process).

In addition, certain foods have a higher histamine levels like fermented foods, fish, and yes bone broth. However, it's *usually* still a good idea to use it for inflammatory conditions.

Below is an article about bone broth and histamine. I've also reached out to a human doc friend, who is a big bone broth advocate, to see what he says.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom