• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Blossom big change in BEAM and can't identify what specifically

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I am combining some of the posts made individually because since getting Blossom last friday where she had a lot of physical energy running me down the street. She had been eating shelter kibble. Is that better than a better quality dry food, raw food and fresh food? I am beginning to wonder. About 2 days ago I started to feed her some raw frozen chicken Primal food topped with ground turkey cooked up. I also been giving ProSymbiotic colostrum 2 caps twice a day (is this too much) Also milk thistle Jarrow 150 mg twice a day. She was vaxed with that final Da2LLP shot on Sept 30th second shot. Soon as I started feeding the raw food (she was not eating the dry anymore) topped with real meat she started to do some regurg/vomiting(not full out vomiting) after the meal. Now I walked her up the street and she walked slower than my 15 year olds did (SHE is only 4 with bounding energy until yesterday and today is even worse). She still has the gaggy cough but not noticed as much , noticed mostly when she gets up in the morning(Maybe I should be giving her the antibiotics but she seems a bit better) I seemed to hear her breathing during the walk today also. I have no idea what is wrong. She reverse sneezes sometimes too. I had a dog in 2009 and gave her Thuja after her vaxes and it went away. But I am giving this dog nothing other than Jackson Galaxy rehoming remedy and the rescue remedy. I have no idea what to feed her, the pet store said maybe gently cooked.
I cannot get her in the car to go anywhere and not sure she needs a vet anyway but I don't know if it is the CIRDC or the food that is causing low energy and the more noticeable breathing only on the walking (not real bad but seems different than when she was racing along a few days ago). I should mention she was getting braunschweiger with her Trazadone and colostrum and milk thistle pill and some deli meat. She also had the treats in the snuffle mat when I was gone--maybe too much. I don't know what I am doing wrong but it is something.

HA! Support

Administrator
All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Lil.

I'm sorry to hear that Blossom is feeling a bit less than herself right now. I am NOT a vet but I am a pet mom to two dogs now and eight before them. I'm sure @Dr. Christina and/or @Dr. Jeff will chime in when they can, but in the meantime, it may just be a bit of internal upset because of the drastic change in diet. Shelter dogs often eat whatever kibble is donated and it's not always a high quality. You have treated Blossom to the upgraded diet she deserves but perhaps it was a bit for her like it us for us when we eat something fancier and richer than we're used to.

Until you hear from one of our experts here, I would suggest a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice so that Blossom can concentrate on her new home and mom. She may be having a bit of an energy "crash" too, albeit a good one, now that the stress of the shelter and the uncertainty of her future has been eliminated.

Just some food for thought :)

(((Hugs))) to you both!

Kim
Holistic Actions! Support

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I second Kim, Lil. Often there is a period of adjustment to a new that is physical along with previously discussed behavioral. One survival strategy is to hide all your symptoms. Now she feels safe enough to allow them to surface.

You know enough to be patient, record the symptoms, and maybe try a few more things. You are doing nothing wrong, except maybe impatience with yourself.

I am probably speaking to an expert here but..Reiki, Bengston, the flower essence Vaccine Detox, maybe one or two doses of Arnica for the mental and physical toll of the prior life. Or start with a dose or two of aconite since it is good for the fears and for respiratory issues.

I do not sense a need for immediate veterinary care, though you may want to find a mobil vet in case the need arises. Who else is on your health care team? Have you started the Healthy Dog Journal for her?

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes (to what Kim and Dr.Christina said)!

Did all of your questions get answered when we spoke today Lil?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Hi Lil.

I'm sorry to hear that Blossom is feeling a bit less than herself right now. I am NOT a vet but I am a pet mom to two dogs now and eight before them. I'm sure @Dr. Christina and/or @Dr. Jeff will chime in when they can, but in the meantime, it may just be a bit of internal upset because of the drastic change in diet. Shelter dogs often eat whatever kibble is donated and it's not always a high quality. You have treated Blossom to the upgraded diet she deserves but perhaps it was a bit for her like it us for us when we eat something fancier and richer than we're used to.

Until you hear from one of our experts here, I would suggest a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice so that Blossom can concentrate on her new home and mom. She may be having a bit of an energy "crash" too, albeit a good one, now that the stress of the shelter and the uncertainty of her future has been eliminated.

Just some food for thought :)

(((Hugs))) to you both!

Kim
Holistic Actions! Support
Thank you Kim..... Blossom did have a better day yesterday...all her zoomies back and no vomit. I cut out the raw Primal and turkey and fed her some cooked bison, squash, veggies. I will get some rice today and try that . Her cough is better too, so I am sure the diet and a few supplements helped, No Antibiotics YAY--was hoping she would get better on her own.. She was terribly stressed in the shelter and her internals have to recover even though she "looks and acts" better. Thank you for the support and suggestions. Mothers of dogs have a ton of credibility!! and intuition and insight...so I am going to try the cooked ground turkey again and forget about the Primal raw for a while. But I always have concerns if the diet I make is balanced. I did find out this morning she likes squeaky toys. Pulled out an old one from a past dog. The "snake" is her new best friend, carrying it around. It is cute actually.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Do not worry about balanced diet for a few weeks. How often do you think dogs in the wild ate a balance diet every day?

Balance is actually an unknown, so do relax on that worry.

In the long run (months) we know there are a few things that do help balance, and we have examples of dogs thriving even on what we may consider unbalanced.

Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yes (to what Kim and Dr.Christina said)!

Did all of your questions get answered when we spoke today Lil?
Yes, Dr. Jeff... but anyone who knows me knows I always have more questions :))))... Thank you so much... I think I totally put out of my mind things I know about dogs after the others died. Have trouble resetting my sails, did not expect to get another dog.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom