• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Blood in rectum of my cat

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Today for the first time, I observed some blood in my cat Boochu's rectum after he used the litter box. I attempted to collect a sample of his stool immediately afterward, although I'm not completely certain it's from him. However, I lean towards this possibility because the blood was fresh and the stool appeared softer compared to the rest in the litter box. Upon inspection, I couldn't visually detect any blood on the stool itself.

Could this be indicative of a hemorrhoid? I gently wiped his anus with tissue, and the blood seemed fresh and bright in color. Interestingly, Boochu was eager to go outside earlier in the morning, but now he's resting comfortably on the couch. I expected him to show interest in going out again.

I'm curious about the potential reasons for this issue. Is it possible that the antibiotic
he was recently on is causing gastrointestinal problems? (He was on amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium for six days for a bite wound on his base of his tail). He just ended taking the antibiotic 3 days ago. Would the blood typically appear fresh in such cases?

He eats Darwin’s food and some canned food. He did eat some salt free tuna during the time he was taking antibiotic because I was wanting to camouflage the antibiotic in the tuna. Yesterday I gave him an organic piece of Raw chicken thigh from Whole Foods (no bones).

What should I look out for? Should I be alarmed and have to take him to the dr. Asap?

Thank you for your guidance.

@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve

IMG_4989.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4987.mov
    5.1 MB
  • IMG_4988.mov
    3.2 MB

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
A small amount of blood on or around the stool is usually not a concern for cats.

However, watch for swelling around the anus, where the anal glands are (about 4pm and 7pm on a clockface). They can form abscesses all by themselves.

It also *could* be that there is a little draining tract from the abscess, if so hot compresses are the best way to draw it out.

The antibiotic probably wouldn't "cause" this, but it's important to rebuild his gut bacteria with pre- and probiotics for several weeks post-antibiotics. Studies show it actually takes about a *year* for cats' microbiome to normalize after antibiotics (without help from probiotics).

It is possible that a small fragment of bones from the food has made a little puncture somewhere in the colon, but this is extremely unlikely. I have concerns about Darwin's for this and other reasons. Salmonella can cause bloody diarrhea, and because he is a little on the quieter side, that one rises higher on the list of possible reasons. [Little Big Cat News Alert!] It's best to rotate different foods and not just get stuck on one.

But as I said, most of the time it isn't a worry for kitties. So put the panic button back on the shelf! ;)

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Jean Hofve I didnt see it blood in the stool but on the anus. I will look out for the glands to make certain they aren’t swollen. I will try to put warm compresses, do you mean on his rectum? The wound was under his tail at the root.

Do you have a probiotic recommendation please?

Pardon, im not clear on what you meant here:

Salmonella can cause bloody diarrhea, and because he is a little on the quieter side, that one rises higher on the list of possible reasons.’

Happy to have your reassurance to take the finger off the panic button.

Thank you!!! 🙏🏼

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Yep, compress right where the abscess was/is... certainly could be a little leakage from that esp. since no sign of blood in/on stool.

I'll try to clarify... you said he had been quieter than usual. Salmonella can cause gut issues and bloody diarrhea (just thinking ahead if that develops) so it would be on the list of rule-outs because he may not be feeling well--Salmonella will certainly do that too.It's very unlikely, but it's on the list just in case things go south.

Maybe put the panic button back in the closet so you are not tempted?!! 😁

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Anna, another thing to remember is that a tiny amount of blood can look like a lot. Anal glands, irritation of the gut, and more can cause a bit of blood,

Good for you to not be super worried, but rather curious.

As long as the BEAM is good, you can watch and observe (not just the rear, but the Whole cat).

Salmonella is pretty rare, as I never saw it in my practice.

He may still be healing from the disruption to the microbiome from the antibiotics, the stress of the abscess, and maybe your worry about all that. Do you have a holistic vet whom you could have called about the abscess? Herbs, homeopathy, chinese medicine, ayurvedic could have probably avoided the antibiotics. If not, do read the article on selecting one.

Definitely keep increasing the variety of what you feed him as well.

It may be useful to you, as well, to start tracking the symptoms in the Healthy Cat Journal.

Dr. Christina

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Christina and @Dr. Jean Hofve

Thank you for your responses. I haven’t seen any more blood. He went out yesterday for the first time so I haven’t see him poop. He has been in the house all day (his choice) and on the couch. Not much energy but great appetite. Will continue monitoring.

Do you have any suggestions for a good probiotic?

I was working with Dr. Judy Herman to help Boochu with homeopathy but it didn’t help and when things took a turn for what seemed to be getting worse we ended up in the ER and sent home with antibiotic.

I am currently looking for a holistic vet in Chicago. Dr. Barbara Royalle is extremely expensive. Will keep looking

I started to journal but will definitely use the journal you recommended @Dr. Christina. However, the link isn’t working so I will have to find it.

Thank you!

Anna

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
to help you find a vet in Chicago (and there are several great ones), go the article on the HA site on finding a vet.

Here is the cat journal link to try again.

If either of these links do not work - do a search for them in the main room of the site (not the forum).

There are many great probiotics. I like Mitomax. Also there are many fermented broths (green juju is one) and milks. You can freeze them in small portions to thaw as needed.

Dr Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom