• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Bacteria and WBC in urinary sample but no symptoms noticed

LilF

Community Member
Registered
JJ had a urinalysis today. To summarize he is about 15 1/2 or older and has had high Urine Protein Creatinine levels for a couple years. After his last sample in January I put him on Azodyl and in March we started homeopathy. Today his UPCR was a 0.5 which is way down from January when it was 1.2 and last July was 1.1. He had a trace of protein in the sample and PH was 5.5. Specific Gravity was 1.019 He was found to have a "Marked Cocci bacteria level >40HPF WBC was 2-5 I used a sterile container and can't see how it would have so much bacteria unless the vet tech contaminated it processing it.
I do not see symptoms of urinary accidents. Matter of fact, he has had night time incontinence for about a year but the last 10 days or so his bed has been dry. He went on Pulsatilla 6C about a month ago and has been on Naja tripudians LM/1 /Cactus grandifloras LM/1 Combo for his kidney since March. Although I am happy about the lower UPCR. What is with the high bacteria and WBC? I might add his cognitive symptoms were pretty bad today. I gave him a phosphatidylserine about noon and that was the only change. Usually he is slow cognitively in the mornings till about noon but today it seemed to be all day and he did not eat his dinner other than Answers Goat milk. He usually reads cues when the meal is ready and today he just seemed more dazed. He did have an accident of pooping in the car today. Not sure if he just had to go (I was inside the vets office for 10 minutes) or if it was an accident. His cognitive issues seem to be getting worse but he would snap out of it around noon but not today. Any connection to the high bacteria count in his urine to any of this? Thanks for any thoughts on this. I will retest but don't want to put him on antibiotics if it is truly high without symptoms or other explanation

LilF

Community Member
Registered
update this morning....JJ's respiration (number of times I see his belly rise in a minute) seems about 60 but does not seem to be struggling to breathe. I do not know if I should contact the homeopaths immediately or the regular vet. I did not want to take him to the hospital and put him through hours of that. I am unable to get another urine sample now as he is not getting up like usual. Over the past few days very occasionally I would hear him loud cough once or twice like he was trying to vomit or clearing his throat. I heard it once this morning. I don't even know what vet to contact as there are so many. Is this from his pulsatilla that was added in the past month? He still does not have a wet bed this morning. Should I let the vet give him an antibiotic shot in case the urine sample does have bacteria and in the event he has an asymptomatic infection in the urinary pipes of bladder, urethra, kidneys?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Today his UPCR was a 0.5 which is way down from January when it was 1.2 and last July was 1.1.
Wow, this is fantastic Lil! :snowman: ❤️ Especially in the face of bacteria in the urine (which usually increase UPC artificially)!

Although I am happy about the lower UPCR. What is with the high bacteria and WBC?
Great and super important question! Conventionally, depending on the culture results, this is considered to be a bacterial infection. Holistically though, this can be a sign of the curative (healing) process.

He did have an accident of pooping in the car today. Not sure if he just had to go (I was inside the vets office for 10 minutes) or if it was an accident. His cognitive issues seem to be getting worse but he would snap out of it around noon but not today. Any connection to the high bacteria count in his urine to any of this?
In people, yes there is a link between UTI and confusion/cognitive issues. I'm not aware of this correlation in dogs though.
respiration (number of times I see his belly rise in a minute) seems about 60 but does not seem to be struggling to breathe. I do not know if I should contact the homeopaths
Yes, you may want to contact your homeopath this am about JJ's decreased BEAM, increased respiratory rate and urinary bacteria/WBCs.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Wow, this is fantastic Lil! :snowman: ❤️ Especially in the face of bacteria in the urine (which usually increase UPC artificially)!

Great and super important question! Conventionally, depending on the culture results, this is considered to be a bacterial infection. Holistically though, this can be a sign of the curative (healing) process.

In people, yes there is a link between UTI and confusion/cognitive issues. I'm not aware of this correlation in dogs though.

Yes, you may want to contact your homeopath this am about JJ's decreased BEAM, increased respiratory rate and urinary bacteria/WBCs.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thanks Dr. Jeff.... I do have my feelers out in a variety of places. I do hate to take him to the hospital as it would be so stressful but he did seem to cough when he got up again and moved to another bed. We do know he has irregular heartbeat. When we were at the park sunday, a very stinky old car drove in and I just knew it wasn't good for JJ OR me. Then on monday he became very spacey all day so wonder if it killed some brain cells or affected his heart. I hate smelly cars and motorcycles this time of year. I had no way to shield JJ from this awful toxic smell.

Did they already do a "culture" if they said the bacteria was cocci? or do I have to specifically ask for them to do one. The vet should call me back soon so I can ask.

It would be nice if this were a healing response... He has not gone outside yet and the bed is still dry here at 10AM. He usually goes out at 7:30 AM

I just panic and short term don't know how to get him up... UGH, i hear him doing that coughing again.lll

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Did they already do a "culture" if they said the bacteria was cocci?
The culture/sensitivity is a different test than the urinalysis. They may still be able to add one on from the same urine sample if they did not already do one.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom