• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Aromatherapy for People and Pets

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
While doing research on essential oils, I came across this lovely review article:

Here's an excerpt from the article:

For over 5,000 years, aromatherapy has been a trusted practice among cultures spanning the globe. Natural healers turn to aromatherapy for the many antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects of aromatic essential oils. So what is aromatherapy used for? Some of the most common reasons that people use it, according to research done by the PDQ Integrative, Alternative, and Complementary Therapies Board, include managing pain, improving sleep quality, reducing stress, overcoming symptoms of depression, soothing sore joints and even battling the effects of cancer. (1)

Today, you’re likely to find over 40 different therapeutic-grade aromatherapy oils available in health food stores and online (although many more than this exist). Some popular aromatic oils you might recognize include tea tree, lavender and peppermint oil, used in everything from toothpaste to laundry detergent

In another thread, the question was raised whether essential oils, which are used for aromatherapy, are safe for use in cats.

My experience is that it depends on 2 factors.

1. the individual pet
2. the "dose" of the aromatic oil

My observations are that low to mild doses of aromatherapy oils are usually safe for most asthmatic cats but @Dr.Melissa has vastly more experience.

Let's see what she says on Monday's (3/2/20) webinar.

JoannC

VIP Member
Registered
DR Jeff and Dr Christina, Dr Shelton, the water diffuser on EO animals link to supplier site, is no longer being sold due to some of the parts coming from China. That is what they told me. They no longer are going to sell any water diffusers.?

I would like to buy a good water diffuser do you know of one made in the USA? Also after last weeks EH, m still confused as to what would be good for flea control when I take Teddy outside for about 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a day, with his condition? Any suggestions, or can Dr Shelton comment on our forum for kitties with seizure issues unknown etiology. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
@Dr.Melissa may reply here or answer you during the 3/9 Empower Hour! (she will be joining us again to answer EO questions).

JoannC

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you. Actually I got through and talked to a wonderful staff member, and will be working with Dr Judy on EO for Teddy.

Looking forward to this EH for answer and questions.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom