• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Anal lesion in senior cat

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello! My Cat Oliver, 15 year old male, neutered tuxedo (about 10 lbs) with noticeably decreased BEAM since yesterday - more sleepy and eating noticeably less. Before that he had been eating consistently well and his diet has been : 1) home cooked beef, chicken or fish mixed with 2) smartzyme and 3) Weruva cat food mixed with 4) archetype raw chicken, rabbit or quail. End of April my home vet prescribed gabapentin to sedate Ollie through our move and 8 hour drive to Maine (Gave 2 doses 7 hours. apart on 4/29). She examined him at that time (no blood work though) and thought he was doing well. (Previous exam 9/2020 with blood work showed everything was good). He seemed to do well during the move with high BEAM in our new home (after a few days of hiding under the bed covers). When Ollie was lying on my lap and purring today I was shocked to discover what appears to be a lesion under his anus. At first glance, it looked like he has 2 anuses then I realized it’s a severe lesion of some kind under his anus. Last week, I noticed he was retching a few times and vomited what seemed like a lot of mucus with a hairball. My daughters and one of their boyfriends were visiting from 6/11-6/16 which may have stressed him out. He seemed lethargic and eating slightly less on 6/19 so I dosed him once with his homeopathic remedy (by Dr. Jeff) Phos. Q2 (10 wacks- 1 drop). A few hours later he vomited then seemed to improve slightly but still eating less (and pooping less) than usual. This morning his BEAM seemed better and he had eaten a little more - about half his food - during the night (normally he cleans the plate) but by noon his BEAM was noticeably low, then I discovered the lesion. Condition seems better in the morning; he likes being held and patted by me. Previous Treatment: Ollie seemingly miraculously recovered from a lymphoma dx in 2019 following Dr. Jeff’s homeopathic remedies and suggested diet and lifestyle changes plus monthly pet reiki treatments. Thank you for any suggestions for my next steps helping Ollie.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for posting Lauren. It's great to see you here!

It sounds like Ollie may need dosing. The "campfire" metaphor might be helpful.

Improving vitality and balance, and decreasing symptoms, is kinda like building a campfire. When camping, we add wood or blow on the fire whenever we want it to grow, or if it starts dying out. It's the same thing with dosing a homeopathic remedy.

If he's improving, wait and watch, and only redose if he plateaus or worsens.

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks Dr. Jeff. The campfire metaphor is super helpful! You've calmed me down a bit, too. I was frantic yesterday, thinking I needed to take Ollie to the Maine Coast Vet Hospital in Blue Hill first thing this morning (which would completely stress him out). I'll take a breath now, re dose, then wait and watch.

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Jeff, I dosed Ollie this this morning and about an hour later he ate a little food and but has been low energy and sleeping since (but moving from favorite spot to favorite spot, following where the sun is shining). He just woke up, took a sip of water, and went back to sleep on his chair. I'm posting a photo of the lesion. I'm thinking he has a ruptured anal sac. Is it still OK to just wait and see with this? Or is there risk of infection and should I find a local vet for treatment?

IMG_1611.gif

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Lauren=

Yes, a vet visit and exam is a good idea sometime soon mainly because his BEAM is down. I've never seen a systemic (or serious) infection from a sac rupture.

However, the vet visit is still worthwhile (tho it nay resolve before the appointment). :D :catfood:

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for that context - that you've never seen a systemic/serious infection. That's exactly what had me worrried. I'll schedule a vet visit and I am hopeful if will resolve beforehand. I'm still learning to trust the process! So grateful for your support !

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
Ollie's anal sac rupture healed well, but he's been eating less and sleeping more since 7/1 and there's a crunching sound when he eats - like he's chewing bones, despite dosing Phos. Q2 on 7/1 & this morning, 7/4. I took him to a Vet on 7/1 after he hadn't pooped for over a week, was having more frequent (1 x day) heaving episodes and hiding under the bed. The vet's Xray shows a pulmonary tumor (1-2 inches) and gave him fluids under the skin and an enema (He pooped in his carrier on the way home) but no blood sample since Ollie resisted too much. I scheduled with you 15 min.on 7/12 and 1hr. on 7/20. Any advice until then?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
OMG, I'm sorry Lauren to hear about Ollie's possible lung tumor.

Did the vet on 7/1 get to look at his teeth? Dental dis-ease can explain the crunching, not eating and hiding.

His symptoms (which have some physiologic internal imbalance as their "cause") may not be directly associated with the lung x-ray finding. Did he ever have an x-ray before? If so, when?

Is there any food or treat that he loves? Have you tried human chicken baby food?

If he purrs when you pet him, then pet him even more than usual. Is there a game he loves to play?

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
Dental dis-ease makes sense and no, the vet didn't look at his teeth. I don't think Ollie's had another x-ray, (just an ultrasound in 2018 which identified Lympohoma).
I'd like to have the vet send you records and the xray. What's the best email/fax for this? Ollie's been drinking water and eating small bits of human tunafish and goat cheese and tiny nips of wheat grass I'm growing. He's getting skinny though. Great ideas to pet him more (YES he purrs) and will try the baby food and games. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
I just spoke with the vet technician (vet's away until tomorrow) and it turns out the vet did check Ollie's mouth on 7/1. He found decay on one tooth on the lower left but felt it wasn't serious enough to cause significant symptoms of heaving episodes, constipation, hiding. Watching Ollie eat a little tuna this morning it looked uncoordinated like he was gumming his food with his tongue hanging out, then smacking his lips a lot. He just refused the chicken baby food : ( Also bought tuna in water (low mercury/without salt) and goat and sheep yogurt.

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
I wonder if it's worth putting Ollie through the stress to take him back to the vet tomorrow morning for blood work and another look in his mouth. They would put him under anesthesia if he won't let them take a good look - which I think is quite possible.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You may want to stabilize, and hopefully improve, his internal balance before subjecting him to any stress.

Now's an important time to help him be his best kitty self, and "go with the flow".

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
It feels like Ollie may be facing end-of-life. Not sure if you saw the x-ray sent from Blue Hill vet, but his other NY vet agreed it's a lung tumor and given Ollie's age and history, "Im not sure how much travel and intervention you want to put him through?". I dosed him again (Phos Q2) yesterday morning but he hid and slept most of the day. Around 5:30pm he appeared to have a seizure, freezing and drooling profusely with mouth wide open and alarmed-looking eyes. He's only eating small amounts of tuna and goat yogurt when I bring it to him. He's only peed (no poop since the enema on 7/1) and the Blue Hill vet wonders if he'd feel better with another enema and suggests Prednisone. I dont' want to further stress him and I'm wondering about best comfort options for Ollie around possible constipation and pain.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so sorry that Ollie is not doing well Lauren

It's a great time to use the powers of intentional healing through petting and purring.

Can you still get to him to be purr and be at all happy?

I'd also recommend that you connect with @Gail Pope about hospice and the best comfort care possible.

When did he last pass a stool? Is he straining to defecate?

Yes, if he is very constipated, an enema could make him feel better. However I agree about keeping stress to a minimum.

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for this post Dr. Jeff! I'll reach out to Gail Pope. I emailed you this following question, as well. I was only able to find 30c Arsenicum Album. I understand how to mix the solution and give the dose but what are the specifics of when and how many times to dose compared with the 6c? Before bed tonight is good? Then I wait 24 hours for to dose again if it's the 30c? Or dose once or twice a day tomorrow - and the following day?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm glad to hear that you'll connect with Gail today (if you haven't already done so).

How is Ollie today after the 1dose of Ars 30?

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
I emailed you early this morning. Early this morning Ollie was alert & purring louder than yesterday; used his liter box (pee only). Initially he refused water and food on my finger. Later he walked to his water bowl and drank then sat looking out the window, before lying back down. At 8am he walked over to me and ate a tablespoon of "Tiki Cat Stix" (Chicken in gravy) off my fingers. 10 am he's lying down, no purring and seems worse.

Let me know when I should dose the 30c again. He’s having a distance reiki healing at 2pm today. Also, I had scheduled a mobile vet to visit today at noon. I cancelled to maintain his calm. Do you think the vet would be helpful today?? Maybe for an enema? Ollie strained using the litter box yesterday and passed only a tiny amount of poop. Maybe reiki is good enough for that? Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, great response Lauren!

About when did you give the Ars 30 and what did you see for the hours afterward?

How'd he sleep last night?

It would be nice for Ollie to see the vet if it's not super stressful. Perhaps reschedule an exam for sometime after the Reiki in the next few days.

BTW-A Reiki (or any healing energy session) twice a day would be great at this point. You can do this yourself by gently massaging him from head to tail while thinking healing positive thoughts.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom