• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Administering homeopathic medicines

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I take homeopathics myself so know never to give homeopathic medicines with food, as is common with conventional meds/vitamins, etc., but- is it okay to put the pillules to dissolve in water? My dog turns up his nose at actually putting these things in his mouth. He wouldn’t even take it from a dropper. I want to be sure he’s getting the meds so they’ll (hopefully!) make him continue to improve but want to be sure it will work this way.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question! I actually much prefer to put *all* homeopathic medicine doses in solution. This way they are best absorbed by the nerves of the mucous membranes (gums and other oral mucosa).

For reluctant patients, after dissolving the medicine in 1 cup of water, I ask clients to use a syringe to administer. This can then be squirted in the side of his mouth. No need to even open his mouth. If he spits some out, that’s OK.

For really difficult pets, you can add a few drops of milk to the liquid and just let him lick it up.

There are other methods (such as spritzing with a spray bottle), but these usually work.

Good luck!

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Got the syringes today (gratis from CVS- they were so kind when I told them what I wanted them for) I’m not sure how many pillules to add to the 1 C (distilled) water. I’m trying mercurius solubilis – his vet gave us sulfur 6X (I think it was 6X?) but there was just so much improvement. He had to have his teeth cleaned last month, had bad tartar scaled off, couple of loose teeth that had to come out. He was on cephalexin for a week but I don’t want to go the “anti” route if we can avoid it, so I researched (I take homeopathic meds too and have Dr. Pitcairn’s book among others) and came up with mercurius solubilis as something that might help. He is eating great but hasn’t barked much at all since the procedure, seems like it might hurt to do so, and doesn’t want to go for long walks much any more. I’m chronicling everything for future reference.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Just 1 pillule medicates the entire cup! Then every dose that you give from this solution is medicated. You can even use some of this water to medicate another cup of water!

Have fun.

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
In my experience, most remedies work fine even if you touch them, put them in a little food, dot on the nose or even paw to be licked off.
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom